OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ziess Diavari

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ziess Diavari
    Posted: July/18/2010 at 15:03
I recently bought a Ziess Diavari 3x9x36.  I am happy with the clearity and it is  nice and light.  But I mounted it on a 25-06  and I am worried about the 36mm objective lense loosing light at dusk and dawn.    I have heard that the better the lense the more light it will gather.  I have never hunted with a Zeiss with 36 mm any idea of how much more light I would get or time I could hunt with say a good 42 mm or 50 mm scope?  Thanks any input will help. 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2010 at 16:38
Is it an MC or T?, either way I think you'll be fine.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
little cleo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2010 at 23:02
I think without out looking its a MC  but i will look what is the difference.  thanks for the info
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 04:17
never saw that particular zeiss scope but not many zeiss scopes have problems with lowlight FWIW
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 04:42

As long as you keep magnification at 5x-6x you will have near maximum light transmission and all you should need.  If you really need higher magnification, it will be OK, but you probably should have gotten closer... You will find that scope just fine for what you need, I think  I had a 2.5-8x36 Leupold, which has fairly noticibly inferior glass, and it was fine for hunting in all legal hunting hours. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 07:20
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

As long as you keep magnification at 5x-6x you will have near maximum light transmission and all you should need.  If you really need higher magnification, it will be OK, but you probably should have gotten closer... You will find that scope just fine for what you need, I think  I had a 2.5-8x36 Leupold, which has fairly noticibly inferior glass, and it was fine for hunting in all legal hunting hours. 

You should have no issues. Good luck.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 23:27
  Thanks guys for all the info.  I really like the way the gun feels with a light scope and low profile mount.
jay 22/250 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay 22/250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 09:04

alot of it depends on the glass not just the size as im sure you no. a cheap 6x20x56 scope you would think would be better in low light the a low mag scope.

but if the optics are not up to it then it wont. i would perfer to have  a lower mag and lens scope of good make like zeiss. then any cheap big make ,lens scope.

winchester 22/250 stealth,zeiss victory 6x24x56 scope,ase mod,jewell trigger
tikka m595 222,ase mod,ziess conquest 6.5x24x50 scope.
annie 1417 22lr,logun mod,4x24 fixed mag scope
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 19:31
The Zeiss Diavari scopes are/were made both in the US and in Germany prior to the introduction of the Conquest line.  The scopes that are marked "MC" are assembled in the US from German made lenses.  The scopes marked "T" are made in Germany.  I have owned both the Diavari MC and T marked Diavari scopes and from the standpoint of performance could not tell any difference between them.  The MC marked scopes sold for a lower retail price during the time because they were being assembled in the US with lower labor rates than Germany.  The MC scopes had the same quality lens glass as the T scopes in the Diavari line did, if that matters to you.

I seriously doubt that you will see much difference between a 36 mm objective lens and a 50 mm objective lens with a 1 inch tubed scope.  The only difference that you might see is the fact that at 36mm, your scope has a 4mm exit pupil (36mm/9=4mm).  This only makes a difference if the iris in your eye is still young enough to open up to 6mm.  If you are over 40, chances are that it will not matter.  The 3-9x36 Zeiss Diavari is a very capable scope that has very good optical perforformance, even at dusk and dawn.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - July/23/2010 at 19:47
CDR3
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 23:14
I need to do my self a test but can't do it here  because I'm in the city and there is way to much light from everything to get a good comparison.  But I will when I go to our cabin and everything calms down the fall after Labor day.  Thanks agian you guys really boosted my confidence.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 23:54
The Ziess Diavari is one of only a couple that will give you the best low light performance in any objective size. From my research 40mm gives max light transmission for a 1in. tube. Anything over 40mm isn't going to add or benefit L/T. 30mm tubes get max L/T from a 44mm obj. Objectives above 50mm haven't proven to improve L/T to any measurable degree for any scope brand. Koshkin is one of the best I know of for overall knowledge on scope comparison and the benefit or the lack of it concerning tube and obj. variables.

To put it simply, the Diavari is the only "affordable" scope that you could get away with low light performance under a 40mm obj. on a 1in. tube. You did good. Happy huntin!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
jay 22/250 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay 22/250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 16:57
ther eis a big difference in the conquest glass to the victory glass. it has some sort of different coating on it. that swhat a guy who works at the local zeiss dealer said.

in my eyes in last light the conquest fades that bit more then the victory
winchester 22/250 stealth,zeiss victory 6x24x56 scope,ase mod,jewell trigger
tikka m595 222,ase mod,ziess conquest 6.5x24x50 scope.
annie 1417 22lr,logun mod,4x24 fixed mag scope
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 18:09
I would guess that it is more than just coating technology.  The Victory sells for $1500 more than the Conquest, across the board.  I am aware of entirely different sources of glass between the scope lines.  My guess is that glass, precision of lenses and coatings are all different between the two lines.
CDR3
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 19:14
I sold my 3-9x42 diavari and am now hunting with a 3.5-10x44 Conquest. And while I will admit there is a slight difference...........I will not say there is anything earth shattering  gained IMHO and for the money, I was glad to upgrade from a tikka t3 lite  to a Cooper Excalibur w/ the extra cash. I still have a great set up for legal low light hunting(I am not hunting at midnight). The Diavari 3-9x36 should be fine at legal shooting hours !

Edited by cbm - July/25/2010 at 19:15
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic