OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

On the Leatherwood Hi-Lux Camputer ART M-1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the Leatherwood Hi-Lux Camputer ART M-1000
    Posted: July/26/2010 at 06:56

Good morning!

Do any of you have presonal experience in this rifle scope? If so your input will be appreciated.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 15:29
I do have one.  I also have the original Sporter ART.. number 049, the 50th made.  The Sporter is being retired, though it is still useable.  It will go in my study in memory of and out of respect for Jim Leatherwood.
The M1000 mounting and usage instructions can be found on youtube.  The scope is calibrated for caliber and ammunition, zeroed at 200 yards, then merely "frame" a target of known approximate size (chest cavity of a deer is approximately 18in, frame with the 18in hash marks), pick the POA/POI and fire.  I have only used the M1000 out to 500 yards.  The Sporter I used to 1000... which required a little more work.  It was only designed for 800, and in reality, so is the M1000.  If you want to shoot longer ranges, the M1200 will work very well.  I have a friend who has one on a .243WSSM and a couple years ago he shot a beaver at over 700 yards with it.  He has fired less than two boxes of shells through the rifle... 
SWFA sells the Leatherwood products at fantastic prices...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 18:30
Kickboxer,

Thank you for the info, and I did a search at SWFA but it didn't register the search, can someone provide the link please?

How is the quality of the scope/glass? I normaly shoot at 200 yards or less so the M1000 will do just fine.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 18:51
For 200yards or less, why would need the Camputer functionality?

For the record, I reviewed the Leatherwood 2.5-10x44 Professional scope, which, I think, is the one in the Camputer mount that makes the M1000.

ILya
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 19:26
Thank you gentlemen, excellent info!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:31
Actually, the scope for the ART M1000 is not the same as the Professional.  It is constructed specifically for the ART series...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 00:23
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Actually, the scope for the ART M1000 is not the same as the Professional.  It is constructed specifically for the ART series...

It looked the same to me last I checked.  I also just glanced at the listed specs from Leatherwood and they look identical as well.  I doubt that they have two distinctly different scopes with identical specs and configuration and that look identical upon inspection.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 09:11
I asked Corbett Leatherwood... he said they are different...

Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 19:48
I was under the impression that the new leatherwood stuff was all junk. I know that they are made in china, and that could be all the reason for the hate from the guys at the ranges.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 20:07
There have been quality issues with the Leatherwood scopes due to the factory being in China.  They were made in the same factory as a number of other "American" scopes, but due to company size and volume, were given a much lower production/quality priority.  In an effort to solve the quality problems, Leatherwood purchased its own factory about two years ago and mounted an intense effort to overcome quality issues.  The production of designs created by Jim Leatherwood is now overseen directly by his son, Corbett.   As with cars, dishwashers, ovens, etc., creation of a trained and competent workforce takes time and effort.  I had to replace my M1000 once due to a quality issue, but the process was painless and worthwhile.  The one I have now is an excellent scope and is most likely going to get a really good workout on my custom .338 Lapua Magnum tactical rifle when I get back home...

gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 07:22

Kickboxer, thank you for your input. My only experience with Leatherwood products is the CMR14X24 and I like it a lot on my AR15 that's why I was looking into maybe purchasing another Leatherwood product. My other scopes are not high $ products, a couple of Bushnells and a Nikon being my best until the CMR, but this board has educated me quite a lot so I am looking to eventually buy better, and even though I can afford it I don't see me spending north of $1K for a scope, not for the use it'll see in my hands.

Someone asked why choose this scope if I don't shoot beyond 200yards, well I'm an engineer so I very much appreciate innovative thinking and the Leatherwood ART M-1000 is exactly that. But for the experts among us, how do the optics compare to similarly priced items and would you recommend something different in a 3x9 or there about? 

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 14:28
Originally posted by gcp gcp wrote:

Kickboxer, thank you for your input. My only experience with Leatherwood products is the CMR14X24 and I like it a lot on my AR15 that's why I was looking into maybe purchasing another Leatherwood product. My other scopes are not high $ products, a couple of Bushnells and a Nikon being my best until the CMR, but this board has educated me quite a lot so I am looking to eventually buy better, and even though I can afford it I don't see me spending north of $1K for a scope, not for the use it'll see in my hands.

Someone asked why choose this scope if I don't shoot beyond 200yards, well I'm an engineer so I very much appreciate innovative thinking and the Leatherwood ART M-1000 is exactly that. But for the experts among us, how do the optics compare to similarly priced items and would you recommend something different in a 3x9 or there about? 

I've used the M1000 and it's predecessor the ART Sporter quite a bit.  The M1000 has considerably better glass and it is at least the equivalent of the Pentax Gameseeker series glass.  I believe it is better.  Innovative they are, but really and truly, if 200-300 yards is your 95% max range, it is probably not the best scope for you.  Didn't say it won't work for that, it most certainly will, but the utility of the scope is wasted on that.  For the primary range you suggest, I would go with a Vortex Viper or Bushnell Elite 2-7, or if you want a 3-9, perhaps the Meopta Meopro... nice scope.  Really and truly, a Zeiss Conquest 4x fixed would be a very good choice and a very reasonable buy from SWFA.  You have a lot of choices and if you want an M1000, I'm not really trying to talk you out of it, just saying, as ILya did, you don't really have a requiremet for the most significant aspects of the scope. 

gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 19:34
Meopta Meopro? I've never heard of it but it looks like a well built scope, how would it compare to the Zeiss Conquest?

I'd like at least a 3x9, because there are times that I shoot beyond 400 yards, not often but it happens, so from the above suggested rifles can someone you rank them please? Or anything else that may beat the above?

Great forum, glad to be a part of it!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 20:27
gcp, it's good to have you here.  OT welcomes you.
The Meospro is very close, in my eyes, to the Conquest glass-wise.  It doesn't get a lot of press, but it is optically pretty darned good.  I cannot speak to durability, because my experience with the Meopta's is via a friend I sometimes encounter at the range.  He LOVES them and has several.  He bought an R1 and ended up putting Meopta's on all his rifles.  He has the 3-9 Meopro.  I guess he has had it for a couple years now and never had any complaints.  It is on a .270 (no accounting for taste in calibers) and no problems.  I think I remember that our own Koshkin did a review of the Meopro, a Conquest, and a Minox a while back and liked the Meopro pretty well.  As I recall, the story was still out on how well it would hold up...  I think it is a good scope, compares well with anything I've seen in the price range... it was just a suggestion to look at, I like to see good products get out in the market. 

gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 21:47
What a great article by ILya, thank you for pointing it out! I've got a lot of learning to do....
stonefly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 19:57
   kickboxer, the..... ahem "quality issues" have not been resolved. just this morning competitor kindly agreed to refund my money on a 2-7 long eye relief scope. however painless it might have been to return i won't go into the deer woods with anything made by the manufacturer of what was shipped to me. when you turned the power adjustment ring the reticle ROTATED!!!!      with elevation turned all the way up i printed 2" low at 25 YARDS!!!!    it was pretty clear the windage knob was not captive as it was trying to roll out of the body of the scope. i was warned about "cheap chinese scopes" but thought how bad could it be? my impression is that it is enough like a scope to not fit the criteria of fraud, no better.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 02:56
Originally posted by stonefly stonefly wrote:

kickboxer, the..... ahem "quality issues" have not been resolved. just this morning competitor kindly agreed to refund my money on a 2-7 long eye relief scope. however painless it might have been to return i won't go into the deer woods with anything made by the manufacturer of what was shipped to me. when you turned the power adjustment ring the reticle ROTATED!!!!      with elevation turned all the way up i printed 2" low at 25 YARDS!!!!    it was pretty clear the windage knob was not captive as it was trying to roll out of the body of the scope. i was warned about "cheap chinese scopes" but thought how bad could it be? my impression is that it is enough like a scope to not fit the criteria of fraud, no better.
Sorry for your experience, it's never good when a bad product rolls out... your experience has not been mine.  The ART's are in a different line than the 2-7 scope you are talking about, and I am really unfamiliar with it.  I've not owned any but the Sporter and the M1000.  I did send one M1000 back, but it had been subjected to mail damage... I did not ever mount it on a rifle... found a problem in the area where the boxes were crushed and just sent it back. 
Is there a reason you did not directly ID the maker's name and scope model?  Generally such a flaming commentary would include all the pertinent information.  Please PM me with the "competitor" name and I will make some inquiries.  I'll help you track down what caused such a blatant display of poor QA, because I am interested myself.  More information is required than what you posted, however.  Did you take any pictures of the problems you IDed with the turrets and a reticle picture would be a real plus.  Surely the "competitor" you sent it back to would have all the pertinent information and be returning it to the maker.  Normal procedures...
I am currently reviewing a, CMR14x24 and it has had no problems so far.  If it does, I will certainly let you know. 

Edited by Kickboxer - July/31/2010 at 03:09

dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 14:02
Wow... It's sad to hear that this great maker has fallen on such hard times. I can remember it being the state of the art in the 1970's.

For those of you with less silver in their hair, you need to appreciate the breakthrough that Leatherwood made. We were still 20 years away from the IBM Personal Computer and all of your calculations were done on slide rules. There were some simple pocket calculators out there, but my TI-51 scientific calculator didn't show up until about 1974. Duplex reticles ruled the range.

Leatherwood design a scope mount that included a mechanical cam to compensate for trajectory. No math required. No printed sheets of "come up" tables. No batteries required in an environment where electronics died within 24 hours. (Avionics had to be kept running and hot to avoid condensation and shorting out.)

The Leatherwood scope is like a '65 Mustang. I remember wishing that I could own one.
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 21:10
My tactical Leathrewood scope is A1+!!

Every manufacturer produces a lemon now and then, I guess, but as long as they do right by their customers it's fine by me. Is there such thing as perfection?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 03:37
A reply from Corbett Leatherwood:

"I spoke with Toby Bridges (www.hpmuzzleloading.com/), who 
has used this scope extensively and this was his response:

"Share that I have several Hi-Lux scopes that now have in excess of 
5,000 rounds under each of them...and they're as precise and solid as 
any high dollar scope I've ever used, including Zeiss and Leupold.  
Give him my e-mail address if he wants to debate the issue." - Toby 
Bridges' email is: namlhunt@hpmuzzleloading.com

In addition, please visit some of the retailers to see reviews 
posted by a few customers to the Leatherwood/Hi-Lux 2-7 LER optic.  
(I removed the URL's of other websites...KB)
Also, please have him review some additional reviews of other 
Leatherwood/Hi-Lux products like the CMR "

Today, especially since we've purchased our own factory, we are 
manufacturing solid optics, especially for the price point...and it 
isn't just our marketing hype saying it.

But, for this specific situation, without being able to look at that 
scope, we cannot root cause the issue.  The performance he has 
described is absolutely unacceptable.

I sincerely regret his negative experience with a Leatherwood/Hi-Lux 
product.  Please encourage him to return the scope so we can 
determine why it has performed so poorly, as we do not wish for our 
production process to repeat such an error."

There it is, from the product producer himself... 

Corbett is trying hard to realize his father's dream of "a great optic at a price everyone can afford. "

Edited by Kickboxer - August/01/2010 at 03:39

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic