OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Groundhogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Groundhogs
    Posted: July/23/2010 at 07:11
Well I surprised my self last night with a near miss and a drop'em right there shot.

I have had a groundhog problem for a couple of years now.  the hogs have gotten under the concrete slab of my pole-barn,  under my 10X20 shed and recently the side of my garage.  They have been extremely skittish and hard to get.   My son's gotten a couple and so has my neighbor to the west of me.  I have to be careful cause the neighbor to the east is thet typical tree hugging, animal lover busy body that wants to control everybodies live.  They are responsible for making the township put up no parking signs on our 1/4mi. Dead-end cul-de-sac.

Anyway I happened to glance out the Kitchen sliding glass doors into the backyard and spotted two of the little bastards out feeding on the sweet succulent grasses behind the Polebarn that are fed by some surface springs.  I would have realy liked to christen my SAV 223 but it would have made too much noice!  So I ran upstairs and grabbed my son's 22LR since it was the only 22 with a scope and headed back to the kitchen.

I've only shot that gun a couple of times and not recently.  My shots were taken from inside the kitchen.  It was like shooting from a tall tree stand, height wise, as my back yard slopes off and the house is raised so that I have an 8ft high deck off the kitchen.  Distance was 110+ yds, elavation about 24ft.

The Ghogs were about 20ft part with the closest facing me and the other quartering away.  I figured get the closest 1st since he is facing me and will probably see me with the first shot.  He was laying on his belly grazing.  I purposely aimed a couple inches high cause of the distance. 

My first shot missed high but hit directly behind him because of the angle.  He jumped then took off the in the exact opposite direction...and away from the polebarn so I'm sure he saw me.

The other sat up and tried to identify the danger but was distracted by the neighbors so was still quartering away and sitting up.

2nd shot, I aimed lower sighting on center of head.  He dropped like a rock and didn't even twitch.  I waited about an hour checking every 15 minutes or so hoping the other Ghog would return to the open.

By this time the son was home and we both went out and checked out my trophy.  Apparently I severed the spine in the neck for an instant kill.  My son of coarse was teasing my about missing the first one then asked where I had shot from?  When I told him from inside the kitchen he was very surprised and somewhat impressed!  Incidentally he won't go shooting with me anymore.  He is too competative and hates loosing!!!  Wonder where he got that from? Bucky   I estimate the Ghog at around 12-15pds solid little sucker!

Man, did that ever wet my appetite for more!!!
e
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 08:17
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Well I surprised my self last night with a near miss and a drop'em right there shot.

I have had a groundhog problem for a couple of years now.  the hogs have gotten under the concrete slab of my pole-barn,  under my 10X20 shed and recently the side of my garage.  They have been extremely skittish and hard to get.   My son's gotten a couple and so has my neighbor to the west of me.  I have to be careful cause the neighbor to the east is thet typical tree hugging, animal lover busy body that wants to control everybodies live.  They are responsible for making the township put up no parking signs on our 1/4mi. Dead-end cul-de-sac.

Anyway I happened to glance out the Kitchen sliding glass doors into the backyard and spotted two of the little bastards out feeding on the sweet succulent grasses behind the Polebarn that are fed by some surface springs.  I would have realy liked to christen my SAV 223 but it would have made too much noice!  So I ran upstairs and grabbed my son's 22LR since it was the only 22 with a scope and headed back to the kitchen.

I've only shot that gun a couple of times and not recently.  My shots were taken from inside the kitchen.  It was like shooting from a tall tree stand, height wise, as my back yard slopes off and the house is raised so that I have an 8ft high deck off the kitchen.  Distance was 110+ yds, elavation about 24ft.

The Ghogs were about 20ft part with the closest facing me and the other quartering away.  I figured get the closest 1st since he is facing me and will probably see me with the first shot.  He was laying on his belly grazing.  I purposely aimed a couple inches high cause of the distance. 

My first shot missed high but hit directly behind him because of the angle.  He jumped then took off the in the exact opposite direction...and away from the polebarn so I'm sure he saw me.

The other sat up and tried to identify the danger but was distracted by the neighbors so was still quartering away and sitting up.

2nd shot, I aimed lower sighting on center of head.  He dropped like a rock and didn't even twitch.  I waited about an hour checking every 15 minutes or so hoping the other Ghog would return to the open.

By this time the son was home and we both went out and checked out my trophy.  Apparently I severed the spine in the neck for an instant kill.  My son of coarse was teasing my about missing the first one then asked where I had shot from?  When I told him from inside the kitchen he was very surprised and somewhat impressed!  Incidentally he won't go shooting with me anymore.  He is too competative and hates loosing!!!  Wonder where he got that from? Bucky   I estimate the Ghog at around 12-15pds solid little sucker!

Man, did that ever wet my appetite for more!!!
e

Definitely a liberal, limp wristed type im sure. I'd skim a few shots over his house just for the fun of it! Big Grin
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 08:26
Actually their both retired cops.  He's ex bomb squad and has his head on straight, she was a desk jocky and a totally PIA that somehow got disability for carpal tunnel!!! And the neighborhood nosy!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 08:41
Well when you work for the state you get all kinds of freebees. Carpal Tunnel is fixable, my mother had it and had surgery, and was paid for the time she missed (she works at a school district so ie state job) but didn't claim disability. She completely recovered. I have a hard believing that it would completely take away your ability to work if fixed properly.

That's surprising that cops would be those types...control freaks yeah, i get that but tree huggers?

Edited by shooter07 - July/23/2010 at 08:41
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 09:19
Hahahaha...... you are asking for trouble.... just wait until GroundHog day.... Six more weeks of winter for you.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 09:23
She is a totaly busibody and control freak.  Remeber she was a desk jocky and  never was out on the street.  Doesn't like guns.  I think the only reason she was a cop was because she likes uniforms.  At least that is what her kids say!  You never see her outside but she lives to look out the window!!!  Often wondered why tha hell she moved to a rural setting, she doesn't like the outdoors!!!
--Thomas Jefferson

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 09:26
Doesn't like guns??? Why become a cop then lol? And then to marry a cop who does actual police work.....hahaha, oh the irony of life.

Anyway, Bud you'd love it up in Perry County, for any type of hunting, but hog hunting is excellent. Large swaths of land and TONS of hogs like to get bold.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 09:35
Whoa Bud! Let me tell you, there is nothing worse than a liberal cop. Most of the ones we had (old dept.) were a total waist of a good badge, and the ones that did do the job were know-it-alls and considered everyone else beneath them.
You have my sympathies.

Try telling them how great Florida is to live in.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 09:36
Well what are we waiting for?!?!?!  Oh yeah...your new stick!!!  Bummer!

You can still use your AR in hte mean time, hint, hint! Wink
--Thomas Jefferson

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 09:38
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Whoa Bud! Let me tell you, there is nothing worse than a liberal cop. Most of the ones we had (old dept.) were a total waist of a good badge, and the ones that did do the job were know-it-alls and considered everyone else beneath them.
You have my sympathies.

Try telling them how great Florida is to live in.

Lynn, how many "liberal" cops do you think are out there nowadays? I can't stand the left loons anyway because they have no problem telling you their resume or how scholastically smarter they are than you. I just can't associate those types doing actual police work. A cop like that, back in the day, would get his ass kicked (taken to the woodshed) by the others, id think.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 09:45
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Well what are we waiting for?!?!?!  Oh yeah...your new stick!!!  Bummer!

You can still use your AR in hte mean time, hint, hint! Wink

Oh, i've bagged a bunch this year already, won't say what firearms i've used Wink but there are still many more to be had yet. I think i'm up to 11 or 12 right now. Next weekend that # will definitely increase as my best friends family have a pig roast planned. It's a yearly gig, where we put a full pig on the coals at 2am in the morning and eat about 4-5pm. It's the best food i'll have all year. Old style cooking, probably about 40-50 people will be there. We have shooting contests, flag football etc...wife and i are really excited.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 10:10
Man that sounds like so much fun!!!  My folks never did anything like that when we lived in Florida (close to all the relatives).
Know you guys will have big fun!  I love those kind of get togethers! 
Yepper, bondfire, horseshoes, flag foot ball, scavenger hunt  and treasure hunt for the kids.
lots of GOOD food, beer and camaraderie! 
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 10:17
There's more than you think. Between 20-40% depending on topic (it does get hard to seperate some from others), but the 20% hardcore libs didn't get anywhere near the real streets. They just seemed to end up in internal affairs, crime prevention or some kind of community devlopement program or some such, at a desk. They were always ready to criticize a street cops actions or complain because the training is to violent and unrealistic because it involved a gun or physical force. Then you had the authoritarian liberals, these were the ones that worked the street and thought everyone was beneath them. They were tough on the thugs, but they towed the line of the liberal politicians. It was ok for THEM to have an assault rifle and handgun, but no one else is smart enough to own or use weapons, (a lot of police unions have this mentality). Both of these groups of liberal cops have a tendency to suck up to the political powers and try to get promoted. Ever wonder why the police won't do anything about crime? Who do you think writes the policies that tie the hands of cops or encourages them to look the other way.
I've yacked to long so I'm gonna quit before I wright a book.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 10:41
The same went for the military Lynn. The ass kissers are always the ones who elevate themselves and will put a knife in the back of a co worker to get there. And now you have our guys on the ground who can't properly fight because of Rules of Engagement blah blah blah. This country is being run by the hippie generation of the 60's. No offense to your age group, but those that fought against this country in the 60's are running everything now. Government, military, business and we're all just taking it up the arse.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 13:13
The real secret that was kept during the 60's was Flower power was for all the Blooming Idots.I found out about it when I had the Honor to serve my Country 65'-69'American Flag
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 14:01
Lol, thanks for your service, especially in a time when you weren't well liked by your own country!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 14:06
This is the type of person who now runs our country!

This is my motto and the way we need to run things

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 14:20

How someone can advocate the 1st. amendment as an individual right, and not see the 2nd as an individual right also-- is beyond me. If one were to follow the liberal agenda's logic about all of it, logically, they should come out strongest supporters of gun rights. How you can use a term like Civil Liberties Union and not include support for the 2nd---??????

I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 14:26
Dale, it's because those same liberals don't need guns or use them for any purpose so therefor they feel nobody else should need them. It's absolute hypocrisy.

I don't think i've met a true leftist loon who's ever used a gun. They say they're dangerous and offer no use to society. I forgot that there are between 250-300 million privately owned guns in this country and that nearly 50% of households have a gun in them. I guess nobody needs or uses them. Loco

And the NRA has routinely shown that private gun ownership areas have far less crime in those that ban them. Bad people, with bad intentions will get them regardless, i have a right to protect myself and my family as well as enjoy recreation uses, like hunting and target shooting.

Liberals are morons and the world's biggest hypocrites.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 19:57
What you need Bud, is some poison oats.  Just put it down in the holes so that any of your cats and dogs can't get to it.  We did that two years in a row and basically got rid of all gophers in a square mile of land.  Ruined my gopher hunting, but good for the farming.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic