OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope for 270 Win

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New scope for 270 Win
    Posted: July/21/2010 at 14:43

Hello,

I have a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 270 win Im scope shopping for. Its still unfired but i've already dropped it in a new Mcmillan stock complete with custom paint job. I have, in the past always used Leupold scopes but I want to try something new as I feel they may be a little pricey in todays market for what you can get.
In the past I also had an elite 3200 3-9x40 on an '06 that I liked ok. Ive also tried a Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50 on a 270 WSM. It was ok too.
I ordered a sightron Sii 3-9x40 a while back that I thought really sucked. I sent it down the road without even mounting it, maybe I got a lemon but the optics were worse than a new redfield revolution I have so off it went.

Most important to me by a HUGE margin is ruggedness followed closely by value - most bang per buck.

I want something I can use my Low Burris / Ruger rings with. Scopes I am considering are:

Vortex Viper 3-9x40 ($299) or 2-7x32 ($259)
Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 ($299) cant find ballistic reticle on this one though....
Minox 3-9x40 ($299)
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 ($349)

and still cant get over the urge to use a Leupold 6x36 LR (very light but only so-so optics)

I want something with a Ballistic reticle. I live on the Eastern side of the mountains in Washington so terrain could be anything depending on where we hunt. In other words shots range from close, to as far as I feel comfortable. The longest shot I have ever taken was 335 yards but I want to practice at longer ranges which is why I want a balistic type reticle. Or possible even try turrets.

What scope would you buy if you were in my shoes. Thanks.

Josh

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 14:49
Out of the choices you listed, Zeiss all the way.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 15:25
Figures....thats the one scope that costs an arm and a leg if you want a balistic reticle. Not to bad if I can live with the standard plex though...
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 15:26
Anyone have any experience with the Minox CS? Very interesting looking scope if you can overlook the lack of a track record. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 16:01
Doug
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 17:05
Very nice article, thanks. The Minox is looking very good, think im leaning that way at the moment. I doubt any of them will dissapoint me honestly. Everything i've read about all of them are good. Hard to find any complaints at all on these scopes really. Guess i'll just have to pick a couple and test drive em to see which one sticks.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 18:05
 Hey,Dude,have you considered one of these?  I've got one on my .270 Win  Fwt.  NICE scope.

Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800472
  • Matte
  • Ballistic X
  • 1"
  • Mail-In Coupon for a Free Canvas Gear Bag (Valued at $125)
Specifications
Weight (oz): 13

Ballistic X

Length (in): 11.9
Eye Relief (in): 3.5 - 3
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 35 - 11.3
Exit Pupil (mm): 12.6 - 4
Reviews - Average Rating: (based on 1 review)

Showing 1 Review:

Martin3175
on 12/29/2009
Well put together Have yet to meet anyone that has this scope that doesn't like it. I have tried it out against its comparably priced scopes and it definitely holds its own. The rubber covered power ring is easy to turn, and the shooter can quickly check the magnification with the numerals on the side instead of top of the bell. Optically clarity, eye relief, and light transmission are excellent and in line with some optics costing $100 more. Feel secure in owning a Grand Slam .... More

Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope

$299.95
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 18:38

I have never used a Weaver scope. Do you think it would stack up well against the others on my list? Hmmmm.....another scope to consider, jeez!!! Thanks for the suggestion. I will head down to the local shop and see if they have any in stock to look through.
Longarm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 18:47
 I have the 3x9x40 4200 on a Rem700 cdl in .270 and it's great.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 19:44
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

I have never used a Weaver scope. Do you think it would stack up well against the others on my list? Hmmmm.....another scope to consider, jeez!!! Thanks for the suggestion. I will head down to the local shop and see if they have any in stock to look through.

I can tell you that over the past few months I've been upgrading to some newer scopes but I kept the two Weaver GS scopes I've got.  It rates right up there with the other scopes in that price range. 
   Two yrs ago I took a deer in the lowest light I've had to shot in.  I could see movement and with my compact binocs I could tell it was a deer but had to make sure it was antlerless.  When I put the GS on it I had no problem telling it was legal. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 20:22
its a .270, a $4000 dollar scope wont help it.Bucky

in all seriousness though any of the scopes you listed will serve you well. the minox and the zeiss are really close and the other two arent any slouches either. i have a 3x9 4200 that sits on my .300wby currently, love it. i also have a 2x7 viper that sits on my .375H&H also love it.

Edited by pyro6999 - July/21/2010 at 20:24
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2010 at 16:57
I too have a 4200 on my SAV 270W. its the 2.5-10X40 w/ plex rect.  Its a very solid scope and I love the rainguard and great low light capabilities.  Its been on my 300WM too so you know it will handle the kick of a 270W.  However there seems to be a lot of negitive publicity flying around about there CS lately and that needs to be weighted in too!  I'd look over tehg Vortex line and see if you can find something you like! 
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2010 at 17:27
That is a pretty good list of quality scopes. I don't think you can go wrong.

I have a Conquest 3-9x42 rapid z 600 that I love, but you are right the reticle comes at a premium price.

Why not take a chance on the Minox?
-Matt
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 15:21
Ok fellas, I finally pulled the trigger on this scope....for the most part Wink. I agonized over this for a few weeks...its funny, I spent more thought and energy thinking about this than last time we did a multi-million dollar overhaul on the equipment at work...jeeez.
Anyway, in the end I went with Vortex. I based the decision on their reputation for durability and CS mostly and quality optics secondly. I damn near went with the Minox but decided to watch and wait on them.
I ordered a 3-9x40 Viper with the hold over reticle and a couple 2-7x32's with same reticle for good measure. I decided to upgrade optics on a couple other rifles while I was at it.
I will post some pictures when I have time to get them mounted. Maybe a range report if the Salmon ever stop running Big Smile, All my spare time has been spent on the river lately!!

Thanks to everyone for their input here.

Josh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic