OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best scope for Remington 700 adl 30-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyness316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best scope for Remington 700 adl 30-06
    Posted: July/24/2010 at 20:55
I'm looking into getting a scope for my remington 700, I'm interested in the SWFA SS 10 x 42 or the 16 x 42. I'm going to be using it for long range target shooting and long range hunting, also not really looking to spend 1k on one!!! Any information/opinions/suggestions would be helpful!! thank you, Matt
I love my kids
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 21:23
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 21:31
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

have you considered the ss10xhd??
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P42527.aspx

Thunbs Up       Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
lyness316 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyness316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 22:04
hey thanks for replying that is a bite more then i would like to spend what about the swfa ss 10x42 or the swfa ss the 299.99 one is that a good scope for my remington 700 in 30-06
I love my kids
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 22:42
you said you didnt want to spend $1K, um $300 is a big step down from a a grand, maybe you should have said you didnt want to spend more than $400-$500??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 02:37
So you are certain you will always encounter game at 100 yards or more?  Under 100 yards, a 10x is difficult to acquire game with... not impossible, but difficult. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 03:41
If that doesn't fit your fancy SWFA is selling Vortex Vipers 6.5-20x44 for $ 399.99 Might meet your needs better tha afixed 10X.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 09:22
I can't agree with any of the scopes mentioned for an ADL in 30.06.
A 30.06 ADL is certainly fine for hunting at most ranges for big game. It will also do a decent job for occasional target use including some long range. It is first and foremost a hunting rifle. But, for both uses, a fixed 10X+ or a high powered variable will not take advantage of the guns diverse assets.
I would look at many of the 3-9 or 2.5-10 class scopes available for around $300. A scope of this type can be used at ten yards all the way out to ethical ranges on game for the .06. They will also do yeoman's duty for target use.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P6910.aspx
http://swfa.com/Nikon-25-10x42-Monarch-Riflescope-P42328.aspx
http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Monarch-UCC-Riflescope-P45664.aspx
Also the Zeiss 3-9 is always a solid choice.
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx
There are also many others that I haven't used. If you are looking for a specific type of reticle, that could change things too.
Welcome to O.T.

Doug
lyness316 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyness316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 10:09
what is a good long range gun 308 7mm
I love my kids
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 10:28
They're all good long range calibers for for a variety a reasons. It also depends on what you consider long range and for what purpose.
The 30.06 is reasonable for deer and such at 400 yds. It is also good for target use out past 600 yds. Maybe not optimum but who cares. If that is what you have and are going to use it like that, I think that will make you a rifleman with an ADL.
You see how you run with what you have. Then you can specialize if time and money allow.
Good luck.

Doug
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 11:03
I agree, 30-06 is not ideally scoped with a fixed 10X, not with other options on the market today.

What is your shooting background and comfort with a rifle?
Are there ranges nearby that go out to/beyond 500 yards?
What will you be hunting, exactly?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 15:35
What is a good long range gun?

I have a buddy that use to shoot up to 1000 yd matches with a sharps 45-90 and a 3 band enfield musket. I have tried it some with his rifle but don't do it regularly
We also like to shoot 200 and 300 yd informal shoots with his 310 cadet just messing around at the range.

martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 19:59
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I can't agree with any of the scopes mentioned for an ADL in 30.06.
A 30.06 ADL is certainly fine for hunting at most ranges for big game. It will also do a decent job for occasional target use including some long range. It is first and foremost a hunting rifle. But, for both uses, a fixed 10X+ or a high powered variable will not take advantage of the guns diverse assets.
I would look at many of the 3-9 or 2.5-10 class scopes available for around $300. A scope of this type can be used at ten yards all the way out to ethical ranges on game for the .06. They will also do yeoman's duty for target use.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P6910.aspx
http://swfa.com/Nikon-25-10x42-Monarch-Riflescope-P42328.aspx
http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Monarch-UCC-Riflescope-P45664.aspx
Also the Zeiss 3-9 is always a solid choice.
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx
There are also many others that I haven't used. If you are looking for a specific type of reticle, that could change things too.
Welcome to O.T.

+1

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 20:37
1000 yards with a 45-90?

You're probably fine with the 30-06.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 21:08
I have a 700 ADL and would consider it a hunting rig but suppose that you may make it a long range gun with a few minor alterations.I would look at the 5-15 Bushnell Legend or 3200 if you want a very good scope for the money.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 22:03
I agree with others that the the .30-06 is as much a "one- size- fits- all- uses" caliber as any available and that it's general purpose nature would be hampered at close range by having a scope that had a high- power at the low end.

Can you imagine trying to get your cross- hairs on that 400 lb. gnarly old boar that's heading your direction like a freight train with 4" tusks and you've got a 6x at 30 yds?

I think you would be best served by something in the 2x-4x range on the low end... there's a reason that 3-9's are as popular as they are (as is the .30-06).

If you are interested in long- range shooting, that '06 can handle it, but be sure and get a scope with a large adjustment range which is known to have repeatability of turret adjustments.
Then, just learn the capabilities of you and your rifle by practicing at different ranges until you can dial- in the drop needed for the distance.

Something with well- designed holdover points might be useful for your purpose... a Conquest 3-9x40 w/Z-600 reticle comes to mind- that's what ended up on my ADL '06.
The SS 3-9 would be another great choice, as others have said.

Buy as much quality as you can afford. There are some great choices out there, you just need to do your homework and this forum is a great place to start; the search function is your friend.

Have fun putting your multi- purpose machine together and let us know how it goes.

Edited by Alan Robertson - July/25/2010 at 22:08
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 22:57
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 10:04
I'm with the ford guy on this... Get a Zeiss Conquest with one of the Z reticals. The SS 3x9 is good if you are going to spend a lot of time doing load development.  The main this is an extra clear scope for long range.  A  6x42 is plenty for true hunting with the '06.   It is more than most of the snipers had in WWII.  It's where I find my 3x9 set most of the time.

By the time you make a Christmas list out of the gun and scope, you get something expencive that does nothing well.  Hunting takes a wider field of view than punching cans or paper.  Even if you plink every weekend at 600 yards, unless you live way out west, stuff will happen up close and fast when hunting.  You don't to hear about hitting a can at 600 yard and missing a deer at 70. ;)
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 13:27
Originally posted by lyness316 lyness316 wrote:

I'm looking into getting a scope for my remington 700, I'm interested in the SWFA SS 10 x 42 or the 16 x 42. I'm going to be using it for long range target shooting and long range hunting, also not really looking to spend 1k on one!!! Any information/opinions/suggestions would be helpful!! thank you, Matt

What is long range to you, sir?

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic