OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 700 Upgrades...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 700 Upgrades...
    Posted: July/24/2010 at 03:49
Already thinking of doing some upgrades to that VSF when I get it...such as trigger (i'm hoping mine is adjustable as i'm unimpressed with it after dry-firing it in the shop) and firing pin spring (decrease lock time). I wouldn't mind a 10 round .223 detachable magazine setup too.

What upgrades are available???

What upgrades have you fitted to your 700???
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 04:42
Certainly fit a Timney or some other aftermarket trigger. The stock can also be skimbedded. Yes, the aliminium bedding block is only OK. The stock can also do with some work. I had the oversized palm swells removed and weight added to the rear for a better balancing rifle.
Cuting the barrel back to 24" and recrowning it is also not a bad idea.
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 06:13
I'll second the Timney trigger (or other aftermarket trigger).
The adjustable X-Mark that came on my SPS Varmint broke where the adjusting screw came through the trigger shoe after some dry firing and four rounds through the rifle. I thought it was a fluke but the more I look the more I find it is more common than I first thought.
I used a Timney but others seem to be at least as good from what I have read.

Edited by BobC - July/24/2010 at 06:14
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 06:19
Failed to mention but my VSF is left handed...don't think Timney does left handed Remington 700 triggers Sad...
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 06:26
I just checked their website...they now do!!! Excellent I checked 6 months back and they didn't...
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 11:41
If your 700 has the X-Mark Pro adj. trigger you won't need to get an aftermarket trigger. Just find a smith who knows how to adj them. For the FP get a Gre-Tan set-up or the Callahan replacement. Both are made by PT&G.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 11:46
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

If your 700 has the X-Mark Pro adj. trigger you won't need to get an aftermarket trigger. Just find a smith who knows how to adj them. For the FP get a Gre-Tan set-up or the Callahan replacement. Both are made by PT&G.

depending on how old your gun is could make a slight difference. i have a m700 cdlsf, it was the first generation xmark trigger, and it was pretty damn tough to break the epoxy loose on the sear engagement screw. the following generations of xmarks however, dont appear to cause this trouble. i really like mine its certainly high enough quality and adjusts enough to make me happy.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:16
The first thing I'd do is trash the stock, it is terrible (in my humble opinion.)  I have one sitting in my closet, no one wants it.

Next, to the broader question, everything on that gun is customizable - one of the real draws to the 700 action.  Anything you want to swap can be changed out.

Next Timney trigger, better break, better trigger blade, better piece of gear, worth the money, in my opinion.

First thing I'd look to is the stock.  if it fits you, great, use it.  Mine didn't fit me well, now the action sits in a McMillan HTG, far superior in every possible way.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:25
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

depending on how old your gun is could make a slight difference. i have a m700 cdlsf, it was the first generation xmark trigger, and it was pretty damn tough to break the epoxy loose on the sear engagement screw. the following generations of xmarks however, dont appear to cause this trouble. i really like mine its certainly high enough quality and adjusts enough to make me happy.

pyro, that's why I said adj (for adjustable that is).
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:42

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

pyro, that's why I said adj (for adjustable that is).

umm????? im not sure your getting at roy, all i was saying is that the first model's like mine is fine other than the epoxy i encountered.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:50
What I'm getting at is the second generation is externally adj for trigger pull weight. No epoxy to deal with in that regard unless you want to make adj to the sear and overtravel adj.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:51
10-4 copy that. as you know to correctly adjust a trigger, you must adjust the other two as well.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:56
[ I would upgrade to a Winchester..............]        

Roll on Floor Laughing

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 22:07
Get your head out of the book and read. He is a lefty. There was never much of a choice from Winchester for leftys. Little but not much.     Devil
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 23:31
The rifle I am buying is about 2 to 4 years old. Someone ordered it and then backed out of the deal and it has been sitting in its box, out the back of the shop collecting dust for 2 years. I don't think my trigger is the X-Mark Pro as I can't find anything externally adjustable on it. But the sales guy said it was a "target trigger" and adjustable...so I don't know. Bucky

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The first thing I'd do is trash the stock, it is terrible (in my humble opinion.)  I have one sitting in my closet, no one wants it.

Is the H-S Precision stock that bad???

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

the action sits in a McMillan HTG

If this is the stock from the M40A1 rifle then post pics PLZ!!!

Edited by The Apostle - July/25/2010 at 03:40
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 01:46
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Get your head out of the book and read. He is a lefty. There was never much of a choice from Winchester for leftys. Little but not much.     Devil

Bucky                It was a yoke.     Wink         A "funny".............Not-To-Be-Taken-Seriously.......( don't you need to go mow a lawn??? )     Roll on Floor Laughing      

Laugh        Laugh Above            Big Grin      
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
jay 22/250 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay 22/250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 17:02
i would have the jewell trigger. better trigger imo. mind if your lefthanded i dont no if they do them. im lefthanded but i perfer a rifle with righthanded bolt. its easy to reload when on a bipod out in the field.

dont even have to take my eye from the scope
winchester 22/250 stealth,zeiss victory 6x24x56 scope,ase mod,jewell trigger
tikka m595 222,ase mod,ziess conquest 6.5x24x50 scope.
annie 1417 22lr,logun mod,4x24 fixed mag scope
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 08:25
They do (Timney)make a left hand. You could also fit a right hand and fit a separate bolt stop as I did.

Product Details

Overview

The 510 comes with a safety that blocks the trigger, not the sear, which is a totally new design. No screws, drilling, or tapping required.

The Model 510 will bring a whole new realm of accuracy to your Remington rifle. Each trigger is geometrically identical with tolerances less than .0005”. adjustable from 1.5 to 4 lbs.

Also available:
Nickel Plated #512
Left Hand #511
Left Hand / Nickel Plated #513

Edited by 8shots - July/26/2010 at 08:27
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 23:24
Originally posted by The Apostle The Apostle wrote:

The rifle I am buying is about 2 to 4 years old. Someone ordered it and then backed out of the deal and it has been sitting in its box, out the back of the shop collecting dust for 2 years. I don't think my trigger is the X-Mark Pro as I can't find anything externally adjustable on it. But the sales guy said it was a "target trigger" and adjustable...so I don't know. Bucky

[QUOTE=Rancid Coolaid]The first thing I'd do is trash the stock, it is terrible (in my humble opinion.)  I have one sitting in my closet, no one wants it.

Is the H-S Precision stock that bad??

I'm confused, mate. In this neck of the woods, a VSF has a stainless action and fluted barrel, and a low-end ventilated varmint-style synthetic stock made by either Bell and Carlson or possbly Hogue; I don't think they've been sold here for more than one or two years. A VSSF-II is similar (action might be a little better quality) but with the good H-S Precision stock and sell for about 30-40% more. To further confuse things, I own a .22-250 SPSS, not the one with a sporter stock as in the Rem. website, but with the aforementioned (cheap) varmint style, a Cabela's special in stainless with an unfluted barrel...
If you do, indeed have the H-S stock, and if it was chambered in .22-250 or several other cal's but not .223, you could buy an H-S Precision detatchable box magazine assembly to fit (only 5-shot, though.) Don't know of anyone making a similar mag kit for .223.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 06:13
The one I got is definitely the VSF model (Varmint Synthetic Fluted according to the box). According to the Remington website it was released in late 2006 and is now no longer made so it was only produced for 2-3 years. 

From the Remington website:

"Model 700 VSF – Recently upgraded, this heavy-barreled rifle features a well-designed H.S. Precision composite stock with a contoured beavertail fore-end, defined ambidextrous finger grooves, palm swell and twin front tactical-style swivel studs to accommodate a sling and bipod. The desert tan stock has a textured, black webbed finish. The 26-inch hammer-forged, carbon steel barrel with satin blued finish features concave target-style crown and six longitudinal flutes for rigidity and increased heat dissipation as well as weight reduction. Receiver is drilled and tapped for scope mounts and the hinged floorplate magazine has a four round capacity. With its full length aluminum bedding, the VSF is designed for the precision shooter or long-range varminter. Suggested retail price: $1159"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic