OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I can't help it I like Leupold!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 13:57
Don't do it.  I have bought two Leupolds over the years because at the time they both seemed to fit my need.  But I just don't care to use them that much because of how crappy they are in low light.  Unless they make some big changes, I will never buy one again.

I think I am in agreement with 1911man, for hunting scopes Trijicons are the way to go. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 16:52
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Don't do it.  I have bought two Leupolds over the years because at the time they both seemed to fit my need.  But I just don't care to use them that much because of how crappy they are in low light.  Unless they make some big changes, I will never buy one again.

I think I am in agreement with 1911man, for hunting scopes Trijicons are the way to go. 

I know they are hard to pass up. I like everything about them except that they don't offer the German #4 retical. I have talked to one of their techs by phone and they tell me that they may be offering more considerations in the near future. 
Enough is to much.
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 15:03
The only thing i like about the leupolds is the alumina flip up caps. Other than that i really don´t think they fit in their price range. I own a last generation VX-III (a few months after i bought it the VX-3´s came out) and it´s not really impressing. My monarchs have better optics and i really like the 4x feature. The eye relief is also very consistent compared to the leupold. You practically don´t need to move your face when changing magnification. The only thing a hate about the monarch are the flip up caps. They seem to be very low quality. Aluminas are far better (of course they cost a lot of money). 
The only thing i can´t talk about the monarchs is the tracking reliability. Haven´t tried it, need to make a few tests.
I´m giving Vortex Viper a try, let´s see how that goes (changing one of my monarchs for a Viper, really hate to loose the 4x feature).
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 15:08
I sent 4 or 5 emails to leupold just asking if they were using chineese parts and never recived an answer.
After the 6th email they said "All leupold scopes are assembled in the USA" which doesn´t answer my direct question.

I really hated they couldn´t give me a straight answer. 
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 21:59
I will argue with anyone on here with the durability of a Leupold. My good friend i hunt with dropped his T/C 7mag on of his tree stand from about 15 feet. We took it home and set it in the led sled and the scope was still within 1inch and a half MOA at 100 yards. And this was the Rifleman, Leupold entry level scope. Ive been rough on my old vari x 2c for years and it still hangs in these. Now optically im not gonna argue you can flat get a clearer scope for less money. I do believe this is changing when the vx 3 series came out. IMO Lets just keep this in mind guys. We love buying American right?? Well these things are made in the good old US of A and its a sure thing that your covered if anything goes wrong. And that means a lot to me. I respect other brands and what they have to offer. But ive yet to hear of another company that has your back like these guys do. I also hear that Vortex has great customer service. Im gonna try and give them some business some day soon also.     
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 22:01
Hi REP. You're probably sorted by now but I'll throw my comments into the mix...

One thing Leupold does better than most scopes is their non-critical eye positioning, or forgiving eyebox as some call it. The ability to pick up your rifle and with not even having it fully set in position to have a clear full picture through the scope. Sightron is horrible at that (image blinks out at the slightest off center head positioning) and my Zeiss Conquest is pretty good, but my Leupy VX-II was the best.  Leupy can't compete with Zeiss for glass however.

Now if you want great glass without spending a fortune and if you're considering a tactical scope, definitely look at IOR. Unbelievable glass. I don't have a ton of experience but I do own the illuminated 4-14x50 tactical with the exposed knobs linked by Ilya above and it is a solid trouble free piece with a great reticle (MP-8). 

Good luck in your search.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 22:57
Originally posted by jgm1981 jgm1981 wrote:

I will argue with anyone on here with the durability of a Leupold. My good friend i hunt with dropped his T/C 7mag on of his tree stand from about 15 feet. We took it home and set it in the led sled and the scope was still within 1inch and a half MOA at 100 yards. And this was the Rifleman, Leupold entry level scope. Ive been rough on my old vari x 2c for years and it still hangs in these. Now optically im not gonna argue you can flat get a clearer scope for less money. I do believe this is changing when the vx 3 series came out. IMO Lets just keep this in mind guys. We love buying American right?? Well these things are made in the good old US of A and its a sure thing that your covered if anything goes wrong. And that means a lot to me. I respect other brands and what they have to offer. But ive yet to hear of another company that has your back like these guys do. I also hear that Vortex has great customer service. Im gonna try and give them some business some day soon also.     

if you think for one minute that leupolds are "made in the usa" your sadly mistaken.  as far as the toughness of leupolds its your story i guess, the rifleman is hardly a "quality" scope, and its definitely not made in the usa either.i dont buy your story of a 15ft fall like that, unless it landed in a snow drift. not to many scopes would survive a fall like that. ive got a varixII-c 3x9 silver on my .300win mag, and the only reason its still there is because my dad is borrowing it from me.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 23:04
Buy it or not it happened. it landed it landed flat in a pile of brush to be exact. Ive been using them to long. And know to many ppl that have used them even longer. Their tough. As for where their made. I do acknowledge there glass is imported but where do you get not made in the USA? Im not being contrary im just asking. I'm an educated man but not educated on everything so enlighten me. We dont get to many snow drifts here BTW.   
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 23:16
hmm a pile of brush, well thats hardly like landing on a rock or getting rolled over by a horse, or ran over by a 1/2 chevy silverado ( yes a member here did that ) and his rifle died, but his super sniper scope survived.check this out and see what you think about tough scopes. this guy is a good tester.
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15930

as far as i know nobody makes a scope here. the parts all come from foreign country's so all leupold is doing is using "made in the usa" as a marketing scheme, which is pretty much all they have to sell scopes.  they used to make em here, but now im almost betting the tubes are the only thing made here anymore. ive used leupold scopes since the early 80's when i was just old enough to shoot, and scopes have come a long way since then, to bad leupold hasnt changed much but the model names and some "features"
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 00:19
Luppy's have never held any fascination with me. I have never been able to afford one and the ones I have looked through, don't look all that great. If your getting into the $1400 range, if it were my money, I would opt for a NightForce.  
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 07:32
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

hmm a pile of brush, well thats hardly like landing on a rock or getting rolled over by a horse, or ran over by a 1/2 chevy silverado ( yes a member here did that ) and his rifle died, but his super sniper scope survived.check this out and see what you think about tough scopes. this guy is a good tester.

as far as i know nobody makes a scope here. the parts all come from foreign country's so all leupold is doing is using "made in the usa" as a marketing scheme, which is pretty much all they have to sell scopes.  they used to make em here, but now im almost betting the tubes are the only thing made here anymore. ive used leupold scopes since the early 80's when i was just old enough to shoot, and scopes have come a long way since then, to bad leupold hasnt changed much but the model names and some "features"

Pyro quit denying your roots we know you have a gold ring tattooWink
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 08:56
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Pyro quit denying your roots we know you have a gold ring tattooWink

i killed my first elk and first mule deer with leupold scopes, i borrowed my grand dad's m70 30-06 with a varix-II 3x9 and when i bought my own rifle (.300 win mag) i put a silver leupold on it cause back them they had a great silver that matched the browning stainless barrels nicely. i wont deny leupold the fact that many years ago they were just about it as far as scopes go. my grand dad had nothing but leupolds and a few weavers. i  picked up an old m8-12xAO from a friend of mine, those were some of the best leupolds ever made. my dad has most of my grand dads stuff now and those high powered fixed scopes work fine. unfortunately, leupold decided to live on the there own legend and let history carry them. luckily for them people are still buying it, times have changed and plenty of other companies provide more product for less money and are innovating new stuff every year.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 10:29
Excellent HERE HERE!!!

Originally posted by jgm1981 jgm1981 wrote:

Enough is to much.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 12:14
I will agree that Leupold seemed to rest on their laurels and got behind in the technology race to the point they weren't offering a good value for the $ anymore compared to some of their competition.  I think this has been the case during the past decade or so.  However, now I think that has changed with the newest VX-3 series.  I think the VX-3's are totally on par with other good quality mid-range scopes at the same price.  I have several old Leupold Vari-X IIIs that have served me very well over the years.  It isn't my favorite brand by any means, but I don't think they are a bad choice.  I wouldn't pick any of their tactical scopes, as I think there are much better choices in that category, but for a light and compact mid-range hunting scope, I particularly like their 1.5-5X20, 1.75-6X32, and 2.5-8X32 VX-3's.  I really like low to mid range variables.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 12:19
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I will agree that Leupold seemed to rest on their laurels and got behind in the technology race to the point they weren't offering a good value for the $ anymore compared to some of their competition.  I think this has been the case during the past decade or so.  However, now I think that has changed with the newest VX-3 series.  I think the VX-3's are totally on par with other good quality mid-range scopes at the same price.  I have several old Leupold Vari-X IIIs that have served me very well over the years.  It isn't my favorite brand by any means, but I don't think they are a bad choice.  I wouldn't pick any of their tactical scopes, as I think there are much better choices in that category, but for a light and compact mid-range hunting scope, I particularly like their 1.5-5X20, 1.75-6X32, and 2.5-8X32 VX-3's.  I really like low to mid range variables.

the only thing i disagree with you on is the price vs quality issue, for the amount they ask for most  leupolds you could step up a level in optical quality from another brand. take the vxII's for instance, $329 at swfa, you can damn near buy a zeiss conquest for that much. the vx3 for some reason doesnt have that huge price jump, and its somewhat competitive with scopes of similar quality, except the fact that most of the scopes it competes with are cheaper, and just as good if not better optically.

Edited by pyro6999 - August/07/2010 at 12:23
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 12:32
Originally posted by REP REP wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I know they are hard to pass up. I like everything about them except that they don't offer the German #4 retical. I have talked to one of their techs by phone and they tell me that they may be offering more considerations in the near future. 
They do offer it. Maybe not in the particular scope you are looking at though.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 12:56

the only thing i disagree with you on is the price vs quality issue, for the amount they ask for most  leupolds you could step up a level in optical quality from another brand. take the vxII's for instance, $329 at swfa, you can damn near buy a zeiss conquest for that much. the vx3 for some reason doesnt have that huge price jump, and its somewhat competitive with scopes of similar quality, except the fact that most of the scopes it competes with are cheaper, and just as good if not better optically.

Yeah, my comments were basically centered around the VX-3 series, which I think is competitive with Elite 4200, Monarch, Conquest, etc.  I don't care much for their scopes below the VX-3 line.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic