OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

17hmr which scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vp bt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 17hmr which scope?
    Posted: August/06/2010 at 07:39
Hi, I'm new to all this and I'm in the process of getting my licence. I have put on lay-by a Browning T bolt sporter 17hmr and for my brother a cz classic 17hmr. I have shot a gun before but without a scope. I have around the $300AUD to spend on a scope. Mialls gun shop has shown me 3 different brands of scopes and unsure which to get. Nikko Stirling night eater 3-10x42 Bushnell thorpy xlt 3-9x40 or the Nikon prostaff. i will be shooting bunnies and foxes and grey kangaroos. thanks for all the input in advance
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 07:40
Of the three you listed I would get the Nikon
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Derrik View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 08:32
Nikon = much more reliable than Nikko Stirling and Bushnell Trophy.
and IMO better optics as well.
Vp bt1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vp bt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 19:22
i have put on lay-by the bushnell elite 3200 3-10x40
Longarm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 23:49

Good choice, I would take an elite over ANY Nikon.

VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 07:36
You will catch hell trying to replace/repair a Bushnel scope, even the Elite model. Bushnell was never good at customer service. Nikon is the way to go here.
Longarm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 18:36

I have a Nikon Monarch 3x12x42 that isn't near the scope that my Bushnell Elite 4200 is. The Elite is better and it costs less.  My buddy has a cheap Bushnell banner that looks just as good as my $400 Monarch and it burns me up. I think he paid $80 for it, so that has spoiled me on Nikon.  I have a Nikon team primos that is decent but I wish I would have bought an Elite 3200 instead but, hindsight is 20/20.  I will probably never buy another Nikon or Leopold. 

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 21:50
Yes the banners and trophys all look as good as some of the more expensive glass. One difference though to me is how well the scopes handle glare and reflection. I had a trophy shotgun scope and really liked the view and it is definately clear and sharp enough for hunting, but take it outside in daylight and compare it to those higher priced scopes and you will see that the Trophy and Banner have a lot of glare and reflection on the eye piece making the image hazy and sometimes hard to see good. More money gets you better anti reflection coatings and a tad better resoloution.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 09:05
Welcom to OT  VP .My experience with Bushnell is my .460mag broke my elite 6500 after only 68 rounds.Wrapped it up sent it back with a $10 check,had a brad new one in my hands 8 days later,no questions asked!I beleive there elite glass is very good.
A sugjestion:Take a look at the Vortex Vipers 2-7 that SWFA are selling,they are a better bang for the buck then the scopes you are looking at.Good luck!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 17:04
+1 on the Viper 2-7. That is a good power range for the 17 HMR .
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic