OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Whey some reticles maka scope so much more

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whey some reticles maka scope so much more
    Posted: July/30/2010 at 12:31
I was just looking at the vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 and the target dot reticle version is only 299 while the Vplex version is 459 and then the Mil dot and BDC versions are 499. It seems a bit strange that just the reticle makes that much difference in the price.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 13:08
I have to agree.  but I dont know how much more work goes into the reticle.  Maybe Scott or Sam can chime in.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
hebertjb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebertjb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 07:32

economies of scale lowers the average cost per unit through increased production since fixed costs are shared over an increased number of goods. 

I'm sure they sell far fewer mil dot scopes so the cost to make them is higher
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 08:42
A lot of companies charge more for their specialty reticles - they hold the patent - they feel what they have created is worth money so if you want it they charge more for it. Look at the Horus reticles and look how much Leupold charges for their balistic reticles --- it's most manufacturers. If it makes what you are doing easier to do successfully you just pay it  - that is how they make money, and you make the choice which model is worth your money. The fact that each reticle design is patented is why we have so many different styles because each company does not want to pay the other company to use their reticle design. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 09:34
Good to know.....Thanks
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 09:42
Good info. I just realized how terrible my spelling was in my post. Sorry.
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 09:07
Originally posted by saitotiktmdog saitotiktmdog wrote:

I was just looking at the vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 and the target dot reticle version is only 299 while the Vplex version is 459 and then the Mil dot and BDC versions are 499. It seems a bit strange that just the reticle makes that much difference in the price.

I do not work directly in sales, but my guess would be that SWFA and Vortex have worked out something with the target dot model in order to sell it at that price. Normally that model is $459 along with the vplex. Although, different more complex reticles like the dhbdc and the mil dot do cost more. Hope this helps guys. 

By the way I am out on the road for a few weeks(Rocky Mountain 3gun and a few other little things) so I will do my best to monitor the forum, but I just wont have much time. Feel free to pm me and I will do my best to get back to you in a timely fashion.

Scott

www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 09:24
Good luck Scott! Thanks again for the in-sight!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic