OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone Got These Bushnell Elites???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Got These Bushnell Elites???
    Posted: July/23/2010 at 05:26
Has anyone got these Bushnell Elites??? Need opinions...

1. Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40 (321040M)
2. Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 (any model) (but i'm particularly interested in the 6-24x40 Side Focus (426242P) and the 6-24x50 Non-illuminated (426245T))
3. Bushnell Elite 8-32x40 (428324M)

Edited by The Apostle - July/23/2010 at 05:26
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 11:46
Re.: #2., Bushnell 6-24X40 SF: I just mounted one; the "jury" is still out. Preliminary caution: don't rush out and buy one. Not the best side focus I've seen, and I'm not that impressed with the glass. Pressed for time right now and will post more details later today of possible.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 19:13
I've spent some time with all of the ones you mention.

Do you have a specific question about them?

ILya
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 21:23
The obvious question...are they any good??? I've read conflicting accounts on the net about the higher magnification Bushnell Elites 4200 models. Some say they're good, some say they're not as good as the lower magnification models. I have the 2.5-10x40 (was on my Ruger M77...soon to be fitted to my Savage Mark II) and the 4-16x40 (looked through but have not used yet).

Looking to fit either the 6-24x40SF, 6-24x50 or the 8-32x40 to the Remington 700 VSF in .223 that i've got on lay-by.

Looking to get the 3200 10x40 just for the hell of it...price is sub $300 Australian which is damn good value (seen it selling for approx $400 a while back). The 4200s have dropped in price a bit lately due to the strong Aussie dollar.

Edited by The Apostle - July/23/2010 at 21:53
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 21:40
They are pretty decent, for what you pay for them, although their utility depends on what you expect out of them.

Generally speaking, with the 1" scopes, there are two Elite 4200 ones: 6-24x40AO and 6-24x40SF.  The AO version is a fair bit better optically at high magnification.

6-24x50 is not bad at all, but it does get notably worse above 20x.  For that reason, I would say that if you really need high quality 24x, get Sightron S3 6-24x50 and if you are OK with 20x top end, check out the somewhat cheaper Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50.

With all that having been said, the Elite 4200 scopes are not bad, it is just that I can think of either better or cheaper options.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 22:01
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-6-24x50-Elite-4200-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P8746.aspx
I have these two the 6-24 is on a Tikka  .223 and the 4-16 is on a Tikka 30-06 both seem to be good scopes.  If I was going to buy another scope in that top end 20+ range I would probably select a Sightron S3 or a Trijicon Accupoint with green mil dot they cost a little more but I would rather have one of those personally.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 19:49
I agree with the last 2 posts. Was looking for a 24X SF with compact dimensions for my little Cooper 38/.221 Fireball; the 4200 Elite SF fit the bill. Aesthetically, it's great on that rifle, and tracking seems to be the usual for Bushnell: very good. However, B-nell should go back to drawing board - along with another major brand - and work on their side-focus; it simply is no match for my Nikon Buckmaster (1/2 the price) or, frankly no better than that which was on a cheapo BSA I once had. At much beyond 400 yds., I have to turn the SF knob to "infinity" for a sharp image and needless to say, any range beyond that doesn't focus worth a darn (luckily it's on a gun that won't be used much beyond 250 yds.); also, the parallax adj. is "backwards" from other SF scopes I've seen, and the action is kind of sloppy. Scope eye relief doesn't seem to be as long as claimed, and  light-gathering at dusk is average. And, why doesn't Bushnell offer Rainguard as a deletable option? Not very much needed by some, and I wonder if it's not just another layer of "something" to look through and possibly distort things...but that's another story. All in all, I'd say this is a good scope, but built with some compromises. A potential buyer should be sure to physically handle/view one first, and preferably not pay the usual retail price for one; getting a discount on one as I did kind of "levels the field" with other scopes in that price range that are as good or better in some areas.
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 03:50
Thanks for that Lew!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 05:35
You should probably consider the Zeiss Conquest also while you are at it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jay 22/250 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay 22/250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 06:22
i think the 4200 6x24x50 with side px is a good scope. good optics for sure. i had one on a annie 1517 hmr for a couple of years. and didnt seam to miss a thing with it.

rabbits and close range foxes it was a joy to use out of the 4x4 window at night on the farm.

the only downside i found was the field of view didnt seam that good. some people compare it to looking down a drain pipe Big Grin

in all a good scope. i would look at the conquest if i where you. i upgraded to a conquest. and didnt seam to see much difference in till i had used it for a couple of months.

i see a secondhand bushnell come up for sale from a mate of mine. so got that for the hmr and put the conquest on my 22/250.

i can tell you now after using the conquest the bushnell suddenly didnt seam as good as i remembered. i gues sit is all down to what you want to spend.

you cant get the conquest over here for sale in shops. its for the usa market only. ove rthe years there have been more up for sale here from people that have come back with them.

or imported them. but as the £against the $ has changed  alot of people are not getting the bargain they use to get. with tax and import duty now. your looking at over £700 for the conquest 6.5x20x50.

when before my mate got one and it worked out to £375 or something silly like that.

conquests have gone from being sold for £400 now £500 and just lately some have sold for £600. i think for £500 over here there is no better scope in that class for a centrefire.

to beat it you have to look at the high end swaro,s&b and zeiss victory.

winchester 22/250 stealth,zeiss victory 6x24x56 scope,ase mod,jewell trigger
tikka m595 222,ase mod,ziess conquest 6.5x24x50 scope.
annie 1417 22lr,logun mod,4x24 fixed mag scope
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 13:56
i concur with Ilya, I have a 30mm 6-24x50 sf elite 4200. not a whole bunch of MOA and gets dim quick over 20x. I also have a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and it is a bit brighter and now gets used more often. The elite has good optics but with all the new scopes coming out, I would be looking at Vortex in this price range as well as Conquest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic