OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need a small / light weight pair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tooie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need a small / light weight pair
    Posted: July/28/2010 at 03:54
I have a pair of Steiner 8 x 42 Peregrines, but I need a small pair of binoculars for sightseeing. I was in NYC last weekend wishing I had a pair in my shoulder bag. What do you recommend.... say.... between $200.00-$400.00?

Thank you
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 10:55
Originally posted by Tooie Tooie wrote:

I have a pair of Steiner 8 x 42 Peregrines, but I need a small pair of binoculars for sightseeing. I was in NYC last weekend wishing I had a pair in my shoulder bag. What do you recommend.... say.... between $200.00-$400.00?

Thank you
http://www.leupold.com/observation/products/binoculars/katmai-series/katmai-6x32mm/ 
Tooie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tooie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 19:07
Thanks for the advice. What would I be giving up if I went with a Steiner 8.5 x 26 Wildlife...at 10 oz? 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 21:36

Thanks for the advice. What would I be giving up if I went with a Steiner 8.5 x 26 Wildlife...at 10 oz? 

Personally, I never owned, used, or looked through a Steiner 8.5x26, but here is my opinion for what it is worth.

An extremely light weight binocular of 8.5x, at 9.7ounces, will give you the shakes when hand held.

I tried the Leupold Katmai 8x32mm at 18.9 ounces and I could not keep it as steady as I would have liked.

Also, the very small 3mm exit pupil of the Steiner 8.5x26 makes it more difficult to center on your eye pupils, this will potentially give you some black out issues.

The FOV is much wider in the Katmai 6x32 making the views more panoramic for sightseeing, & the Katmai has a very quick focuser which is excellent for vacationing in the city, as you quickly change from one scene to another on the tour bus. Short Bus

Edited by Bird Watcher - July/29/2010 at 21:56
scopepart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scopepart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 03:09
here!hava good quality telescope on it http://www.scopepart.com
http://www.scopepart.com Telescope and Telescope accessory
Tooie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tooie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 04:46
Well, that explanation makes good sense to me.....thank you very much.  
Tooie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tooie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 04:56
If I go to a 20 oz....6 power, I was just wondering what you think about the Vortex Viper? Is it worth the extra $150.00 over the Katmai?  Thank you 
Derrik View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 08:11
Kahles 8x32 Binocular DEMO-A
  $399.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_ShowProduct_ctl07_OurPrice_VS value=Z6ImdDG4S5gxnEw3CogXSNOx9xjtZllf7jBRN9pP2Jw= = name=ctl00$wpm$ShowProduct$ctl07$OurPrice$VS>

Kahles 8x32 Binocular DEMO-A

Stock # - SPL10614
Add to Wishlist

Mfg. Retail: $972.00 55210, Camo rubber armored, center focus, roof prism, twist out eye cups, 100% new in box discontinued model.... DEMO-A
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 18:29
Originally posted by scopepart scopepart wrote:

here!hava good quality telescope on it http://www.scopepart.com
Must be an alien/Chinese invasion of sorts. I thought the full moon was over. Laser Zap

Edited by Bird Watcher - July/30/2010 at 18:31
Hitthespot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitthespot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 18:50
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Personally, I never owned, used, or looked through a Steiner 8.5x26, but here is my opinion for what it is worth.

Short Bus
I too am looking for a pair of pocket binoculars for taking hiking under heavy canopy woods. I just went tonight to Gander Mountain and looked through a pair of Steiner 10 X 26 and can tell you I was fairly disapointed.  Seemed like very dim images in a fairly well lit store.  Nothing I would want under a heavy canopy.  I am wondering if the Zeiss, Swarovski, or Leica's 10 X 25 would be any better.

Bill 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 19:54
I too am looking for a pair of pocket binoculars for taking hiking under heavy canopy woods. I just went tonight to Gander Mountain and looked through a pair of Steiner 10 X 26 and can tell you I was fairly disapointed.  Seemed like very dim images in a fairly well lit store.  Nothing I would want under a heavy canopy.  I am wondering if the Zeiss, Swarovski, or Leica's 10 X 25 would be any better.

Bill 
Exit pupil is the key here.
A 2.6mm exit pupil is not desirable for a heavy wooded area where there is alot of shade.
Also, you would be better off with a much lower magnification for the widest possible FOV since you will be viewing in tight quarters.

6x30 or 6x32 comes to mind, I would forget the "pocket binoculars" and instead settle for a lightweight binocular that you can comfortably hang around your neck. 

Hitthespot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitthespot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 20:13
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Bill 
Exit pupil is the key here.
A 2.6mm exit pupil is not desirable for a heavy wooded area where there is alot of shade.
Also, you would be better off with a much lower magnification for the widest possible FOV since you will be viewing in tight quarters.

6x30 or 6x32 comes to mind, I would forget the "pocket binoculars" and instead settle for a lightweight binocular that you can comfortably hang around your neck. 

I agree exit pupil is the key but I really have my heart set on something pocketable.  I was hiking yesterday and took my 8 X 30 Swarovski.  On a 1.5 hour hike I only looked through them twice for around 10 seconds each.   So I don't see the need for anything that size around my neck for the whole hike just to use for a few seconds.  On a dedicated viewing hike or excursion I can see taking the Swaro's, but not for incidental use.  Hence the pocket size. 

What about the Viper 8 x 28's?  They look pretty nice and should have a large enough exit pupil ?  XD glass, fully multicoated.   Anyone have any experiance with these.

Thanks Bird Watcher

Bill
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 20:53
A thought here about pocket size binoculars is that unless you are dealing with the very best, ie. Swaro. Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, in the small 8x20 or 10x25 size you are going to find the others
will not offer a view that you may find to your liking.
The reason is simple is that it is very difficult to make these without the finest glass, coatings
and optics design.

Close to pocket size are the reverse porros, such as the Nikon Travellite, 8x25, and its view
can exceed some of the true pockets listed above.  I find the true pockets kind of nice to have
and play with, but you need a larger objective to enjoy the view. 

See if you can get to a larger store to sample the goods.  And then come back here to SWFA
to oder.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 21:01
Back again.

I see that on the Sample list, SWFA lists both a Leica 8x20, and a 10x25 Trinovid, within your
budget.  I had a 8x20 Trinovid for a time, and I thought it was very good. 

I hope someone else here can add to this.  I have not tried a 10x25, but am thinking they
are dimmer, and may be harder to hold without shake. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 22:03
Originally posted by Hitthespot Hitthespot wrote:

Thanks Bird Watcher

Bill
 Look for my PM Bandito
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic