OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A Good Deal???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Good Deal???
    Posted: July/21/2010 at 05:37
Hi everyone! It's the Apostle here...just call me Big Al Wink.

Anyway, just giving you an update on whats happening with me. I still haven't got that Savage Mark II BTVLSS yet as the shop I was getting it from got shut down by the Police Thumbs Down. Today I got my refund from them and I went to another shop and paid for it there in cash and I should DEFINITELY get it in 7-10 days! I got it for the rather pleasing price of $700 (shop will throw in some free ammo when I pick it up).

Anyway, while I was in the shop I start chatting with the sales guy and I mentioned that after getting the Savage my next gun would be either a L-Hed CZ527 or a L-Hed Remington SPS Varmint. I said to him that if I ever get the SPS-V my goal eventually was to put a HS Precision stock on it. The owner of the shop must of overheard me as he quickly dived out to the back of the shop and came back with a dusty, dirty and slightly damaged box that had "Remington" written on top. He puts it down on the counter and opens it up and mentions its a Remington 700 VSF in .223 Rem thats supposedly a superceded model. It's got a HS Precision varmint stock, coloured in (monkey sh*t) brown with black spiderwebs and a blued, fluted varmint barrel (26"?). And the best part is that it's LEFT HANDED!!!

He says that someone ordered it 2 years back and backed out of the deal. On the box the price tag was, IIRC, $2080. Asks me if i'm interested...(what do you think!?!? Bucky). He said he'll give it to me at a special price of $1580 as he just can't sell it (he mentioned $1800 briefly). Right now my head is spinning and thinking a thousand different things. I sort of say no as i'm $700 short right now. Then I said that i'll only take it if I can put it on lay-by and pay it off over 10 weeks. The owner said "deal"!!! and he's not too fussed as I just handed over $700 cash and i'll pay it off sooner than 10 weeks as i'll want it ASAP.

So, what do you you think of that deal??? Wink (FYI, a L-Hed SPS-V is $1400 Australian and a Remington 700 CDL L-Hed is $1900 Australian over here).

Anyone got this model or know anything about it???

Oh, and I haven't shot that CZ452 yet (slacker!) cos i'm waiting for my Savage so I can do a shoot off between them to find the most accurate. Stay tuned for that one!

Alan.

Edited by The Apostle - July/21/2010 at 05:38
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 05:48
(after a quick Google search) It's this one:

Edited by The Apostle - July/21/2010 at 05:49
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 06:41
Just had a further look on Google and it seems there a lot of left handers out there of this model...

Anyone know what the barrel twist rate is???
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 08:21
I have it's twin in a .17
I'm classic shag nasty type.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 11:26
I believe the twist rate is 1/12.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 12:13
Sounds like you did well.  Most of the VSFs are shooters.  I had one in .308 and it shot very well for me. (it has been rebarreled since then) I had many groups at .5 moa, even at 600 yards.  I had to get my stock bedded to the action to wring out the best accuracy, but it was a fine rifle.  Congrats.

I aggree that it is probably 1-12"  Should shoot up to 55 grain bullets pretty well. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 12:33
Sure hope she's a shooter!!!  From the sounds of it you could have probably taqlked him lower!  Don't blame you for jumping on it though!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2010 at 19:34
I have one in 22-250 and love it.  Great shooter!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 05:05

8 Shots has one of these too.

It's kind of funny how i've come to get this rifle as it's exactly what I wanted when I started this thread: http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=22305

Now for the scope...
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 06:28
The way it's going i'll have it paid off by the 2nd week of August! Big Grin
T191032 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T191032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 07:34
Alan,

Seems like the Moons aligned and two forces met at the right time there.  Yea, you probably got a good deal.   With no idea how much he paid for the Remington 2 yrs ago, he's probably covering his cost with a minimal profit (people say guns appreciate in value, until you go to sell one . . . and no one will meet your price, in my experience :(  ) still, getting a Left-handed model similiar to what you were looking for almost by fluke, hey you can't complain too much.  LOL
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it'll do.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 08:01
Congrats on your score,if you want the dope on the rifle give remmy a call with the serial #.I have a 700 police .223 & it is 1 in 9 twist!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic