OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advice Needed on Two Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice Needed on Two Scopes
    Posted: July/15/2010 at 23:36
I'm looking for a couple of scopes and am choosing from the following.

Scope choice 1
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42

Scope choice 2
Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 or
Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40

My questions are
I already own a Zeiss Conquest, so I know it is a very good scope. Not seen or used the Nikon Monarch - is it better than the Zeiss ?

I have looked though a Redfield Revolution, and I must say that I was not impressed - not considering all the internet hype on this scope anyway. Just more Leupold over-rating from what I can see. However, I've never looked through a Nikon Buckmasters, so I don't know how it compares.

I appreciate that prices on my two pairs of options are not the same, but they are within 20%, and that is close enough for me. I am just interested in getting the best product from each comparison.

Input appreciated, thanks

PS
My gripe with Leupold - I have owned quite a few over the years, but I always find something better for the same price or less, and the Leupolds have all gone. If they put as much money into R&D, materials, and production technology as they do into marketing hype, then they might turn out a class leading product. I bought a Leupold spotting scope a few years ago and it was the worst piece of crap I've ever looked through.

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 01:19
Sounds like you pretty much know what to do on choice #1 if you are happy with your conquest. Posts here would generally indicate it is the choice over the Nikon. I don't own either however. As to the second pair I might suggest that you read the thread " Inexpensive Scope Comparison" in the members reviews done by Koshkin. It may cause you to change your mind completely and consider some other choices.
jleinum09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 02:53
I would definitely go with the Conquest as your first pick, they are an all around superb scope for the money.  As a second choice i would take the Nikon Monarch, from what i have saw they are a  good scope for the money.  The redfield and buckmaster i would take last.
One Shot, One Kill
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 05:29
The Monarch is a nice scope, but Conquest is a step above it.  The other 2 scopes don't compare to either.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 09:15
I would add a Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40 to your scope #2 choice.  Price is pretty close and IMO it's a better deal.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 09:35
Thanks for all the replies, I did not expect such a response so quickly.

I should have made clear that I was looking for two scopes. One for a 300 Mag and one for a 22 Mag (the cheaper option)

Looks like Nikon Monarch does not measure up to Zeiss Conquest.

I've not heard anything about Vortex - any history on the company ?

A friend let me look through his Konus spotting scope - very nice. Apparently they make cheap scopes too.

Thanks again.
Longarm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 09:44
 I have a 3x12x42 Monarch and it is ok. I have since started buying Bushnell Elite 4200's and I like them a lot better. The Monarch dissapoints me when compared to the Bushnell's. The Zeiss would definately be my pick over nikon. Look into the Bushnell Elite series and you might be surprised at how good they are.
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 10:07
I have several 4200 and 3200 Bushnell Elite scopes, and would agree that they are great. The 4200 does not have fast focus - a disadvantage in my view. Also, they all have eye relief of just 3.3 inches.

Eye relief is a big issue with me because I have a neck injury and can't stretch to get a good sight picture. All my scopes are mounted as far back as they'll go. Eye relief is the first thing I look at on a scope, and I've reached the point where I look for 4", but realize that I must go down to 3.5" to include a good range of scopes. 5" or 6" would be good for me.

Needless to say, on my Elites I do not see a full field of view.

I think the Elite 6500 has longer eye relief, and I am considering the 2.5 - 16 for a 243 varmint rilfe.

The Zeiss Conquest is good in terms of eye relief - the only scope I have (except for a Bushnell Banner long eye relief model) where I see a full field.

Conquest 3-9x40 s a great value right now Big Smile

The Banner long eye relief scope (claimed 6", actually about 4.5) is an excellent value scope in terms of clarity BUT once the sun goes down it just whites out and is absolutely useless. Good scope for plinking in good light.

With my eye relief constraint, choices are limited !

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 11:45
I have both the 3-9 Zeiss and the 2.5-10 Monarch. I like both of them. Each has its +s and - when compared together.
The Zeiss is slightly better in fine definition.
Zeiss reticle in the plex is finer in the center
Etched reticle may be better in low light
Zeiss warranty is better and usually faster
Zeiss has a much larger selection of reticles available.
Zeiss cost more.

The Nikon has a wider field of view
Reticle center is bolder. 
For some reason it seems faster for me to pick up on a snap shot. Probably from the field of view
The Nikon will focus better at close range, Under 25 yds, because of lower power available.
I like the feel of the turrets and ease to dial in on the Nikon over the Conquest.
Nikon Warranty has been good,  but hit or miss in the past.

The Nikon 2.5-10's are mounted on  .17 HMR and on a .22 Mag.
Zeiss 3-9's are mounted on a CDL .243 and on a 700, 300 Win Mag.

If you can use a, Gloss SWFA has the Nikon 2.5-10 marked down to $299 at this time.
The Conquest is the better scope technically. Yet the added power range, wider field of view and lower price point levels the playing field and brings these 2 scopes in close contention to my eye. Both are good choices.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 12:14
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The Monarch is a nice scope, but Conquest is a step above it.  The other 2 scopes don't compare to either.

+1
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 12:28
Nikon makes some slug gun and muzzle loader scopes with 5" eye relief. Probably the same glass as the buckmaster.
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 13:56
Thanks for the continuing info guys, this forum is a great resource. Great comparison 3 tens, that 299 deal is good too - not sure how a gloss scope will look on a matt rifle. Back in the good ol' days all scopes were glossy.

I still have 2 NIB Weaker K4 Steel-Lite II scopes from the early 80s. Not checked to see how they compare to modern scopes, but they were great in their day.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 14:44
For a reasonably priced option for scope #2 to go with the .22 mag, I would probably go with either the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40...
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P6910.aspx
or the Vortex Viper 2-7X32...
http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx
or the Weaver 3-10X40 Grand Slam...
http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-10x40-Grand-Slam-Rifle-Scope-P591.aspx
or the Nikon Team Primos 3-9X40 (which is the previous generation Monarch).

Out of those, I think I would give the nod to the Vortex 2-7X32, as it seems like a good match for the .22 Mag to me, it is light and compact, it has nice optics, I like the C3 reticle, and it's reasonably priced.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 14:52
2nd the 2-7 for the .22 mag.  I over scoped a .22lr with a 6-18.  It was good from the bench, but in actual use, it was not very user friendly.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 16:16
I looked at the Nikon Omega 3-9x40 muzzleloader scope. 5" of eye relief is very attractive feature, but they offer it only with BDC reticle. I'm a duplex guy.

Not consdered some of the other options. Seems like the Vortex scopes have short (3" or so) eye relief. I have a couple of Weaver scopes on rifles, and their eye relief is the same as the Elite, at 3.3".

I think I'll stick to Conquest 3-9x40 on centerfire hunting rifles, upgrade to Elite 6500 2.5-16 on varmint / long range rifles, and just need to decide what will work on the rimfire rifles.

4" + eye relief
7x or 9x as max magnification
Elite 3200 standard glass
Good repeatable and positive adjustments (one thing I noticed on the Redfiedl I looked at was that the adjustments were very mushy)

At this rate I may end up with conquest on the rimfires too - though I could not afford one for each rimfire I own (probably about 15)

I noted that Nikon do a dedicated 4x rimfire scope for about $100. It has 4" eye relief BUT the deal killer is that it is very short, and even though the eye relief is there, the body lenth is not (too short overall). Actually, that is another factor to consider - we really need to concentrate on the distance from the ocular lens to the start of the objectve bell. Now things are getting complicated Big Grin

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 17:29
 Hey Don,
 Not all Vortex scopes have 3" of eye relief. I have one of these on a 9.3x62 and another member has one on his .375 H&H. Ring mounting area is 5 3/8" in length.

Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02P
  • Matte
  • V-Plex
  • 1"
Specifications
Weight (oz): 13

V-Plex

Length (in): 11.3
Eye Relief (in): 4 - 3.7
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 46.7 - 13.4
Exit Pupil (mm): --
MOA: 1/4
Lens Coating: XR Coating
Warranty: Unlimited Transferable Warranty

Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope

$259.95

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 18:50
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

I would add a Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40 to your scope #2 choice.  Price is pretty close and IMO it's a better deal.

no doubt i really liked the diamondback i test drove a while back, i thought it was right in there.
ive got a 2x7x32 with the c3 on my .375H&H and i love it.

Edited by pyro6999 - July/16/2010 at 18:52
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 18:54
Originally posted by DonDavis DonDavis wrote:

I have several 4200 and 3200 Bushnell Elite scopes, and would agree that they are great. The 4200 does not have fast focus - a disadvantage in my view. Also, they all have eye relief of just 3.3 inches.really?? my 3x9 4200 has fast focus.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P6910.aspx
look at the picture in the link towards the eyepiece.

Eye relief is a big issue with me because I have a neck injury and can't stretch to get a good sight picture. All my scopes are mounted as far back as they'll go. Eye relief is the first thing I look at on a scope, and I've reached the point where I look for 4", but realize that I must go down to 3.5" to include a good range of scopes. 5" or 6" would be good for me.

Needless to say, on my Elites I do not see a full field of view.

I think the Elite 6500 has longer eye relief, and I am considering the 2.5 - 16 for a 243 varmint rilfe.

The Zeiss Conquest is good in terms of eye relief - the only scope I have (except for a Bushnell Banner long eye relief model) where I see a full field.

Conquest 3-9x40 s a great value right now Big Smile

The Banner long eye relief scope (claimed 6", actually about 4.5) is an excellent value scope in terms of clarity BUT once the sun goes down it just whites out and is absolutely useless. Good scope for plinking in good light.

With my eye relief constraint, choices are limited !

Edited by pyro6999 - July/16/2010 at 18:56
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 20:18
That Vortex 2-7 looks very nice. Does it have rapid focus too ? It is somehat over what I'd hoped to get away with (about $150 to $200)

The Elite 4200 3-9x40 is somethig of an anomolyin the 4200 range. The only one I know of with a fast focus eyepiece. I think they took the 3200 body, added the 4200 glass quality and then you have a 4200 3-9 with fast focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 20:24
i think you should go look again, pretty much every 4200 has fast focus, if it doesnt have side focus.
here is my 2x7 mounted on my .375H&H notice the fast focus.

Edited by pyro6999 - July/16/2010 at 20:26
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic