OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shots with a 1.5-4x24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shots with a 1.5-4x24
    Posted: July/19/2010 at 14:28
Whats the longest shot you would take with thi scope at 4 power.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 14:44
It would depend upon what I was shooting at.  If its a varmint or a yote or steel target I have no problem shooting 500 to 700 yards with my 4x on my AR.  It has a BDC that is pretty close. 

If it were big game that it was very important I made a clean hit it would be much less.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 14:46
Depends on the target.    Much easier to hit a building than a fly.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 14:52

I would be hunting deer, moose and bear in Akaska.  Also how would it be for zeroing at 100 yards?

YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 14:55
My last Scope was 3.5-12x44.  It seemed I was always set on about 6 power. It seemed like plenty.  Although I would dial up sometimes for certain shots
Steve
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 14:58
Why not a 2-7x then.  Pretty much the same bottom end, but a nice jump on the top end.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 15:01
2-7x in what brand?  Hopefully something in at least Zeiss Conquest quality or better with a #4 reticle.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 15:03
Just saw your other topic.  If low light it your biggest need then I would go with the Trijicon all the way.  If you don't feel like 1-4x is quite enough, jump to the 3-9x.  They are fantastic scopes IMO.  Great optics and the illumination is awesome.  

YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 15:10
Thanks for the help supertool73.

Cheers,
Steve
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 15:24
I have the Trijicon  3-9 and the 2.5-10; the 2.5-10 is noticeably brighter, and noticeably larger!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 15:26

I personally would be comfortable with shots at 200yds with 4x.  After that, I think I'd like a little more magnification.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
JeffO View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 15:34
FWIW, I have a COnquest 1.8-5.5x38mm on my .358, and I shoot it out to 400 yards running an elevation turret.  Works fine.  4x is plenty for "utility" shooting out to 400 yds IMHO.

But you will WANT more <grin>.

If you can find one, consider the scope I mention above.  It has fantastic low light performance for the money.  It is better than my 3-9 Conquests in that regard, and hangs right with my Swaro AV 3-10x42.

It is a BIG SCOPE though so be advised.

Gotta get my eyeballs on one of them Trijicons.....
Nothing is exactly as it seems
Nor is it otherwise
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 22:05

+1. Conquest 3-9 or 3.5-10x50

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 23:05
Im a big fan of the Trijicon scopes and I think the 1-4 would be very useful out to about 400 yds max and best used under 200.  I prefer the triangle to the #4 but others have different tastes.  I use a 1.5x amber triangle TA442 and get sub moa groups at 300 yds with my rifle sighted at 300 yds. Working off the point of the triangle is a very precise aiming point. I find the amber washes out when pointed toward street lights at night.  The red and green are probably better color choices and green will appear the brightes to the eye.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 06:12
JeffO +1 4x is adequate on hog or deer sized game out to 350-400 yds on most non mag calibers just sight in 2-3 inches high at 100 and shoot at fur out to 300 yds. At 400 you s/b about 2ft low. I have shot several groundhogs with a 4x at those ranges. What I don't think people think about enough when talking about long range shooting while hunting is the lack of a steady rest under most hunting conditions and the disconcerting wobble factor at higher magnifications when you don't have a solid rest. The 4x to me is a good compromise on this subject IMHO.
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 12:03
powerburn,

You have a good point.  Almost all my shooting will 50 to 250 yards on large game  The exception would be an angry brown bear that I might happen into, up close and personal.   My gun is also limited to the range I like to shoot as well. So a 1-4 might be just fine,  1-6 would be even better. Then I could be talking a big increase money for the scope I want.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 12:08

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 12:16
The answer is going to be determined by each individual based upon their own eyesight. If you can see well at 150 yards for most shooting applications, then theoretically speaking a 4X can work well for you out to 600 yards. If you are having a difficult time seeing at 50 yards then it will be 200 yards tops. Add into this the quality of the glass. If the glass is very good, and a good reticle as well. a 4x will be fine for most big game applications, and typical cartridge ranges.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic