OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Parallax 75yds - vs 100yds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parallax 75yds - vs 100yds
    Posted: July/15/2010 at 12:19
Hi all,

I've searched and learned that shotgun scopes are generally set for 75 yd parallax while rifle scopes are set for 100yds.  In actuality was does this mean practically? I've yet to find a 'crayola' explanation that 'sticks'.

Say, target is at 100...or 150 even....what would the visual effect be between the two scopes?

Does this mean the target would appear through the scope in a different location than it actually is and I could be shooting at 'air' by a few inches?

Or, is the difference negligible out to a certain point?

Thanks for patience.  The vagaries of rifle optics are still unknown to this noob.

spyder
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 16:20
Here is an older locked thread that covers a lot on Parallax. You can search for others with the search feature.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 16:24
In the scenario you mentioned where low mag powers will be used should not be an issue.  Generally becomes a problem at higher magnification.  Have a look at this site, provides a pretty good explanation.  Can also search our site using "parallax" as a key word.

www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html
God save the Empire!
spyder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 17:53
You guys are gentlemen.

I feel dumber than normal.
As I just logged in I checked the FAQ and found.....'Parallax'.
I'm a trained observer.Bucky

I do appreciate the heads up re: magnification. 
It wouldn't be for anything greater than a 1-4.

Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 00:03
I've had a 1-4 shotgun scope, probably 75 yard parallax, on a rifle for years. Farthest I've shot it is about 175 yards. No problem. Parallax not an issue.

spyder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 20:12
thanks.
I like the circle-x reticle a lot.  Poor man's red-dot.
shotgun scopes seem like and affordable alternative for a 1-4.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2010 at 17:58
Spyder, I have been using a Bushnell Trophy with CircleX, 1.74-4 for a few years now.  Has worked well for me.
God save the Empire!
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2010 at 02:05
Shotgun scopes may be set to be parallax free at anywhere from 50-75yds depending on the brand. 50yds is pretty common so you may want to double check the brand you're looking at and see what their setting is. Generally parallax is usually more of a problem at short ranges and can get really frustrating for a rimfire target shooter handicapped by a fixed focus scope. If you're just using it for hunting at 100-200yds it should be fine. I don't think the critter cares if you're off by a 1/4" or so. If you're after targets and you're serious then yes you could be off the center of the bulls eye a bit. Frankly at that range I wouldn't sweat it too much but you can always invest in an inexpensive rifle scope like a Weaver V3 or V9. Those are set to 100yds and are good scopes.

Edited by sholling - July/18/2010 at 02:10
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2010 at 14:22
I have used low power shotgun scopes on rifles and a WeaverV3 on shotguns and for woods hunting (shots under 150 yards) have had no parrallax problems.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2010 at 14:50
I really like Bushnell shotgun scopes like the Trophy and Banner. The only thing I dont like about them is the coatings. During daytime which is about 95% of the hunting time you use them there is a lot of glare on the lenses. The reflection on the eye piece makes the image very hazy. Now if your in the woods where there is very little sunlight coming through the trees it would be just fine. They have a very comfortable large view.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic