OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

sighting in a Tactical scope???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrowCawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sighting in a Tactical scope???
    Posted: October/24/2005 at 14:20
Need some help with sighting in a Leupold mark-4 tactical scope.  Thanks
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2005 at 12:13
could you be alittle more  specific as to what you have and what you need?  
CrowCawler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrowCawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2005 at 12:17
Never owned a tactical scope before.  Finally found that if you remove the windage and elevation M3 dials it would be a lot easier to sight in.  I guess you remove the dials, sight in at zero/200yds for a .308, then replace the dials to 0 and tightened them down.  I can then adjust from a zeroed gun what adjustments conditions require.  Does this sound correct?  Thanks, Tim
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2005 at 12:33
Sounds like you have it figured out.
I set mine at 100 yards and use the "X"  in yards X 100 as the 100 yard setting.  You'll need to shoot the rifle at several distances to be sure your load matches the BDC settings though.

Kenton Industries will engrave a dial for you once you have the range data for your rifle.

Good Shooting,

Mike
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2005 at 20:59

Originally posted by CrowCawler CrowCawler wrote:

Never owned a tactical scope before.  Finally found that if you remove the windage and elevation M3 dials it would be a lot easier to sight in.  I guess you remove the dials, sight in at zero/200yds for a .308, then replace the dials to 0 and tightened them down.  I can then adjust from a zeroed gun what adjustments conditions require.  Does this sound correct?  Thanks, Tim

Tim,

You have got the right idea about the knobs. I dont take mine off or reset at "0" until the wepons is zeroed.

Most guys I know generally zero rifles that bullet exceed 3000 fps at 250 yds and anything below at 200 yds.

That being said my 300 WM (2970 fps) is zeroed dead on  @ 300 yds and calibrated in 25 yd increments out to 875 yds and calibrated in again in 25 yd increments to 100 yds.

Joe

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrowCawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2005 at 10:26
I really want to learn how to do all that you are speaking about.  I have hunted and had a lot of guns and a lot of scopes, I have just never taken it to the next level.  I had a Remington VS in a .308 and Leupold LR target scope and really enjoyed target shooting and hunting.  I have this new gun and scope and plan to learn how to use both.  I carried it to a world class gunshop and had the trigger lightened.  It is ready.  This scope has plenty of room to expand my abilities.  I will read a litte bit more about the scope and then get with you on some tips on how to actually obtain the results I'm looking for.  I will be trying some different bullets as well.  Thanks for responding to my thread.  Tim
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2005 at 09:28

There is no difference between the turret corrections between a target scope and a tactical scope. How each shooter choices to utilize them however is different. There is somewhat of a confusion here. If a gun/scope/load is sighted dead on at 300 yds and is a 1/2'' grouper at 100 yards, will it group less than 1/2" because it was sighted in at 300 yds. No. The cone of fire and the dispersion built into the gun can only allow certain combinations. Whether the scope device allows a calibration of increment drop by "dialing in" is only one method. Assuming that the gun is capable of moa at 100 yds, this is still 8 inchs of random error at 800 yds that cannot be compensated for by any dialing in. (although it will get you close). Assuming a rock solid rest, no wind and 1/4 angle 100 yd. groups this is still at least 2 inches of random error. If you know the velocity (get a chronograph) and B.C. setting something like 3" high at 100 will take care of most problems and in a hunting situation "hold-over" is never needed. In any case the magnification needed to resolve the difference in target hold off past 300 yds is a lot more than 10X. Lastly do not get to light of a trigger, if you do the trigger will control you and will catch you napping. The most important part is that it is clean. Military 2 stage triggers, such as found on M-1A's, although having heavy pulls are extremely crisp allowing this type of shooting. Target and Varmit triggers are another animal.

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2005 at 19:22

Another good site for information on long range shooting is snipershide.com. There are a couple of wicked stick builders & a lot of good info on practical use of equipment, ranging, wind doping, & field expident use of mildot's.

There is also a great thread about MILDOT reticles on this site at the top of the tactical scopes page.

Joe

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrowCawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2005 at 08:48
Thanks...I will try to find more info on what I have.  Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic