OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mossberg 4x4 opinions ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mossberg 4x4 opinions ?
    Posted: July/15/2010 at 13:29

Hey guys, seen a Mossberg 4x4 the other day. Looked interesting. Looked up some magazine reivew(althought i think they tend to padded reviews) but they said it was real shooter for the money. Anybody got one or know anything about them? Kinda curious, might make a good/cheap deer rifle.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 15:11
good ? / cheap...my sentiments exactly. No thanks.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 19:26
I have one in 30-06 with the stainless type finish.It was sold as used but was in new condition at Gander Mountain for $300.I shoot it alot and it is accurate.I have a 3-9x42 S2 Big Sky which matches the finish.The scope cost more than the gun but have no complaints about it.I would rate it with a Remington 770 or Weatherby Vangaurd.I use my 4x4 rifle for everything since the 30-06 is such a versitile cartridge. 
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:27
I looked at them when I bought my Smith and Wesson I-Bolt. I actually read some unfavorable reviews on both, but more on the Mossberg. Seems pretty hit or miss. I like my I-Bolt other than the stock does not make it easy to mount a bipod. It feels a little cheap, but it shoots well.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 22:04
Seen new I-bolts at a retailer for $299 recently ( NIB 30-06 or 270)
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 22:15

Yup, got mine from Bud's online, close out $269 shipped. .30-06  wanted a rifle I could beat up some and not feel guilty. I hunt in some pretty nasty areas so I was more interested in rugged and replaceable than an heirloom quality firearm. 

No issues with mine so far. About 4 boxes of shells through it.

Longarm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 23:13
 Get a Marlin XL7. The Mossberg sucks compared the the Marlin. The Marlin is cheaper but it is better. I don't understand why anyone would buy a Mossberg or a Rem 770 when you could have a better rifle (XL7) for a cheaper price.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:13
Originally posted by Randall45 Randall45 wrote:

I have one in 30-06 with the stainless type finish.It was sold as used but was in new condition at Gander Mountain for $300.I shoot it alot and it is accurate.I have a 3-9x42 S2 Big Sky which matches the finish.The scope cost more than the gun but have no complaints about it.I would rate it with a Remington 770 or Weatherby Vangaurd.I use my 4x4 rifle for everything since the 30-06 is such a versitile cartridge. 

i would hardly compare my wby vanguard with a cheap piece of junk like the 770, mine has a very nice stock and the action is pretty smooth too. the vanguard imo isnt anything to lift your nose at. other than an adjustable trigger the vanguard is a pretty nice package.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:41
 "and the action is pretty smooth too."

Wait until you've cycled yours as much as I have mine.  Talk about smooooooooth!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 16:36

Wait until you've cycled yours as much as I have mine. Talk about smooooooooth!

Sorry man couldn't resist.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 20:03

The Mossberg, the Vanguard, the I bolt, and the Howa are the same barreled actions with diferent stocks.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 20:55
[QUOTE=neilbilly]

Wait until you've cycled yours as much as I have mine. Talk about smooooooooth!

Sorry man couldn't resist.

neilbilly  Whacker 300 S&W
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 22:25
Originally posted by Bigdave Bigdave wrote:

The Mossberg, the Vanguard, the I bolt, and the Howa are the same barreled actions with diferent stocks.

yeah thats like saying that the chevy suburban the gmc yukon xl and the cadillac esclade esv are the same too, they may come from one factory but they arent anything alike. my wby action looks nothing like the i-bolt . if anything the i-bolt and the mossberg are the same.

Edited by pyro6999 - July/29/2010 at 06:20
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 00:25
Originally posted by Bigdave Bigdave wrote:

Mossberg 4x4 bolt w/separate head held w/cross pin:

Smith&Wesson I-Bolt bolt head w/3 lugs:

Vanguard/Howa one piece bolt and head:

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 17:06

Hiding

Wasn't trying to hijack the thread with the I-Bolt. Just mentioned it because I looked at both the Mossberg and the Smith before I bought the Smith. Reading reviews from hunters did it for me. 

Nice post on the different bolts 300

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 22:04
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Hiding

Wasn't trying to hijack the thread with the I-Bolt. Just mentioned it because I looked at both the Mossberg and the Smith before I bought the Smith. Reading reviews from hunters did it for me. 

no biggy bro thats what this place is for, you arent off of subject imo
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2010 at 23:46
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Hiding

no biggy bro thats what this place is for, you arent off of subject imo

Thunbs Up!!!!!
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 22:25
Yes I understand that their are diferences in the rifles and I personaly like the Vanguard / Howa the best. My point was that they are all the same basic action and are all capable of good accuracy, I have seen mossbergs shoot like a 700 sps. I owne a Howa 1500 short action varmiter and love it.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2010 at 22:29
ive got a wby vanguard and a m700, other than the trigger, and the 24" barrel i really like the wby. i dont care for either rifles two position safeties though.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 12:54
I got a Mossberg 4x4 30-06 "package" deal (rifle and scope) from a retailer that had them at closeout. The scope looked like a very low end bushnell 3-9x40; maybe a Banner..but of course had "Mossberg" stamped on it. I sold the scope to a friend that just wanted a scope for his .22LR. 

I think the Mossberg feels like a well built gun even though it was inexpensive. I wouldn't call it "cheap" cause it doesn't feel cheap to me. I have the laminate stock and the barrel has a Maritine coating to resist the elements. This is gonna be my foul weather gun. My Viper 4-12x40 shipped yesterday that I'm gonna put on her. As soon as it comes in and I get her mounted and get to the range I'll let you know my thoughts.--Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic