OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need scope for .30-06 Browning BAR Safari w/boss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need scope for .30-06 Browning BAR Safari w/boss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need scope for .30-06 Browning BAR Safari w/boss
    Posted: July/27/2010 at 17:10
I am needing a scope for my new .30-06 Browning BAR Safari w/boss.  This gun will be used for hunting whitetail deer and hogs in Arkansas.  There will be times that the woods will be really thick and times that 300-400 yard shots are possible but 98% of the shots will be from 50-150 yards.  I am a die hard fan of Leupold scopes and would prefer to stay with them but would consider other scopes as well.  Given these situations I think that the two models that really stand out are the 
VX-3 2.5-8x36 and the VX-3 3.5-10x40.

What other scopes would you suggest or which of these two would you go with and why?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 17:15
Those would be good choices IMO, other would be Bushnell 4200 3-9x, Vortex Viper 3-9x, Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x or the Zeiss Conquest in 3-9x. 

Leupolds are a little over priced when you put them next to the comparable scopes from other brands.  Bushnell and Sightron both have a lens coating that helps shed water and fog better which is a big plus in my book.  Vortex has as good as if not better CS that Leupold, they are fantastic in that regard.  But if Leupold is what you like nothing wrong with sticking with them the VX3 is a decent scope.

My personal preference would be Zeiss, because it has the best glass out of the 5.  Bushnell or Sightron would be a toss up for 2 and 3.  The Vortex, then Leupold.  Leupold would be last because you are not gaining anything for the extra money you have to spend for it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 17:16
i would go with neither since leupold is overpriced for the quality you get, look at a 3x9 zeiss conquest or a 3x9 4200 elite bushnell or a 3x9 vortex viper.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 17:53
I'd go 3-9x40 Conquest, 3-9x40 4200,VX3 4.5-14X40, or  FX3 6X42 (I'd really like to have one). The 300-400 yrd shots would be long for the 6x42 "to me" but the 50-150 would be ideal !!
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 18:12
Originally posted by cbm cbm wrote:

I'd go 3-9x40 Conquest, 3-9x40 4200,VX3 4.5-14X40, or  FX3 6X42 (I'd really like to have one). The 300-400 yrd shots would be long for the 6x42 "to me" but the 50-150 would be ideal !!

I thought about the FX3 too but decided that I definately want a variable power because some of the places I hunt will be thick, thick bush and for that I want a very low bottom power, I'd say any more than 4x would be bad and really 1.5-3x would be best for the low end.  As for the high end anything 6x or higher would be sufficient.  Sure it would be nice to have more but this is going on a hunting gun, not a target gun.  I don't need to see the hairs on a deer to make a kill.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 18:31
 Maybe consider this one.  I bought one recently to use in basically the same type of terrain and at the same distances you describe.  I(and others who have looked through my scope) find it very quick to get on target with this reticle. 

Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02G4
  • Matte
  • Versa-Plex C3
  • 1"
Specifications
Weight (oz): 13

Versa-Plex C3

Length (in): 11.3
Eye Relief (in): 4 - 3.7
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 46.7 - 13.4
Exit Pupil (mm): --
MOA: 1/4
Lens Coating: XR Coating
Warranty: Unlimited Transferable Warranty

Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope

$259.95

Related Products

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 19:28
I might consider that one as well.  I like the reticle on it.  It looks like it would basically be a fine duplex but with a circle to help you hone in quicker.  I haven't ever looked through a Vortek scope.  Are they crisp and clear all the way to the edges like the VX-3 scopes and do they have a nice bright image in low light conditions?  Many of the VX-II scopes I have looked through were fuzzy on the edges and noticeably darker in lower light conditions.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 19:34
i think you will find the viper a very nice scope, i have that 2x7 on my .375H&H and i really like it alot.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:06

Polk your last name or the county in Arkansas you live in?

Asking because I grew up outside Mena. 

Vortex makes good scopes. You're paying for the glass not the name. I have 2 crossfires, and 2 diamondbacks and have heard the Viper line is even nicer. The Leo's on your list are good scopes, but for the money, not the best bang for your buck.

The Zeiss is a fine scope as well.

The Vortex Diamondback in 3-9 x 40 has a wider field of view than about any other 3-9 which helps a lot in the woods where sometimes you see movement at the edge of where you are looking. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:14
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Polk your last name or the county in Arkansas you live in?

It's my last name.  Right now I am in Faulkner county but will probably be moving soon.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:22
I agree with the other posters on the alternative suggestions.  Zeiss Conquest, Vortex Viper, Sightron SII Big Sky, and bushnell 4200 are all good comparison scopes for the VX-3.  The Conquest is the best value in riflescopes right now, but IMO the optical performance advantage does tend to get overstated at times.  I love my Conquest, but wouldn't say it is "head and shoulders" above the VX-3.  Again, IMO. 

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but the VX-3 is also a great looking scope, and would complement a Safari BAR quite nicely.  The 2.5-8 is my favorite in the lineup.

I'm not currently considering any Bushnell's, personally, due to their apparent slide in Customer Service.  It means a lot to me.  Vortex is the king of CS right now, and Leupy isn't far behind.

If you are a "big" fan of Leupold, I see no reason not to spring for the VX-3.

Sounds like a great setup.  I used my Grandpa's old 30-06 BAR for years and loved that soft-shooting action.

Thunbs Up
-Matt
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:37
That is part of the reason I don't have Bushnell's any more.  Customer service means a lot to me.  I hadn't heard of Vortek before now but I'll have to look into them.  Whatever I go with I want it to be a lower powered variable power scope and don't really need a 50mm lens if the glass is good enough.  Larger glass is nice when you get to higher powered optics or lower end stuff but it isn't really necessary on a quality piece of glass when the power is lower.  Some folks around here try to hunt with HUGE scopes and super high powers (10-15x) but that just doesn't work for me.  I like lower power for hunting usually and then turn it up to a reasonably higher power for really long shots, for at the range, and for an occasional long distance shot where the animal is still.

I want to make sure I get the right scope the first go around though for the BAR. 
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:42
Oh, I forgot to add I got about 400-500 to spend.  Sure, I'd like to spend less but buy quality once and you only cry once.  Buy a "bargain" and you'll cry every time that scope just isn't working like it should.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 21:32
i would strongly consider the three scopes that bitterootbulls mentioned, zeiss, vortex and sightron. all three will be great. vortex and sightron both offer great warranty's
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:45
Another good choice IMO would be the Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42.  But you couldn't go wrong with the other suggestions.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
TexasPhotog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasPhotog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 08:23
I like the Leupold VX3 3.5-10 or the Zeiss Conquest for your application.  Optically they're close.  Yeah, the Leupold is a bit more, but you get GREAT customer service for as long as you own it.  I inherited a 30+ year old Leupold 3-9 recently and sent it in to be refurbished.  They returned it looking like new 10 days later - no charge.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 11:10
+1 for the Zeiss Conquest.  

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 15:11
I would probably go for the Leupold since one you like them and second they are the only ones avaliable in gloss which will match your BAR finish better. Like mentioned above while the conquest is a good alternative the two are pretty comparable and the zeiss is larger looking and I don't care for the eauropean style eye pieces.As to which one the two leupolds you mentioned are both fine. Which do you like? Just my $.02
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 15:12
You know in another post someone pointed out the Vortex Viper 2-7 is maked down to $179. These have been getting some pretty good press around here so I might consider one of those if the matte finish doesn't put you off. You might also consider the ring spacing on your rifle as some of the new scopes are a bit short in mounting space. I would however think the BAR having a solid top would be pretty flexible in this regard.
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 16:02
Ring spacing won't be an issue.  You can get one piece slotted bases for a BAR so you could fit anything from a red dot with rings on both ends to a huge bench-rest scope.  Personally I just want a smaller scope since they seem to work best for me for hunting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic