OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barnes triple shock bullets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barnes triple shock bullets
    Posted: July/29/2010 at 16:15
SmileAnybody out there who has used Barnes .224 diameter triple shock bullets for deer?
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 08:28
Haven't tried those yet.  But, I have used the 90 XFB (pre TSX) in a 6mm Rem. with great success. 
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 09:04
I haven't used the TSX in that caliber, but I think it would be ideal.  If I were to use a 223 or 22/250 for deer I'd choose the above mentioned bullet or the 60gr nosler.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
little cleo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 19:31
I don't want to steal this post but I have to ask something.  Most of the people using barnes bullets have them going very fast do they ruin more meat or less than the average soft point lead core bullet? 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 21:06
I think the tripleshock is an excellent bullet for upping the capabilities of smaller calibers.

I killed a big bull elk at 400+ yards with a .270 WSM and a 140 grain TSX.  The bullet struck on-shoulder, shattered the bone, turned the lungs to ribbons, broke through the off shoulder, penetrated the far hide, and somehow hung up in the hide with the mushroom petals sticking into the air on the offside!

A testiment to the toughness of bull elk:  That old boy soaked up the hit with BOTH front shoulders shattered.  Stood for 30 seconds, wobbled, and fell where he stood.

Very little meat was ruined on entrance or exit, but the vitals were a big gelatinous pile of goo.

The recovered bullet's shank bent, and it sheared of one of the four "petals," but performed admirably in the humble .270 caliber.

Here it is:

I have also found these to be pretty easy to get to shoot if you seat em a little ways off the lands, as Barnes recommends.

An excellent bullet, although I use Accubonds more often now due to their higher BCs.
-Matt
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 08:35
They don't tear up much meat.  Not near as bad as say a Nosler Ballistic Tip or Hornady SST.  I shoot the 90g XFB out of the 6mm at around 3300 fps and the 100g TSX out of my .25-06 at just over 3300 fps.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 21:39
i tried the 120gr 6.5mm tsx in my .264 and my 6.5 rem mag and i couldnt get them to shoot.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 11:57
Pyro,

Did you give them a bit of jump to the lands?
I found that giving them enough room was essential to getting tight groups.
-Matt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 16:45
yeah i went from .20 to .30 off and it didnt make much difference, i was pretty disturbed by it, i tried it in two different rifles to make sure it wasnt the gun.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 05:37
 Pyro I had the same experience with the 7mag but that may have been the gun, it would not group anything under 3"@100.Manufactor said it was acceptable and with in specs.
 As for the original question here in Ct. anything under 6mm is not legal for hunting deer.
froggy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 12:57
Pyro,

I had a 30-06 that grouped HUGE until the 168 TSX hit 0.50 off the lands.  Then they ran sub MOA.  Go figure.  Loco  Right around 0.25 off was about the sweet spot in several other rifles.  On-game performance for the 168 TSX was incredible (dead where they stood), but I never did recover one to check out the mushroom.

-Matt
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 14:10
I also had very good luck with 180 tsx in my 30-06, this was factory loaded federal ammo.  I no longer use factory loaded ammo or the Tsx bullets, but I was very satisfied with the results.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 18:36
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Pyro,

I had a 30-06 that grouped HUGE until the 168 TSX hit 0.50 off the lands.  Then they ran sub MOA.  Go figure.  Loco  Right around 0.25 off was about the sweet spot in several other rifles.  On-game performance for the 168 TSX was incredible (dead where they stood), but I never did recover one to check out the mushroom.

unfortunately i couldnt go out anymore than i did, the mag wouldnt allow it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 20:33
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Pyro,

If you load further away from the lands then that will make your loaded rounds shorter which will be better able to fit in the mag, not less.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 22:49

Pyro,

Pyro, there should be plenty of room if you are loading them .50 off the lands, as I am suggesting you try putting them in the case a bit farther.  I was glad I didn't quit on the TSX in that 30-06.  Terminal performance and velocities were just about astounding.  If you get a chance, I would give them another go.

Smile
-Matt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 06:43
i guess my guns had more freebore than normal, i measured my max oal and then set the bullets to .020 and .030 back from that point, which required me to seat them less into the case than where i had them for my other bullets.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 06:53

Pyro,

Pyro, there should be plenty of room if you are loading them .50 off the lands, as I am suggesting you try putting them in the case a bit farther.  I was glad I didn't quit on the TSX in that 30-06.  Terminal performance and velocities were just about astounding.  If you get a chance, I would give them another go.

Smile

Uhhh... BB... not to be a smart@$$ or anything, but I think you had a slight decimal point error and meant .050" (fifty thousandths) off the lands, not .50" (one-half inch).  That would be some neat trick to load 'em 1/2" off the lands!

But nevertheless, your point is a valid one.  The TSX's quite frequently like a little jump to the lands to give the best results.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 09:59
Ted,

You caught me, you smartapple you! You are correct, I missed the decimal point there. I meant, of course, 0.050 inches.

I appreciate your fastidiousness.

-Matt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 16:09
i went back and found my notes on those two rifles i havent checked the math so i may have been wrong let me see what i wrote.

6.5rem- max oal 3.115 max mag length 2.843 so at the longest i could possibly seat a bullet in that rifle i was already at .272
.264win- max oal 3.217 mag length was 3.197 so i was at .020 on that one from the start and i know i pushed them in at least to .030 off i dont think i tried .050 that takes up powder space.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 20:25
I have ran them in several guns, started using them with a 6.8 SPC AR for deer and hogs

Have used them in a 243 and about to start load development for the 130 TTSX in 308 for 2 different rifles

They flat out work
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic