OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What da ya think

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corndawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What da ya think
    Posted: July/23/2010 at 19:32
I need a new scope. I would like to run down the history of this rifle, and it's past riders.
The rifle is a former Rem sendero 7mm mag. The original owner is a smith that trashed the barrel, re-chambered it to .257 stw, trued the action, tuned the trig to 2 lbs, hogged out and bedded the HS stock, and screwed in a 28" Douglas, bead blasted stainless measuring .833 @ the muzzle.
I bought it from him for $1200 with less than a box thru it.
First scope was a BSA Contender 6x-24x (don't say it). Burris mounts. Horrible mirage at long range on warm days, just couldn't turn it up.
I had it on the hardwood living room floor on an extended bi-pod, and knocked it over.
Upside down from about 9". Crumpled the bell like a crushed beer can.
Next scope was a B&L (Bushnell) 6x-24x 40mm 4200 w/ Warne tac rings & 20 moa rail.
Very good glass, but just got tired of it, and wanted something else so I sold it for probably much less than it was worth.
This is not a main hunting rifle due to the weight although I have dropped (3) deer with it, so very low power isn't nesessary.
On the range it can pop 100 gr btips @ 4000 thru the crony with 83 gr of RE25 or Retumbo (yes, a barrle burner).
300 yrd zero puts it around a foot low @ 500 yrds at speed.
SS 10x hd
SIII 6x-24x 50mm md
Zeiss Conquest 6.5x-20x md (silver would look great on this rig).

I'm hot on the SS. Read too much good sh#t on it.
I know the other two are very good as well.
Would I be satisfied with a fixed 10x on this gun?
I may be too used to cranking up the power ring when I'm looking 600 down range.
Sorry for all the talk, but Im ready to make a move with SWFA.
Every scope has come from them for the past 10 yrs.

I like to measure powder by the cup.

You can tell a lot about a man by the edge he keeps on his pocket knife.

ROLLTIDE!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 11:08
I have a friend with that same gun, similar setup; you will burn through barrels, every shot is like taking a plasma torch to the throat.  But it'll kill a deer grave-yard dead!

The scopes you have chosen in the past have not been good fits to that gun for multiple reasons.

I did a review of the Sightron awhile back, it is a good scope, quite nice glass for the price; if this is primarily a bench gun, the S3 would be a good fit. 

Additionally, the Conquest too is a good optic.  It's about 3 Benjamins more, and i'm not sure you will appreciate $300 additional value, but that's just my opinion.  I do like the Conquest turrets' feel a little better, but like tht the Sightron's turrets aren't plastic (not that I've ever hurt a plastic Conquest turret.)

The 10X HD is an awesome scope, and for the money, the best deal going on a 10X tac scope; however, you are not in need of a tactical scope.  Given the purpose and use, and limiting my remarks to the scopes you mentioned, I'd get the S3.

To my friend with the same setup, I recommended he slow the rounds down for targets and speed them up for deer - extends the barrel life.  Lastly, don't overdo it.  He kept coming back to me with cases saying, "Is this OK?"  Cratered primers, blown out primers, split shoulders: all are bad pressure signs and indicate that life might be coming to an end for the shooter as well as the target.  Reload responsibily.

It is an impressive cartridge and definitely ends the lives of game quickly.  Given what you have in the rifle, I'd top it with good glass.  It'd be a shame to have the rifle limited by the optic.  I'd get the S3 with mil dot.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 11:47
One other scope that I would consider is the Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 with green mil dot reticle. It only has 50 moa of internal adjustment so that may be your limiting factor on extreme long range but worth consideration as that illumination would be nice on targets.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:05
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

One other scope that I would consider is the Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 with green mil dot reticle. It only has 50 moa of internal adjustment so that may be your limiting factor on extreme long range but worth consideration as that illumination would be nice on targets.

I limited my remarks to those he mentioned; but yes, the Trijicon is nice, I have one on an AR10 and like it allot, pigs don't stand a chance!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic