OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Diamondback vs. Older Vari-X III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Diamondback vs. Older Vari-X III
    Posted: July/20/2010 at 09:32
I have been hearing good things about the Vortex Diamondback and Viper (out of my price range) lines of scopes.  I have a question for the gurus on this board.  How would the Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40 or 2x7x35 compare to a 10-15 year old 2.5x8x36 Leupold Vari-X III (it does have Multi-Coat IV)?  Looking to mount one of these on a Browning Micro Medallion 7mm-08.  There is no where around where I live to look at the Vortex models.  I like the Leupy and can get a good price on this particular used one.  But, the Vortex would be a slightly less expensive option and brand new too.  Thanks in advance.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 09:47
I would not hesitate on the vortex another second.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 10:43
Even if that old- technology Leupold Vari-X III were brand new, the Diamondback would likely surpass it in several ways, most notably optical quality and repeatability of the turrets.

The Var-X III's were good old scopes... key word is old.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 11:00
Get the Vortex... A superior scope backed by an outstanding company.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 11:03
I don't have much in the way of input as to what to buy one to the other.

But I can tell you that if the deal was good enough that you decide on the Leupold. Old should not be much of a factor.

That is if the body etc. are in good shape Leupold will at no cost rework the innards and put the scope back in new condition. This with a turn around of two weeks or less in most cases according to their tech department.  WOW
Enough is to much.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 11:18
A have shot the rifle it is currently on (belongs to a friend) and it is in excellent condition.  My friend wants $250 (firm) for it used with box and all papers.  I looked on the auction sites and they typically sell between $235 and $285 depending on condition.  Both the Diamondback models are available for less than $200 before shipping.  I have some other Leupy's that are of comparable age and still use them regularly.  But, if I can get a superior product for less $$$ I'd much rather do that.  And I agree that Leupolds CS is fantastic. Excellent
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 11:54
I'd rather have the Diamondback. I'm not at all a fan of anything Leupold that I've used so far, and that's not an outstanding price. If that one was $100-150 I'd say buy it, but for $250 I wouldn't buy it. 
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 12:14
Granted that Leup has great CS but I'm willing to bet that Vortex has BETTER CS!  The fact that two of Vortex's top guys joined this forum and regularly answer questions is a huge testiment to Vortex's business and CS philosophy!  It is extremely clear that they want to hear feedback good or bad and they LISTEN to what you say and want!  Leup does NOT listen and are pretty arrogant in their pricing!

GO Vortex!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 13:33
 Magshooter1,
 If your going to spend $250 why not save just a bit more and get the 2-7x32 Viper? I got one to my door from SWFA for $274.16. It replaces a VXIII 1.75-6x32 I had and TO ME is a better scope.  Vari-XIII's are nice scopes(I have a 3.5-10x40AO)but they are behind in the newer optics technologies.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 21:23
i got to spend 2 weeks a while back testing out a 3x9 vortex diamondback, for the price i was certainly impressed, it was imo... not to far behind the nikon monarch ucc's. they are nice scopes especially when the price is taken into consideration.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 08:06
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i got to spend 2 weeks a while back testing out a 3x9 vortex diamondback, for the price i was certainly impressed, it was imo... not to far behind the nikon monarch ucc's. they are nice scopes especially when the price is taken into consideration.

So do you think it would be equal to or better than the older Vari-X III in question?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 20:27
ive never really spent a lot of time with the varixIII's  ive used 1 in my life, and it was on another persons rifle and all i did was look through it at the range. it wasnt anything to write home about, i would say the vortex is in the ball park with the leupold in question. i would need more time to compare them to give a firm answer, i dont really feel comfortable at this point with giving a firm answer.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2010 at 00:37

The only reason I have 2 Leupold VX-III s is the choice of reticle. The resolution is not very good. I can read a speed limit sign at over 1050 yards with a 42 year old 3-9 Weaver.  I can't read with either of my 3 year old 4.5-14 long range VX-IIIs. That is a long ways behind in optical technology in my book.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2010 at 13:17
Leupold has only recently upgraded their glass in their scope lines. This is because so many have surpassed them in optical quality, that they could no longer justify the prices for their products. Newer scopes like the Vortex lines in question, certainly are a step up when compared to most of the older Leupolds.

The older VX III series were very serviceable scopes mind you. Better than the Vari X III scopes which are what you are asking about here. Yes the Vortex will be better than the Vari X III model Leupolds. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 20:50
These vortex scopes may be good ones but where im from we trust Leupold. And no one will ever convince me that a vortex or whatever is half as tough and well constructed as a Leupold. Optically i wont argue with you at all because im fully aware Leupold is behind in this category.Bet it aint all about optics. Heck the clearest scope on earth aint worth nothing if it gets off zero evertime you bump it. im not knocking these vortex scopes by any means but untill they start showing up in gun shops around here and ppl start buying them that are rough as we are on equipment as we are and can contest to their durability then i might would try one.     
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 20:58
Originally posted by jgm1981 jgm1981 wrote:

These vortex scopes may be good ones but where im from we trust Leupold. And no one will ever convince me that a vortex or whatever is half as tough and well constructed as a Leupold. Optically i wont argue with you at all because im fully aware Leupold is behind in this category.Bet it aint all about optics. Heck the clearest scope on earth aint worth nothing if it gets off zero evertime you bump it. im not knocking these vortex scopes by any means but untill they start showing up in gun shops around here and ppl start buying them that are rough as we are on equipment as we are and can contest to their durability then i might would try one.     

ive got a vortex on my .375H&H now, no issues, ive put it on my .300wby as well no issues. ive broke several leupolds with my .300win mag. just because a group of stores doesnt carry a particular product line doesnt mean its not worth considering. you are one of the types of customers leupold loves. you bleed leupold gold and i imagine your undershorts have a gold ring around them too. its a scope man you shouldnt have be married to one brand. vortex tests their scopes to extremely violent levels. .338 lapuas .50bmgs etc. i hate to call you out on this but in this case you obviously know nothing about vortex scopes that comes from first hand experience. you need to try it before you knock it.

rant off.Big Grin
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 21:26
Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 21:32

Hello Sir,
        I totally understand where you are coming from. It is hard to judge a scope if you have not used one or have a close friend with one. So let me make you an offer. Get a hold of me at sparks@vortexoptics.com.  I would like to offer you the chance to use one of our scopes. Now I cant just send you one for free, but what I can do is send you one at SWFA's price and if you dont care for it or even if you do like it and just dont need another scope at this time you can send it back on our dime and we will issue you a full refund.I will also make sure that I credit SWFA for this sale if you decide to keep it. This way the guys out by you and including you will  be able to see one of our scopes first hand.

Sincerely
Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 21:51
Now that is a confident company.

Excellent.

Scott, I am going to beat up that Viper 2-7 I ordered on a .338 Tikka.  I'll post under the Member's Review Section after torture testing.  I will also tell all my friends.Wink
-Matt
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 22:06

I feel the same way about Elite 4200's. I've owned plenty of Leupold's and while they are good scopes, no one will convince me that they are as tough as the Elite 4200's. The only thing that Leupold offers over the Elite is the availability of reticle choices and turret options if you're into that sort of thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic