OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FOOTBALL STADIUM COMPACT BINOCULARS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mosnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOOTBALL STADIUM COMPACT BINOCULARS?
    Posted: July/25/2010 at 19:06
I am looking at the Nikon ProStaff ATB Binoculars in 12x25 or 10x25.  Is this a good compact for large college football stadiums?  I know nothing about optics and am wanting a decent pair of compact binoculars that will be easy to fit in a pocket and full size binocs are out. The primary application is looking 100 yards downfield. 

What do you think?  Are these a good choice or am I way off?  Thanks! 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 20:03
My experience... I had compact 10x25's and hated them. I thought the same thing that they would be great for sporting events and concerts. They were so light that I couldn't keep 'em steady, way too much shake, 12x25's would be even worse.

Edited by mike650 - July/25/2010 at 22:56
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 22:41
Here is a pick, and that is the Nikon 8x25 Travellite V.  Under $100.  Will perform as well as
the top names, and for in a stadium, you don't want anything over 8x.  Unless you are looking
at that cheerleader bending over in the other endzone.  OOPS, I did not say that.

Really, 8x is max.  Also for under $100, get the Leupold 6x30 Yosemite, great optics, will not disappoint, I got mine right here at "SWFA". 
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 09:55
If you have any Sporting Goods Stores in your area take a look through one of these:

Edited by Bird Watcher - July/26/2010 at 19:06
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 10:19
I use an 8x32 Bushnell at Ford Field in Detroit and The Big House in Ann Arbor. They are good enough for the intended purpose. Easy to carry and decent to hold steady.
I think you would be better off with less power. A small 12X would be very hard to hold steady and your images would be blurred. I have a hard enough time holding the various 10x40's steady.
Welcome to O.T.
Doug
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 11:24
+1 on the 6X30 Leupold Yosemites.  I can't think of a much better stadium binocular.
-Matt
tucson47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucson47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 14:26

I've been working the stats crew in the press box for 30 years and with anything over 7x you will be missing a lot of action.  The 6x30 Yosemites work great!

tompac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 16:19
 I have been wanting a pair of compact binoculars for some time. Have 8x Monarchs and while the optics are plenty good for what I am doing, need something smaller. How would you rate the optics on the Yosemite? Price seems awful cheap. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 19:10
Originally posted by tompac tompac wrote:

How would you rate the optics on the Yosemite? Price seems awful cheap. 
Best bang for the Buck in that price range.

tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 19:25
13.2 degrees is about 693' with these. You ought to be able to see both end zones from the 50 yard line . . .

Edited by tpcollins - July/26/2010 at 19:25
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 19:30
Very expensive, very difficult to find, and they are not sharp out to the edges, but might? be acceptable if someone can afford the price tag.Sad

Edited by Bird Watcher - July/26/2010 at 19:34
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 21:04
[QUOTE=Bird Watcher]If you have any Sporting Goods Stores in your area take a look through one of these:

[/QUOTE

Birdwatcher:

I like the Nikons, but he stated compacts in his post.  The Yosemite qualifies.  The little
6x30 fits the bill.Smile

Jerry]
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 21:06
Originally posted by tpcollins tpcollins wrote:

13.2 degrees is about 693' with these. You ought to be able to see both end zones from the 50 yard line . . .

TP:

That is quite a find.  Would that qualify as a """Wide""" angle. Big Smile
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 21:15
http://www.leupold.com/observation/products/binoculars/yosemite-series/yosemite-6x30mm/ Bandito
The Leupold is 4.6" long
The Nikon is 4.7" long

Edited by Bird Watcher - July/26/2010 at 21:19
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 22:02
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

http://www.leupold.com/observation/products/binoculars/yosemite-series/yosemite-6x30mm/ Bandito
The Leupold is 4.6" long
The Nikon is 4.7" long
You should check the specs, the Leupold, is 4.6 " x 6.3" wide,  17 oz.
                                             Nikon        4.7   x 7.2    ""     28.2 oz.

The Leupold is a compact the Nikon is not.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 22:23
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 21:34
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/compact-binoculars-be.php  Wink
Good of you to post that review, that is why I recommended the Nikon Travellite on an earlier
post.  Many of these  BVD reviews were from some years past and did not include some newer smaller types like the Yosemite.

For some watching here, the compacts do not match up with a more full size optic, but
offer the small size that is what was requested.
TexasPhotog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasPhotog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 08:26
I own a pair of the Yosemite 6x30's and they are quite good for the price.  They're also fairly compact and light weight, but they aren't pocket binocs.  They'd be great football binocs.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 15:30
I'd also stay with 6x or 8x for football.  The yosemite is a great fit for sporting events.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 18:43
6x30 Yosemite is easily the best bang for the buck here.

However, in terms of portability a reverse porro or a small roof binocular would be more compact.

Unfortunately, most reverse porro binos do not come with magnification lower than 8x, but 8x25 of some sort might fit the bill.  Try 8x26 Vortex Vanquish, 8x25 Nikon Travelite, and 8x25 Pentax UCF WP.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic