OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris 4-16X50 or Leupold VX III 4.5-14x5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris 4-16X50 or Leupold VX III 4.5-14x5
    Posted: October/24/2005 at 23:31

I am having a really hard time deciding between these two and was wondering if any of you could or would offer some insight???

Incidentally I am considering Black Diamond and the Leupold is the Long Range, both are 30mm tubes.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2005 at 00:52
Personally, I'd go for Black Diamond, but in all fairness, the difference between them is small and it makes sense to get whichever one you can get a better deal on.

I think Black Diamond has marginally better glass and is built like a tank.  Slightly higher magnification range is a good thing also (a marginal difference yet again).

Ilya
Superlite17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2005 at 19:41
Thank you, and you are right the magnification is nice. However I have read here actually that some manufacturer's magnification statements are not neccessarily "true" but I do not understand how though. I believe the post was about a Bushnell.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2005 at 19:46

Yeah, the magnification numbers are usually not exact, but, basically, Burris has a 4x erector and Leupold has a 3x erector, meaning that whatever the actual magnifications are the ratio of high magnification to low magnification will be ~4 for Black Diamond and ~3 for VX-III.

Ilya

Superlite17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2005 at 20:18
koshkin thanks, I have read many of your posts and would love to get your opinion as to which scope you woul buy in that range. I just got the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50mm 42-2151 30mm and hate it! when I turn on the dot at dusk I cannot see anything... even on the lowest setting. Plus, to MY EYES it is not very clear, with not so much contrast. Had it a month... and it is on ebay! So I am open to suggestions...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2005 at 20:24

I am surprised to hear about your problems with elite 4200.  These are quality scopes and you must have gotten a rare lemon.

I am partial to Burris Signature and Diamond and Sightron S2/S3 scopes, personally, but most midpack scopes are comparable.  A lot depends on what is important to you.

Ilya

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2005 at 13:08

I like the balistic plex feature of the burris but I also like the range estimating feature of the leupold.  I have the leupold and love it. This is my favorite scope and I have several that are hundreds of dollars more. (Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25,  & Mark 4 10X M3 , and several Burris scopes.)

Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope

Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope

Send this page to a friend

Wide Duplex® Range Estimating (RE) Feature

The Wide Duplex® Range Estimating (RE) reticle was designed to provide a more open center with the pickets farther apart to allow more unobstructed target viewing area. This reticle is particularly good for quick shots on moving targets. Since this open space is not the right size for range estimating, a new feature is incorporated in VX-III models to provide a range estimating function. A ranging bracket is located on the lower Duplex picket where a thinned down section provides a notch. To estimate range using the Leupold Wide Duplex RE reticle, place an animal or object of approximately 16" in height in the ranging bracket and turn the power selector until it just fits into this space. After the target is bracketed in this notch, read the numbers on the rear of the power selector ring to get an estimate of the range. “3” corresponds with 300 yards, “5” with 500 yards, etc.

Specifications
Weight (oz): 17

Wide Duplex RE Reticle
Wide Duplex Range Estimating

Length (in): 12.6
Eye Relief (in): 4.4 - 3.6
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 19.1 - 7.4
MOA: 1/4
Finish: Matte
Ring Spacing
Max Mount Ring Spacing (in): 5.5  
Front Ring Space (in): 1.7
Rear Ring Space (in): 2.5

< style="MARGIN: 0px" =/addtocart.asp method=get>
Order Here
Stock # Price Quantity  
LEU57850 $679.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic