OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steel or Aluminum Ring and Bases?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steel or Aluminum Ring and Bases?
    Posted: July/27/2010 at 18:25
Here is another question that comes to mind when in the market for a new set of rings and or bases. I never gave it much thought until I was talking to a tech at a top scope manufacture and he made the statement that he would stay away from anything made out of aluminum.

What is the over all consciences here one too the other and why.   
Enough is to much.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 18:39
You probably want to buy a different brand of scope.   The tech was clueless.  Aluminum rings and bases can be stronger than and provide more support to the scope steel.  It's all in the design and material selection.
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 18:55
I have had an aluminum base break in half which mounted on a T/C Encore 460 S&W Magnum.The base & mounts were suppose to be stronger and lighter than steel.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:22
What's the base/mounts going on ?
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:43
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

What's the base/mounts going on ?

I'm not really asking for a particular rifle just was wondering what the over all crowd here felt about one material to the other. I would guess that everyone here has the same ambition and that is to spend as little as possible and get the best available.    
Enough is to much.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:55
Originally posted by REP REP wrote:

Here is another question that comes to mind when in the market for a new set of rings and or bases. I never gave it much thought until I was talking to a tech at a top scope manufacture and he made the statement that he would stay away from anything made out of aluminum.

What is the over all consciences here one too the other and why.   
Moved to proper heading... Rings and bases...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 21:11
Some aluminum hold up fine some steel break. Its more about quality than material sometimes.  IMO
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 21:44
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Some aluminum hold up fine some steel break. Its more about quality than material sometimes.  IMO

This is what I have been hearing as well. Is there any manufactures that come to your mind that have a REP of producing reliable products??
Enough is to much.
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 22:01
I used some aluminum see thru mounts (I know don't bash I wanted to try them) on a muzzle loader from I think it was Traditions firearms and they seemed like they were pretty good quality. I never had a problem at all from them.

I've also used a few other sets of aluminum ones also and never had an issue either, but most you could tell were not up to par with the quality of the Traditions ones. I think the Weavers are pretty decent for the price.

That being said I've also used steel rings and never seen a huge difference.

One set I did break was by tightening them way too tight. Those were aluminum Weavers and it broke where I was screwing the screw in. That's the only set I've ever had break. To be honest, 90% of the time now I just go with a set of quality aluminum rings and so far I've not had any issues. However, if I was building a rifle that I had to depend on with my life, I'd probably use a set of quality steel rings and bases.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 22:13
you get what you pay for ...Avoid cheaper rings and stay with well known brand names and regardless af material ( and with proper installation ) , either should serve you well .. However , for calibers around a 338 mag and up , I'd go with a steel mount for an extra level of assurance
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 22:32
I've used Talley lightweight Aluminum rings/bases on a tikka t3 lite in 30-06. By all accounts they were superb right up until I sold the rifle last year, although that is a sample of one. I have several friends using the same set up as well and have yet to hear a complaint. I am buying two new sets for a couple Savages I recently picked up. I'll let you know I have any problems. Other than the lightweight Talleys I generally run Warne Maxima or Ruger factory rings.

Regards,

Josh
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 22:56
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

I've used Talley lightweight Aluminum rings/bases on a tikka t3 lite in 30-06. By all accounts they were superb right up until I sold the rifle last year, although that is a sample of one. I have several friends using the same set up as well and have yet to hear a complaint. I am buying two new sets for a couple Savages I recently picked up. I'll let you know I have any problems. Other than the lightweight Talleys I generally run Warne Maxima or Ruger factory rings.

Regards,

Josh

Theirs a lot to be said about the the Warne people; just today I talked to Jerry in their tech dept. about a set of their rings that failed on an Encore due to improper torquing and breaking of screws in the rings. These guys are JAM UP he is sending me replacements even though the rings were installed improperly. WOW talk about going to buy from; from now on! Any time I have ever had a problem with anything from these guy they have gone way over board to fix everything even when it is not even close to their fault. I love this company. They have not let the stock owners control the bottom line yet. Go America; I would recommend these guys to anyone not only a great product but also backed up by outstanding customer support what more can I say!!   
Enough is to much.
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 00:15
I have never had cause to deal with customer service other than a couple calls on height recommendations. Very knowledgeable and friendly. I couldnt agree with you more REP, highly recommended in my book.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:14
I have a set of alluminum Talleys, Burris, and SS rings.  All have held zero and no problems since.  As a general rule of thumb for me, not a rule just an opinon, I don't buy rings unless they are quality, by quality MOSt of the time you can tell by price and reputation.  Nothing wrong with mixing steel and aluminum when it comes to bases and rings as long as you aren't in extreme tempetures where the metals will react different.  Again IMO!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 08:20
Not saying they are the best-- but Weaver tip offs have been around for what 50 years. Steel on top and aluminum on the bottom, inexpensive. and only 2 screws -- can you imagine!!  The entire issue is over rated.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 23:49
Steel for me. I like Warne bases and rings.
If I were putting together a dedicated lightweight rifle I would have to consider the aluminum Talleys, however.
cornhuskid View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 09:12
I prefer steel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic