OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

So many choices, makes a decision hard.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChileRelleno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So many choices, makes a decision hard.
    Posted: August/01/2010 at 20:24
Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50 or 3-9x40 BDC
Vortex Viper 3-9x40 BDC
Great CS from personal experience and I use their StrikeFire red dot on my AR.

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 BPR
Fullfield II Tactical 3-9x40 BPR
Fullfield Tac 30 3.5-10x50 BPR LRS

Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 BDC
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 BDC

Millet,
I really like the DMS 1-4x24 on a AR, not what I want on here though.
What about the TRS-1?
Heard about poor QC and lackluster CS, any truth there?

Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 QDMA RBR
CS seems to have fallen off along with the QC of their lower end items?

Bushnell seems to have some decent offerings in their Banner, 3200, 4200 & 6500 scopes.
But I understand their CS is very hit or miss, with emphasis on miss.

Trying to decide on a scope for my Saiga.308-ver.21, I want to stay right around $250-350.
But every time I go to pull the trigger I get major second thoughts.

Just looking for some input, the above scopes are what I'm debating.
Primarily shooting 100-500 yards, but would like to be able to go out 600+ yards.
Will be punching holes in paper, hunting the plentiful deer/hog and coyotes here on the Gulf Coast.

Would like some sort of BDC reticle or be able to easily dial the range up/down from a 200 yard zero.

Probably mount on either a 'BP-02 low profile, centered, side mount', or 'Texas Weapons Systems Dog Leg scope rail' with appropriate rings'.

I know this isn't a precision rifle, most are 2 MOA with the barrel's favorite flavor of ammo.
So far I've only had my tired'ol mark1 eyeballs over iron sights, and some commercial hunting ammo.  I'm not the greatest shot, need to work more on my medium-long range skills, e.g. control breath (FS rise on exhale) and combine with NPOA.
I do much better being able to see the dagblasted target and not just a blur over the front post.
I can consistently ring a steel human silhouette at 200 yards and approx 50/50 at 500 yards, but don't know where I was hitting exactly (no spotter), and my eyes just barely make out the black silhouette at 500.

I think it'll do quite well with half decent glass on it.
Minute of Man, minute of pie plate or to take down some four legged critters.
50 yards

100 yards, with some squirrely winds.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 21:19
either the viper or the monarch
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 06:56
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

either the viper or the monarch
My thoughts exactly, although I might add the diamondback into the mix as well
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 12:01
+1 Viper
-Matt
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 12:18
From your list, I would go with Vortex Viper.  It will offer you the most performance for the money.

As far as shooting beyond 500 yards with a Saiga goes, that may be a bit of a tall order.  Saigas are actually a bit more accurate than most people give them credit for, but they are picky about ammo, so you need to do some experimenting.

Another problem for precision shooting with a Saiga is the scope mounting.  The side mount is fairly robust, but most of them put the scope up pretty high and not directly over the bore.  With the standard buttstock and forearm you will not have much cheekweld and the rifle will be quite prone to canting.  To minimize that, you will also need to look into different scope mounts and, perhaps, get a raised cheekpad of some sort.

ILya
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 19:32
+1 with Viper
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
ChileRelleno View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChileRelleno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 19:42
Thanks for the replies peeps.

Well, my first impression seems to have been correct, Vortex, and Vortex Viper it shall be. 
I may even save a couple hundred more and go for the Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR.
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

From your list, I would go with Vortex Viper.  It will offer you the most performance for the money.

As far as shooting beyond 500 yards with a Saiga goes, that may be a bit of a tall order.  Saigas are actually a bit more accurate than most people give them credit for, but they are picky about ammo, so you need to do some experimenting.

Another problem for precision shooting with a Saiga is the scope mounting.  The side mount is fairly robust, but most of them put the scope up pretty high and not directly over the bore.  With the standard buttstock and forearm you will not have much cheekweld and the rifle will be quite prone to canting.  To minimize that, you will also need to look into different scope mounts and, perhaps, get a raised cheekpad of some sort.

ILya

Koshkin,
I just pulled the trigger on a TWS Dog Leg Rail,
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rings-bases/military-rifle-mounts/p/ak-flat-top-scope-mount-dog-leg-by-texas-weapon-systems-/cPath/203_206_222/products_id/3820
Great reviews from some Saiga/AK aficionados who's advice I trust.
That'll sit it centerline and the top of the rail is only approx .75" above the top of the dust cover. 
I figure, once mounted, the scope's centerline will sit approx 1.75"-2" above the dust cover, so a good cheek weld is likely with my stock.
If not a small pad will do the the trick.

Yes,  Saigas are under rated on accuracy, most 21" S.308s will average 2 MOA with decent ammo, there are plenty who find their barrels favorite flavor, or handload, and have tuned their rifles into 1 MOA rifles.

As stated, I already have shot over the irons, well within Minute of Man on steel human silhouettes at 500 yards, about 50/50 once I had the holdover.
I do plan on trying quite a few commercial/surplus loads, see what she likes.
 I'm not however, unfortunately, setup to reload at this time, so no custom hand loads.

This my Saiga.308-ver.21, sorry if ya'll don't like a lil'gun pRon Shocked

And for good measure, my Saiga12

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChileRelleno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 20:12
Thanks again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChileRelleno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 20:57
OK, as stated,
"Primarily shooting 100-500 yards, but would like to be able to go out 600+ yards.
Will be punching holes in paper, hunting the plentiful deer/hog and coyotes here on the Gulf Coast."
Which Viper should I get, which combo of magnification/objective do you think would best serve my usage?
2-7x32, dang! a frikkin great sale price, $179.99.
3-9x40
3.5-10x50,
the V-Plex is in my price range.
4-12x40, the V-Plex is in my price range.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic