OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold LPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold LPS
    Posted: August/02/2010 at 20:39
Hello All

I dont know if this topic has been discussed so forgive me if this has already been covered. I am currently interested in a Leupold LPS scope that is listed on SWFA. Now its my understanding that these scopes were discontinued when the VX 7 was introduced. My question is are the ones being offered for sale on SWFA old stock left over or are they a newly designed scope. The reason for my concern is that these scopes retailed for over a 1000 dollars when they came out. The price on there is less than 700$ Are they just trying to get rid of the left over stock for a discounted price or are they still being produced by leupold. I wont 2 of these scopes i just wonna make sure its the same scope with the same features as the LPS that first came out. Thanks guys

JOe  
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 18:42
If its on the "sample list" it may be used or a demo, if its on their main site it is new.  Either way Leupold has a life time warrenty so nothing to worry about.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 20:23
cool. See this is my delema. Weatherby mark v 257 wby mag needs glass. I wonted a vx 7. But after looking at it long and hard at the gun shop I feel the scope is over priced. I think it should be in the 8 to 9 hundred dollar range. Dont get me wrong i loved the features just didnt see a 1300 $$ scope. That led me to the LPS.  the only problem now is the only reticle they offer on SWFA is the German number 1! i wonted the number 4 or the Boone and Crockett.   
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 02:27
I am not a big fan of VX-7 or the LPS, but if you want #4 reticle, the VX-7 is just over a grand:

Personally, I would probably get a less expensive scope with the #4 reticle.  For example, Minox ZA-3 and ZA-5 should be available with #4 some time this fall.

Alternatively, you can look at Meopta scopes.

ILya
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 08:42
This is a very nice scope, #4reticle, 30mm tube and really decent glass.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 09:54
There's also the Trijicon.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 21:03
Love the input guys. Only problem is im a lifelong Leupold owner. I'm very stubborn. I do acknowledge that there are some good optics floating around out there such as the Vortex which i recently got a chance to examine. My problem with them is the lack of a 30mm tube. Im now looking at the 6.5x20x40 vx 3. I did run across a Zeiss Davari 3x9x42 1 inch tube used but mint for 600$. I know my optics but im a little ignorant on the 1 inch german versions. Are they the same quality as the 30mm counterparts???   
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 21:36
Originally posted by jgm1981 jgm1981 wrote:

Love the input guys. Only problem is im a lifelong Leupold owner. I'm very stubborn. I do acknowledge that there are some good optics floating around out there such as the Vortex which i recently got a chance to examine. My problem with them is the lack of a 30mm tube. Im now looking at the 6.5x20x40 vx 3. I did run across a Zeiss Davari 3x9x42 1 inch tube used but mint for 600$. I know my optics but im a little ignorant on the 1 inch german versions. Are they the same quality as the 30mm counterparts???   

all things considered, the 1" tube and the 30MM tube wont be any different optically as long as the glass and coatings are the same. the tube diameter has zero to do with optical quality.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 21:49
exactly. It does have little or nothing to do with optical quality but i appreciate the look of a 30mm tube scope more than a 1 inch. Dont kill me guys but i ordered the 3.5x14x50 vx 7 with the German # 4 reticle. I was offered a really good price and went ahead with it. I know this horse has been beaten in the ground but this company just backs these products so well. In turn i believe this is reason for a stiffer price tag when you add up the glass quality. I have a vintage Remington model 700 22-250 varmint special that im going to scope up soon when the bank account recovers!! ha. On this buy im gonna get outside my Leupold box a little a get more opinion on a good medium power scope and im not buying Leupold this time. Im not buying Nikon either. Ive had nightmares with these scopes not holding zero. I will be posting thread soon looking for advise. My budget will be much less on this one. 400 on the high end 300 on the low. FFII will definitely get some looks!!     
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 10:18
Let us know your thoughts on the scope, that makes two of us now who are Leupold fans.Wink
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 10:25
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Let us know your thoughts on the scope, that makes two of us now who are Leupold fans.Wink

you are a fan, this guy is a fanatic, big difference, you realize that there are other choices out there, he doesnt.Wink
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 22:35
I'm not a fanatic about anything. Im posted several times on here praising other optics such as vortex and Burris. This is my first scope purchase north of a grand. And believe it or not the most reliable lower end scope ive ever owned was a pre Meade Aetec.Absolutely couldn't beat them in the day for less that 200$ BTW got a few k4 weavers that are some good ones too  
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 23:21
I have a hunting buddy has a pre meaded Aetec. It's a great little scope, and doing a fine job year after year.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 21:37
Yes sir its amazing how sturdy those scopes were for the price. Their fall from prominence has been an unfortunate one.  
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic