OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 whisper AR for night hog hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 09:38
ok, got it. you are right. for supersonic use, the needs are a little more relaxed. I will be shooting supersonic before I go sub. Well I guess I could shoot either, but without the can, it really makes no since to shoot sub. If I use my DMS1 now, I can save up for the right scope for later. It will just be part of the whole cost of getting a suppressor.

Even though the accupoint 3-9x40 is almost the right scope, it still lacks a ffp illum reticle. As Rancid Coolaid has stated the IOR seems to be the only thing that fits the bill. A ss3-9x42 would work if they came out with illum reticle. The trijicon would make an awesome all around scope for deer and hog hunting as long as I stick with supersonic. That is what I will be doing now, but I might as well save those funds and put them toward the IOR.

Thanks Rancid coolaid (first name?) for all the help and explanations, and all the other posters who have contributed. This why I come here to get good info.

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 09:56
Ive been following this post because anything dealing with hog hunting gets my attention. I finally get what your wanting to do. I have zero knowlege of the 300 whisper but it seems to me that at sub sonic speeds that bullet will drop pretty fast which is why you want Mil dot, BDC  or target turrets. Adjusting target turrets might be the way to go, I dont think you will be able to see mil dot or bdc marks through the scope at night. I for sure cant see anything except the center reticle, or dot in the case of my Trijicon. I dont have your eyes so I could be wrong but either way, it would be tough. I can see why you want the "silent" bullet if your taking down multiple pigs in one group. Im usually only after boars which are by themselves most of the time, so thankfully, I dont have your dilemna. If I were you, I would just try to get close enough that i didnt need to worry about bullet drop. They arent that hard to sneak up on at night if you have the wind in your face. I tried to add a pic to this post but cant figure out how to do it. Thinks its because I dont have enough posts.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 11:38
Originally posted by mfilippello mfilippello wrote:

As Rancid Coolaid has stated the IOR seems to be the only thing that fits the bill.

Check your fire!

At no time did I say IOR was the "only" fit, there are others, but IOR is what I found fit my needs best (I shoot only subsonic for now, moving to supersonic - which is far easier.)

All my remarks are geared toward the eventual subsonic usage - as that is the real value of a 300 Whisper for hogs.

An SFP scope (like the Trijicon) will work, you just gotta be aware of power setting.  I have a 5.5-20 on a hog gun and it works great, mil dot for bullet drop if I don't want to click it in.

There are many, many options (USO, Nightforce, S&B, Horus, etc); my purpose was to tell you what I did and why.  You might have an entirely different set of circumstances and thus need something else.

The IOR is a great fit (can't see the whole reticle, don't need to, sit 100 yards out and wait for the horde to arrive.  Stupid to be stalking in the woods at night, pigs can't see well, but they don't need to see you to kill you) but there are other fits.  I highly recommend my setup for subsonic 300 Whisper work, but others will recommend others and they'll have reasons.

Another consideration can be the 3-9SS with a laser designator.  Don't shine it in their faces and pigs don't mind the light.  I run mine fairly diffuse now (not focused on a really small spot but spread over a few feet at 100 yards), works great, no illuminated reticle needed.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 13:41
ok, didn't mean to say only thing. however, from all my searching, it is actually the least expensive option that features ffp, illuminated reticle and is light weight with target turrets.  I sure there are others but USO, Night force, S&B, are all out of my price range. The ior seems to be the least expensive scope that has those features. I think there were some barska's, but that is a little below budget. Smile The SS 3-9x42 fits the bill as well as mentioned just without the Illum. I was thinkng of getting a ND# so maybe this might still be an option. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth but you seem to have a good grasp of what out there. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 20:39
No problem, just wanted to be sure it was clear that other options are available, but yea, all other good options are allot more $$.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 17:13
I use a .300 Whisper with an 8" barrel, adjustable gas block, side-charging (ASA upper).  Love that little gun.  Unfortunately I can't use a suppressor on it to hunt in FL (stupid rule), though I have one (wink wink).

I am currently using either an Aimpoint Micro, or a Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5x24 with illuminated #4 german reticle on it.  I do subsonic, and honestly I can't imagine needing anything more than 4.5x magnification.

When I was hunting large game in Africa at distances of 75 yards-200 yards, I never took my Zeiss Conquest off 4x and did just fine.  I only opened it up to 9x for the 500+ yard baboon shots.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic