OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss FL Diavari Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vilkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss FL Diavari Scopes
    Posted: August/05/2010 at 00:17
I have just ordered myself a Remington 700 Varmint SPS .308WIN with the aim to do some target shooting initially up to 500 metres and eventually shooting up to 1000 metres.

I am in the market for scopes and like the look and features of the Zeiss FL Diavari scopes, specifically the Victory FL Diavari 6 -24 x 56T*FL.

Has anyone used this scope and can give me some feedback on it and also would anyone advise/recommend a different brand of scope for me.

Although I have been shooting for years through work and hobbies this is my first foray into this specific sport.
Vilkas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vilkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 09:09
Delete reference to above mentioned scope, price way out of range. Now looking at the following. Leupold VX-3 riflescope 6.5-20x50mm

Any comments?
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 19:29
Do yourself a huge favor & stay away from the over priced Leupolds. I would go with the Conquest 6.5-20x50.

Edited by Obi Wan Kenobi - August/06/2010 at 19:33
jleinum09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 21:47
I agree with obi wan, leupold are way overpriced for the quality that you get.  Go with the Conquest. IMO it is a way better scope for the money
One Shot, One Kill
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 13:37
+1 with the Conquest,if you want to go a few dollars less you might also look at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on sale at SWFA for $399.95............
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 14:57
 If you're a stickler for image quality, the only rival the Zeiss FL Diavari line has is the Swarovski Z6 line. Again, purely from an image quality perspective.
 If you have the $ you won't be disappointed.
Maine? Where's that?
Vilkas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vilkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 08:45
I am happy to spend up to $1500 AU, which is around $1350 US, but not quite straight conversion as our anti gun government slaps heaps of taxes on anything gun related. So most likely around $1000 US scope.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 08:58
Both are good scopes with leupold giving more choice in reticle,turret and size options. Nothing the conquest will do the leupold can't and vice versa. Conquests will sometimes give mounting problems if the distance between the turrets and tube flairs is a problem from the scope base.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Vilkas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vilkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 18:52
Dale, thanks for that. I did play with a Luepold, with different reticle to the varmints hunters one which is the one I would like and was impressed. Cost for Luepold VX-3 6.5-20x50mm is 1450$AU. I am yet to pin down a price on the conquest to compare.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 19:18
I use the varmint reticle on a 4.5x14, the z800 on a 4.5x14 conquest, regular reticle on another 4.5x14 conquest, the plex on 6.5x20 leo. and the z1000 on a 6.5x24x56 Diavari, each one is different although they use the same basic approach for drop compensation. All work well, but you should maybe study the reticles to see which one you like.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 20:30
Another scope you might want to look at in your price range is Trijicon 5-20x50.Stay with the green as it is the brightest per their rep.The glass is similar to the Coquest!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 22:44
I have the 6-24x56 Diavari Z1000, its amazing when I put it on my rifle I could shot a water gallon at 500, 600, 700, 800 yards consistently, first I thought it was the gun, then I changed to another rifle and it seems like the gun accuracy becomes much better with it...... 
By the way, I have a mossberg 4x4 that never ever shot well, it had bushnells, simmons, leupolds, etc... but when I put a Conquest 4.5-14x50 Z1000, it became very accurate. So now I have learned that if you intend to get some level of accuracy on your gun get a good scope and good ammo point !!!
The only issue with the diavari 6-24x is that the FOV for hunting isn't very adecuate, sometimes you can get a nice buck at close range 80-120 yds, and you wont find it easy with it. The swarovski magnification of: 5-30x Z6, seems to be the ultimate scope......

Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 22:55
When I started to hit at 500 yards, it was very difficult for me to go farther, I was using a 3-12x scope,  I couldnt hit any farther than that, then I got the 6-24x and it let me go up to 800 yds now, With the same rifle, then I changed it to another rifle and hitting is no much problem, I cant hit with any gun as well as the one that mounts the 6-24X zeiss. that's what I mean. It gives you an edge, and much more confidence on your gun. I think that the conquest 6-20X could be a very close option.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic