OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What about the Duel Dove Tail Mounts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 22:08
Originally posted by Harriershot Harriershot wrote:

I personnally believe in DD mounts with the Burris signature rings. I don't like the system of windage screws and the inherrent weaknesses associated with them.
As far as the windage alignment issue I have solved this with the following process.

First I mount the rifle in a work vice making sure to level the action by the bolt guides in the receiver, this is the only true way to properly level the action. I then look through the bore of the rifle and line it up on a plumb line hanging 12 yards away inside of my house.
I have designed my own tool that a machinist made for me. Imagine a one inch dimeter bar about seven inches long (like a scope tube) this bar also has a longitudinal .25 cal hole going all the way through it, this hole is machined perfectly concentric with the OD of the bar. This bar also has vertical slots cut out of it to allow me to tighten and loosen the base bolts while I am effecting the alignment process.
So with my Burris signature rings and bases attached to this bar with the ring bolts somewhat loose and the outside of the "O" inserts lubed to allow them to gimbal inside the rings, I bolt the bases to the receiver, the vertical slots in this tool bar allow me to tighten and loosen the torqx screws in the bases while the bar is in the rings.
While looking through the longitudinal bore hole of this tool bar I attempt to line it up so that the plumb line I have hanging in the distance is dropping through the center of the bore hole of this tool bar just like I have it dropping through the center of the rifle bore. What allows me to make this happen is the inherrant play that is around the torqx screws as they pass through holes in the basses.
After I have wiggled things around to get my tool bore hole aligned so that the plumb line drops through the center  of the tool bore just like it does with the rifle bore I tighten the ring bolts up, this way  the tool will not move around in the rings. I then remove the the tool with the rings and basses still attached. I next cut some grroves in the undersides of the basses to create "footer" grooves so that the Devcon 10110 has a place to grab hold of instead of a paper thin layer between the basses and the reciever like everyone else does.
I then lay a piece of sand paper on top of the reciever grit side up and lap the underside of the basses back and forth to scuff and clean off any burrs created by cutting the footer grooves in the undersides of the basses.
I then treat the reciever with two coats of Kiwi neutral shoe polish.
I apply some Devcon to the under sides of the basses and bolt the entire assembly back in place while observing the plumb line to be hanging through the center of the tool bar while it is still attached to rings, just like it is hanging through the center of the rifle bore. 
Once the Devcon has cured I now can take the tool bar out of the rings and mount my scope.
This tool I have designed with  with the above stated process has resulted in some amazing windage alignment results at the 100 yard rifle range. I will try to get a picture up of this tool on this forum if anyone wants to see it. I hope my above explanation is inderstandable.  Thanks for reading this rather long post.

Charlie

WOW that is devotion!! I would be interested in seeing the whole rig and process.
Thanks for going to the trouble of such an in depth post. The plum bob line is a neat approach.
Enough is to much.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 22:22
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

About 2/3 of my mounts are DD like the 300 WBY pictured. I do use alighnment rods and hand lap the rings to ensure complete contact . They have been extremely tough, and I like the look better than Weaver and one piece mounts ( although they have their place and I have a few of each) . To each his own ...

Nice rig; I have enjoyed your in put on this matter. I looked today for the rings and basses but did not find the signature rings in the DD configuration; but too I checked only at SWFA and not the Burris sight. If anyone happened to have part numbers I think med height rings would work I found the bases. The rig is a mod.16 weather worrier short action in 308 win. I will be mounting a 2002 mod. Veri-X III on it while I save for my Zeiss or Z6.
Enough is to much.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 10:00
http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-Rings-C633.aspx

Its a sub menu

The gun on the left is a Model 70 and on the right a Kimber Montana, both Long Actions. I used the Leupold bases on both in part because Burris doesn't make them for the Kimber (or didn't then) and I like the looks of them a little better. Those are Burris Signature 30MM D/D rings, No laping required but I do try to allign them as close as possible first.

Edited by biggreen747 - July/29/2010 at 10:06
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 13:51
Originally posted by biggreen747 biggreen747 wrote:

http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-Rings-C633.aspx

Its a sub menu

The gun on the left is a Model 70 and on the right a Kimber Montana, both Long Actions. I used the Leupold bases on both in part because Burris doesn't make them for the Kimber (or didn't then) and I like the looks of them a little better. Those are Burris Signature 30MM D/D rings, No laping required but I do try to allign them as close as possible first.

Nice rigs I have had my eye on just that Kimber for sometime I wont it in a 7mm-08 as a nice do all field rifle. I called and talked to a nice lady at SWFA today about the Burris DD rings and basses in the signature series. They had just what I needed but I haven't  made up my mind between these or the DNZ offerings yet.
Enough is to much.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 14:20
I have looked at the DNZ and they look like a nice setup, I just dont like rails in the way, personal preferance I guess. I see they do make them for my muzzleloader so I may have to give them a try on it.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 17:22
Originally posted by biggreen747 biggreen747 wrote:

I have looked at the DNZ and they look like a nice setup, I just dont like rails in the way, personal preferance I guess. I see they do make them for my muzzleloader so I may have to give them a try on it.

I'm the same way about obstruction of function. But from the looks of the DNC line I think this would not be an issue; they are relived the base to allow for unobstructed bolt access. 
Enough is to much.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 11:47
I have a set of dual dovetail Leupold mounts. I think they look great because they are so trim and streamlined.
They also are a PITA if you like to swap scopes occasionally.
I use Talley steel mounts on most of my hunting rifles. They also look good to me. They are also very strong and because of the precision machining, re-zero quite well.

Doug
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 12:20
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I have a set of dual dovetail Leupold mounts. I think they look great because they are so trim and streamlined.
They also are a PITA if you like to swap scopes occasionally.
I use Talley steel mounts on most of my hunting rifles. They also look good to me. They are also very strong and because of the precision machining, re-zero quite well.

I have never used Talley ring but have heard a lot of positive things here about their quality. I have how ever used Warne quite a bit and from what I can see in photos they would be hard to tell apart. Thanks for the post and NICE LOOKING RIG!
Enough is to much.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 12:30
I also have Warne's, a very good mount. They are sintered and then finish machined. They use an insert on the bottom of the rings for a recoil lug to engage the base. They are strong. 
The Talley's are machined from solid barstock, 4150 I believe, and the finish machining is better than Warne. The whole bottom of the ring is used as a recoil lug to engage the precisely fit and numbered bases. They are stronger. This is also reflected in the cost.
Here are one set of Warne's I have.

Doug
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 15:16
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I also have Warne's, a very good mount. They are sintered and then finish machined. They use an insert on the bottom of the rings for a recoil lug to engage the base. They are strong. 
The Talley's are machined from solid barstock, 4150 I believe, and the finish machining is better than Warne. The whole bottom of the ring is used as a recoil lug to engage the precisely fit and numbered bases. They are stronger. This is also reflected in the cost.
Here are one set of Warne's I have.

Nice; what is your #1 in? Jerry at Warne just sent me a set of their tactical rings to try out. I was thinking of actually putting them of that 308 I've been working on but I'm not sure if I want that much weight added to an already heavy rig. They are massive in size and weight but would be a really nice addition to a in service field beater.
Enough is to much.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 10:18
45-70
I think ILya Koshkin has said some very positive things about the Warne tactical rings.
Good luck.......
Doug
TheDuke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 14:15

The Leupold Dual Dove are excellent and use to be my preferred until I went to the Talley integals which I really like.

cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 01:46
I've used the DD Burris Signature rings with great success and have had no ring marks so far.  The non-concentric ring kit even helped out with some off center base screw holes on a Model 70 an allowed me to zero my rifle without using up all my windage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic