OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low mag variable for a "practical rifle"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyDuty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low mag variable for a "practical rifle"
    Posted: August/01/2010 at 12:33
I've been wanting to build a "practical rifle" for some time now - a short, light, 1-3x or 1-4x optic equipped rifle in .308 for offhand use out to 200 or so yards.  (I've heard these referred to as "walking rifles" if that helps.)  I was planning on building this - someday - on a Tikka T3 Lite, but I found a Stevens 200 and was able to afford starting the project right now.

I've had good luck with Talley one piece rings/bases on my 700, so I'm leaning to using them on this rifle.  I'm trying to decide what optic to use with about a $300 or so budget.  So far I'm considering the Nikon 1-4x Monarch African, a Weaver 1-3x, a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x or a Leupold VX-II 1-4x.  Illuminated would be a plus but I think it's unlikely with any kind of quality in my price range.  A forgiving eye box is a major issue for me.

Can anyone offer their experiences with less expensive lower powered variables like these?  Thanks!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 14:10
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 14:54
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 16:56
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

this is what i would suggest to you

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P10818.aspx

I missed the $300 budget that the OP posted.
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 17:40
As far as a forgiving eyebox, my Leupold 1-4 shotgun scope is the best I've used. It's on a short, light, 308. Fast and easy to use. I suspect that the shorter parallax setting and heavy duplex help that. I have a 2-8x Burris Signature on another 308. The glass is better in low light, and the higher magnification comes in handy, and 2X is low enough. It is not as forgiving, and the reticle is a bit thin.
The Monarch 1-4 sounds like a good scope for your purposes. The Burris Fullfield II 2-7 with the #4 reticle is another that might be worth considering.
HeavyDuty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyDuty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 19:02

Shenko - you know, I hadn't considered a shotgun scope with shorter parallax - I think it would be quite appropriate for this rifle.  That's the VX-I, right?

Cheaptrick - I wish my budget stretched that far!  If it did, I'd go with an Accupoint in a heartbeat.  I'm still looking for a used one that I might be able to stretch and get.

Pyro - I'd really like to stay 1x or 1.5x max on the short end.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 19:07
I had a VX I 1-4X20 and it was one of the worst scopes I have used as far as clarity and low light performance.  Maybe the VX II would be better.  I'd really like the VX3 1.5-5, but that might be more money than you want to spend.  All in all, I'd look at the VX I before you bought it.  I'm guessing you wouldn't buy it after seeing it.  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 21:22
Originally posted by HeavyDuty HeavyDuty wrote:

Shenko - you know, I hadn't considered a shotgun scope with shorter parallax - I think it would be quite appropriate for this rifle.  That's the VX-I, right?

Cheaptrick - I wish my budget stretched that far!  If it did, I'd go with an Accupoint in a heartbeat.  I'm still looking for a used one that I might be able to stretch and get.

Pyro - I'd really like to stay 1x or 1.5x max on the short end.

the difference between 1.5 and 2 is nothing, im not sure if vortex is like a lot of other company's, if it is the 2x is closer to 1.5-1.75x
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 22:38
You should consider a scout rifle--- handy, powerful, fast, and anything a 1-4 will do a 2 extended eye relief will do.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 22:39
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

this is what i would suggest to you

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P10818.aspx

I missed the $300 budget that the OP posted.

WOW!!! Thats a great price! I bought two last week for $259 a piece!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 23:23
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95
I really like a fixed 6 power scope the thing is this one can be used that way and still be able to extend range well out past    600 yds.  6x will come on target pretty good well under 100 yds and will be a very bright optic in low light.  The mil dots can be used for know hold over marks and you have the choice to dial in correction with the tactical knobs or you can have Kenton engrave knobs in yards. I also like several of the other fixed 6x scopes that are out there for this type of use but most dont have the features the SS does. If you did not want knobs I would look at the other fixed 6x scopes from Leupold, Burris and  Weaver and see what works for you.  Leupold has what they call long range duplex which has two hold over marks below center for longer distances. I also have a Leupold Vx3 in 6x42 Heavy Duplex and it is very easy to pick up the reticle in low light and the new VX3 glass is quite an improverment over lesser quality Leupolds.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95
If you need somthing illuminated you may want an aimpoint.
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$389.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 00:53
A Vortex Viper for $180? Grab it.
Thanks, Pyro.

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 01:30
Burris also makes a decent scout scope,they also make a line called timberland thats within your price range.5 years ago I purchased a Burris 4x scope called the magnum it took a hell of a beating on a magnum rifle I use & held up very well,they stopped production 3 yrs ago but if you do a search you might find one for about $200.SWFA used to have them on the list,might want to give them a call. 
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
HeavyDuty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyDuty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 07:35
I think I've got it down to either a Nikon 1-4x Monarch African or a Leupold VX-II 1-4x.  I'm going to try and check them out locally.
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 10:06
The #4 reticule on the Monarch should work well in low light.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 18:38
I've used the VXII 1-4x20 quite a bit and really like it.  I've used them on a .375h&h, 35 whelen and one on 7400 auto in 30-06 for deer hunting. The rifle was terrible, but I liked the scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
HeavyDuty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyDuty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 20:24
I took a drive after work to one of the largest gun stores in the area and they didn't have the Nikon nor the VX-II.  They did have a Mark AR 1.5-4x, not bad - but I want to see the VX-II in particular first.  I think it's time for a Cabellas trip.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 23:07
I have one of these on my on my Marlin 1895G. Its a great scope, lightweight, clear tough and doesnt cost a fortune.

1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 07:59
Trijicon 1-4x24 #4/dot is the way to go http://swfa.com/Trijicon-Accu-Point-Rifle-Scopes-C207.aspx
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
HeavyDuty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyDuty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 08:05
Bill, I'd go Accupoint in a heartbeat but they're well outside of budget for this build - even the used ones I've found are almost twice my $300 limit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic