OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DIY CAMO DIPPING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowcircle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY CAMO DIPPING
    Posted: July/26/2010 at 13:59
Thought some of you camo lovers and DIY gunsmiths might be interested in this - www.camodipkit.com - it is a camo dipping kit that you can do at home on your gun parts and other items.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 13:38
Interesting...
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 14:49
Not my cup of tea but I'm sure some folks will jump on it. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 15:06
I'm thinking about it just to see how well it works. Do you Think I can talk them into sending me enough to do one rifle stock for free. It would give them more of a selling point on this site witch would be good since it is the best site on the net.

PM if you can send me some free film to do a write up on.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 15:09

I'd be interested in how durable it is.  doesn't seem like it would be.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 15:17
I'll test it. I'm heck on everything I touch.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 11:19
OK, that's cool!  I was looking into having a guy do that for me, here in Texas, and it was going to be about 1100.00 to do an AR rifle.  Needless to say I didn't have it done.  This looks doable...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 11:26
I have seen it done before too.  Can't remember the company, but they showed a lunchbox that they did a year before and the camo was in pretty decent shape yet.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 12:52
If it's anything like the "Hydrograph" that comes on equipment like bows, and stocks these days, it will be a lot tougher than anything painted. The real subject here, is preparation of the material to be dipped. Do that right, I'm sure the results will be good.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 15:04
How expensive to do a rifle stock?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 12:23
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

How expensive to do a rifle stock?

Looks like the kit is about $100.00 and you get a square meter of film, which should be plenty to do a rifle stock...  I think I'm gonna give it a try...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 17:44
OK... I looked at the patterns. Generally, you can't get any pattern that's copyrighted. Nothing by Mossy Oak, no Prairie Ghost, no Multicam. Nothing of interest here.
midwestoffroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 20:18
looks like the film is 2x8 feet so should just about be enought to do a complete AR and Scope. .

like mentions it will be as durable as the primer and the prepared metal it is sprayed on. . it is pretty much the same process as the bigger shops except they are using the activator and prep and primer in bulk.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 20:54
I've had a few  stocks camo'd by Bell and Carlson a few years back ..They still look new and the work was just about perfect-- looks factory . Cost about 75 bucks plus shipping . Most places will do a whole gun for about the $350 neighborhood.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 17:06

Just for comparison i was looking at www.camo-solutions.com

they have some pricing for those that considered sending you firearm off.

for me a complete AR would run 325 but i wouldnt do the barrel

handguard 60
barrel 85
stock (a2) 70
colapsable (90)
2 peice receiver 125
scope 70 mounts 30

yellowcircle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowcircle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 13:43
I think a kit will do 2-3 guns
yellowcircle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowcircle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 14:59
has anyone tried this yet? feedback?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 08:31
$99 bucks seems a bit steep to me!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 08:40
Not really when you look at what it will cost to have it done. Around 300.00 dollars for a gun that you will still have to disassemble yourself. Add that you can do at least 2 guns with this kit, and the math says good deal. I will be offering this as a service when I work on a gun.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 10:59
thats what i figured also. 99 bucks really is a good price.  like i posed in a previous post so strip the gun down and ship off all the parts and hope to get them back and have a days-weeks down time or try it youself, and have fun making a mess. I  may try it . i am working on getting some film from another company  to use with it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic