OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2-7 Viper $ drop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2-7 Viper $ drop
    Posted: August/06/2010 at 20:45
  I've never had a 4200 and it's been a long time since I've looked through a 3200.  What I can tell you if it helps is that with my Viper at 4X the image is just a hair narrower than my 4X Conquest.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 20:43
Originally posted by ChileRelleno ChileRelleno wrote:

Originally posted by DAVE44 DAVE44 wrote:

I have had a Bushnell Trophy with the circle x reticle and I liked that reticle also. Have you had a Circle X reticle scope? If so, do you like this one better? The thing I liked about the trophy was the larger sight picture, I dont care for small tube views on a hunting rifle. Would you say that the view is at least comparable to a bushnell 3-9x40 3200 or 4200 in image size or is it smaller?

Vortex Viper's FoV - 46.7-13.4 feet/100 yards
Bushnell 4200 FoV - 33.8/11@3x 11.5/4@9x

Viper wins.

the only thing that sucks is that the viper doesnt have rainguard, you do get a set of see through lens covers though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 20:41

The dimensions of the C3 reticle are completely different than the Circle-X.

Circle-X                                                              C3
                     Circle-X                                             Versa-Plex C3
   As far as a comparison to the Bushnell's. I've never had a 4200 and it's been a long time since I've looked through a 3200.   What I can tell you is that with my Viper on 4X the image is just a hair smaller than the image in my 4X Conquest.
ChileRelleno View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChileRelleno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 20:41

I have had a Bushnell Trophy with the circle x reticle and I liked that reticle also. Have you had a Circle X reticle scope? If so, do you like this one better? The thing I liked about the trophy was the larger sight picture, I dont care for small tube views on a hunting rifle. Would you say that the view is at least comparable to a bushnell 3-9x40 3200 or 4200 in image size or is it smaller?

Vortex Viper's FoV - 46.7-13.4 feet/100 yards
Bushnell 4200 FoV - 33.8/11@3x 11.5/4@9x

Viper wins.
Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov "I am still ready to shake hands with anyone who designs a better assault rifle than mine.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 20:31

I am considering a regular plex but everyone who has the C3 seems to like it. How thin are the inner circle lines. What exactly is this reticle made for or good for. I have no need for holdover reticles I do mostly short range woods hunting. It just seems like in low light you would have nothing that you could see to aim with.

for me my thoughts were for a dgr scope, or for pushing timber type. if what you want to hit is inside that inner circle its toast.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 20:30
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

"NEED" is not a word in the SWFA dictionary.  Bucky

Dave,the inner circle lines are not so thick that they bother the view if that's what concerns you.. Also,the thick parts of the reticle are wider than they look in the reticle image below. Everyone who has looked through mine says that their focus is immediately drawn to the center of the reticle.  I've always been a post and crosshair kind a guy for a reticle that is fast on target but this C3 TO ME is better.

Versa-Plex C3 Reticle

This reticle is designed for quick and easy target acquisition at closer distances while still maintaining good distance precision. Ideal for the shotgun, black-powder, and dangerous game hunter.

amen to that!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 20:12
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 20:05
  "NEED" is not a word in the SWFA dictionary.  Bucky

Dave,the inner circle lines are not so thick that they bother the view if that's what concerns you.. Also,the thick parts of the reticle are wider than they look in the reticle image below. Everyone who has looked through mine says that their focus is immediately drawn to the center of the reticle.  I've always been a post and crosshair kind a guy for a reticle that is fast on target but this C3 TO ME is better.

Versa-Plex C3 Reticle

This reticle is designed for quick and easy target acquisition at closer distances while still maintaining good distance precision. Ideal for the shotgun, black-powder, and dangerous game hunter.

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 19:38
Pyro I have a old cdl 270 mtn rifle pretty much just like yours. I know it will kill your soul but mine has a shiny 3x9 Leupold on top of it. I will admit I am having a tuff time fighting the urge to order one of these 2x7 vipers. I just don't really need it.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 19:29
I am considering a regular plex but everyone who has the C3 seems to like it. How thin are the inner circle lines. What exactly is this reticle made for or good for. I have no need for holdover reticles I do mostly short range woods hunting. It just seems like in low light you would have nothing that you could see to aim with.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 18:25
I am going to get one with C3 reticle, I think.

I much prefer that to the BDC.

ILya
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 18:23
VERY good looking rifle!  Those CDLs are a class act, and that one has some pretty nice wood in that stock.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 17:41
Originally posted by powderburn powderburn wrote:

"are you kidding me, gloss is for womens lips".

And for people with purty rifles.

I know I'm an old fart, addicted to nice walnut and deep blued steel. I am coming around a bit though, I would consider a matte for my stevens 200. It would hardly be noticeable along side the ugly plastic stock. ;^)

ive got a beautiful m700 cdl in a .264win mag and the last thing in the world i would want is some shiny scope to take away from it. i would long before consider a silver scope before gloss. besides it scares off the animals, and the zombies will know right where you are when the sun is shining.Wink

Edited by pyro6999 - August/06/2010 at 17:43
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 16:46

Thanks for that update, ChileRelleno!  Much appreciated.  Mine will be going on a Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts that I got a month or so back.  With some Burris Signature rings, it should be a great match.  I was going to use my new Trijicon 3-9 on it, but decided to save that for another project that I'm slowwwwly accumulating parts for.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChileRelleno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 14:21
Originally posted by blacktails blacktails wrote:

The 2-7 with BDC is on back order, at least they were a couple of days ago when I ordered mine.  They sent me an email the next day after I ordered, saying they were out of stock.  Hopefully they'll be in fairly soon.  Worth waiting for from what I hear.

Yep back ordered...  I called CS and they said next shipment is due next week.
Said, 10 2-7 BDCs were ordered and six, mine included, are spoken for.
So with luck, our 2-7 BDCs, should ship next week.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 14:10

The 2-7 with BDC is on back order, at least they were a couple of days ago when I ordered mine.  They sent me an email the next day after I ordered, saying they were out of stock.  Hopefully they'll be in fairly soon.  Worth waiting for from what I hear.

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 08:14
"are you kidding me, gloss is for womens lips".

And for people with purty rifles.

I know I'm an old fart, addicted to nice walnut and deep blued steel. I am coming around a bit though, I would consider a matte for my stevens 200. It would hardly be noticeable along side the ugly plastic stock. ;^)
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChileRelleno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 22:57
Pulled the trigger on the 2-7 BDC and .75" Burris Xtreme Tactical rings.

Took me long enuff...  LOL
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChileRelleno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 21:56
Guys/gals...
I appreciate the replies.
I know little of optics and have been really torn on making a good choice for my $
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 21:56
i got the versa plex for mine, its very nice. i think you will be happy with it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic