OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for AR predator pursuit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ws6guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for AR predator pursuit
    Posted: July/21/2010 at 07:48
Well I just discovered this board while searching for scopes...man there is a wealth of information on here!

I just put together my first AR.  Is basically a .223 Rock River Predator Pursuit - 20" heavy barrel.  I need a little help with scope selection...the more scopes I look at the more undecided I get.

The gun will be an all purpose rifle.  Probably most of the time it will be punching paper however shooting some coyotes will be on it's list of occasional duties.  Also next year I'm wanting to put together a prairie dog hunt and this would by the rifle to take as well.

I started off looking at the Bushnell 4200 - 6-24x40 scopes mainly for p-dog & paper shooting but the more I read about p-dog hunting that I'll probably never use the 24x on the scope do to mirage effects.  Also for coyotes I'll probably want something with a little lower power.

I guess my dilemma is that I want a scope for long range but also need something to shoot close range coyotes if one sneaks in on me.  Is there any good options...possibly a 4-16 power.

I'm also interested in the side focus scopes since it seemingly would be nice for adjusting yardages.  Is there any drawbacks to the side focus?

The price range I'm working with is approx.$300 to $550.  I would like to stay to the lower end of the range but I don't want to put a scope on the rifle that won't do it justice.

Thanks

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 12:46
You will want something along the lines of a 1.5 to a 2.5 on the low end of the mag range for 'yotes. A good heavy reticle like a 4a German, or illuminated. Since you are also talking about Pdogs shooting, I would suggest a ballistic reticle. So now we are looking at a scope that will need at least a 10 on the high end, and still be useful for predators. This is a hard bill to fill. Compromise is the name in this game. You could just get a decent scope with a ballistic hold over reticle, and scope rings that will allow for the addition of a red dot CQB sight to sit atop the scope. This is probably the best way to address all intended applications. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 12:50
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 13:09

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 13:15
One thing about trying to use the side focus for range finding. Don't expect that to work. Eye sight and focus will have an affect on the marked ranges on the side focus wheel. For this reason many manufacturers no longer mark out the ranges in numbers there. Learn to use a reticle and the subtensions for estiamting range, or get a range finder.

Cyborg
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 13:54
Welcome to the OT.  Your got a WS6 TA?  They are a blast

Anther possibility is Sightron

Hunters Holdover   Reticle Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
Stock # - SIIB31242HHR
  • Matte
  • Hunter Holdover Reticle
  • 1"
$559.95

Its 3-12.  Like the low end for yotes.  When I shoot p-dogs don't get over 12x much.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
ws6guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ws6guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2010 at 12:15
SD dog, I have a 02 TA WS6.  It's a fun car but I don't get enough time to drive it much.

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions.  It seems that there is going to be compromise no matter what.  But what do you guys think about this scope.  It seems that this might be a pretty good match for my intended uses.  I've never even seen a Weaver in person before...are they worth the money?

Weaver 3-15x42 Super Slam   Rifle Scope EBX Glass Etched Weaver 3-15x42 Super Slam Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800335
  • Matte
  • EBX Glass Etched
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Mail-In Coupon for a Free Canvas Gear Bag (Valued at $125)

Is the EBC reticle pretty good or would I be better off with the dual X?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2010 at 12:22
Weaver is a good scope. The reticle is a matter of application and preference. I prefer glass etched that allow for hold over myself, to eliminate knob turning as much as I can get away with. You get a chance for a longer shot quicker when you don't have to twist a knob. I am not a fan of 1 inch tubes for varmint, target, or tactical use. Distances may require adjustment ranges beyond what a 1 inch tube can give. So again it's a matter of application, and preference.

Cyborg
ws6guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ws6guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2010 at 17:05
I know what your saying about the 1" tube.  I was hoping to stick with a 1" since I already have 1" mount/rings.  But I can always get another mount too.

I'm going to keep looking to see what else I can come up with.
ws6guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ws6guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 07:26
I think I found the scope.  It's a little over my price range but I think the versatility will be worth it.  Since the zoom range is quite large and the focus is supposed to go down to 15yds.  Those of you have have used the DOA recticle how do you like it?  It appears that it may be a little large for p-dogs but I don't see myself doing alot of P-dog shooting so I think it may be alright for me.

Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite   6500 30mm Rifle Scope DOA 600 Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 652164B
  • Matte
  • DOA 600
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Rainguard
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)

ws6guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ws6guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 07:29
I've also noticed lower prices on the ebay for this scope.  Are there any fake Bushnells out there I need to watch out for.  I usually don't like to buy items like this off ebay but if I can save a decent amount of money I might try it.  Will Bushnell honor their warranty if purchased from non-dealers?

Thanks
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 09:13
There are some fakes out there. Usually the cheaper series Bushnell's though. My best advice is buy with confidence from a reputable dealer. This way there's no question that will nag you.

Cyborg
Zhurh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zhurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 12:28
Over the summer, my daughter has been shooting the old preban 223 with a $250 Leupold Ar scope and getting pretty good at it.  Our subsistence caribou hunt starts in a couple weeks and she wants to kill some caribou, unreal. I wanted the boy to help me out, but he wants to go back to school a couple weeks early; funny to have the girl interested now.

So, I bought her a stagg 6.8 spc standard M4 model with collapsible buttstock.  So I got to order a leupold scope pretty quick. I always buy leupolds cause they are so heavy duty & never had to send one back like so many other scopes. We live rural, 500 miles from nearest sportsmans warehouse or any gun shops; can't just get in truck and go compare them. Will be using for road hunting caribou, no shots over 300 yards and for shooting on fly on the river off snowmachine  at lynx & occasional wolf.

So I want to get VX-3 illuminated.  They have a 1.5X5X20 and a 3.5X10X50; both illuminated.  The 50 mm will fit with high rings.  If they made the 2.5X8 illuminated, I'd be happy camper They make a 2.5X8X36 but not Illum.   Custom shop says 6-8 weeks, not an option.  Then I could always use the 3.5X10X50 on another gun in a few years, but when you spend over $500 on a scope you want something you can use on any gun also. Then I get to thinking just get the 1.5X5X20 and keep it on the 6.8. Which Leupold would ya order?
prkrgrp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prkrgrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 19:25
i love the new nikon varmint coyote special bdc ret ard and almost 100% light transmission under low light conditions this is a varmint scope only so if your going to shoot match or target it won't work well.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 19:29
It seems like people are really excited about the new VX-R Leupolds, you might want to check them out.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-R-Riflescopes-C3458.aspx
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic