OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP
    Posted: August/04/2010 at 20:29
Mine should be here tomorrow but in the mean time are there any reviews on OT you can point me to? Would like to do a bit of reading on it from our experts.

Thanks!
gcp
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 20:35
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 20:48
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 21:14
You will not be disappointed.  I was blown away with how good it was when I got mine.  Definitely my favorite scope.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 06:10
Thanks guys!!
gcp
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 14:37
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 16:33
Now I've got to put together a sniper rifle to go under this hea scope, Chris you're costing me way too much money. But who's complaining, such toys are some of the best things life offers. Derek's a good man btw!

Edited by gcp - August/05/2010 at 16:34
gcp
Derrik View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 16:44
Thanks GCP glad I could help!
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 05:19
Love SWFA service, 2 days and the scope is already in my hands but it didn't come with a manual. Derrik, is there a link I can download from? Great selection by Derrik, my open item scope, for $100 less, looks and feels new!

First impressions, this is a very good looking scope but the turrets don't have the audible click my old 16X does, was this a design change? I kinda of prefer the old feel.

Feels solid and has very clear optics but I have yet to see a difference between it and my Nikon Buckmaster, even in low light. But I will put it through its paces today, when I get the chance to mount and shoot it through my LMT AR, and will report back.

Thanks again, in my book SWFA is tops in CS!!

Edited by gcp - August/06/2010 at 05:21
gcp
Derrik View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 08:23
We are currently working on writing up a manual for the 3-9x42 and the 10xHD. Once its done we will have it in a PDF format to send to everyone that wishes to receive it. The turrets are not quite as audible as the older fixed power scopes, but the clicks are much more defined. What i have found with the new turrets is the more you turn them, they do seem to become more audible.  Enjoy!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 08:37
GCP also check out Kenton industries and the custom turrets they do if you want.  I am going to get a set done pretty soon to use as soon as I get my load data and range data set in stone.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Derrik View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 08:38
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Turrett Dial SWFA SS 3-9x42 Turrett Dial
Item Added on 8/6/2010
SSK1 $24.95

Less
$24.95
Subtotal: $24.95
(subtotal does not include tax or shipping)

Yeah these are pretty cool

Edited by Derrik - August/06/2010 at 08:39
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 21:41
How does it look to you?

I'll shoot my LMT tomorrow to see how the scope/rife will perform.

Thinking of putting this rifle under the 3x9SS, or even my 16X. Does anyone have personal experience on this Savage rifle?
gcp
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 16:27

Gents, after shooting it I must say that this is a very-very nice scope. But I do have an observation and a question, it seems that the crosshairs while on a paper target, due to paralex most likely, have the artifact of appearing double/out of focus at times, unless my eye is dead on them so I had to spend time reaquiring the target quite a few times is this normal? Or is it my eyes going from old to older? I properly focused the crosshairs but is there another setting I have missed? 

Edited by gcp - August/08/2010 at 16:30
gcp
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 17:05
This scope does not have any parallax issues at all.  Most likely the reticle is not focused to your eye.

The ocular focus (eye piece) is how you focus the reticle.  It is the only thing this focus does, it is not an image focus.

Unlock the lock ring and aim the scope at the sky (so your eye will not focus on an object) and turn the focus until the reticle is crisp and clear.  Lower it and rest your eye and repeat several times.  Then lock it down and you should be good to go.
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 17:49
Chris, I did exactly that but not many times so I'll repeat the process.

Thanks!
gcp
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 18:38
Looks great!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic