OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weatherby questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weatherby questions
    Posted: July/15/2010 at 07:49
I know virtually zero about Weatherby rifles. I always kind of wanted one, but never aggressively went in that direction. Anyway, I have a friend who just picked up a Mark V Ultra lightweight. It's in a non-Wby chambering (.270), which almost seems "illegal" but it's what he wanted. I think it weighs less than 6 lbs. and the barrel is kind of thin. It's probably good carrying, but I suppose it would heat up quickly. Does anybody own one and (if so) what's your take on these? I kind of like the Accumarks and was looking at one in 7mm Wby but those beasts are HEAVY and rather costly ($1400 +). Any thoughts?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 08:28
 If I EVER find a used Ultra Light in .25-06(only seen one in .30-06) IT WILL come home with me.  I look at them as  kinda of a specialized rifle(like a M70 FWT) in that the thin bbls and light weight aren't meant for quick multiple shots sessions.  Definitely no rifle for wiping out a PD village.  But for a rifle used for hunting on shanks mare they're my choice.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
bberg7794 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 10:15
I bought a Weatherby ML V lightweight sporter a couple of years ago in 7mm-08 and am very happy with it. I went a step further than your friend and bought a short action caliber in the standard length MK V. Most of the standard (Non-Weatherby)calibers are built on the 6-lug lightweight action as is your friends MK V Ultralightweight, but the Ultralightweight has a few more enhancements. Also, the three(?) versions of the MK V Weatherby (6-lug standard, "Varmitmaster" 6-lug, and 9 lug) action are completely different in design than the Weatherby Vanguard (Modified Mauser 2-lug) action. The MK V actions have a 60 degree bolt lift whereas the Vanguard action has a 90 degree bolt lift. Among Weatherby enthusiasts the 9-lug action has a reputation for being a touch smoother in operation than the 6-lug.

My rifle weighs 6 3/4 lbs without a scope and easily shoots 1 1/8" groups with Remington Express and Federal Power-Shok non-premium ammo. Some groups are much smaller-I need to address a forend contact point in the barrel channel that I think will eliminate the inconsistency I am experiencing in group size. I know one person who has a MK V Ultralightweight in 7mm-08 and it is a consistent 3/4" or better shooter with his favorite load. My Lw Sporter weighs 7 3/4 lbs with the VXIII 2.5-8 attached and I really enjoy carrying this rifle. When I was last looking for a new rifle to replace a Remington 660, I compared a Rem 700 BDL short action to the Weatherby Sporter and found the Weatherby had a much nicer feel and balance, even though I thought the short-action Rem with a 22" barrel would. My Lw Sporter is approximately 2 3/4" longer than that BDL. I liked the difference in feel enough to purchase the longer rifle. That particular BDL felt a bit more like holding a 2x4 than a fine rifle to me. I think the biggest deal in deciding whether to get a Weatherby or not is whether the stock fits you. I discovered at a gun show about 6 years ago that the Weatherby (And Rem. BDL type)stocks fit me much better than classic type stocks. I wish I had discovered this about 25 years ago. The trigger is very good and I like the feel of the action better than any of my previous bolt rifles, especially the lack of bolt slop when the action is fully open. I cycle my bolt action rifles at the shoulder and really do not like when a bolt wants to bind as you are beginning to push the bolt forward.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 10:31
The short bolt throw on the Weatherby is fantastic, along with their fit and finish.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 20:22
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

I know virtually zero about Weatherby rifles. I always kind of wanted one, but never aggressively went in that direction. Anyway, I have a friend who just picked up a Mark V Ultra lightweight. It's in a non-Wby chambering (.270), which almost seems "illegal" but it's what he wanted. I think it weighs less than 6 lbs. and the barrel is kind of thin. It's probably good carrying, but I suppose it would heat up quickly. Does anybody own one and (if so) what's your take on these? I kind of like the Accumarks and was looking at one in 7mm Wby but those beasts are HEAVY and rather costly ($1400 +). Any thoughts?

imo ( for what thats worth) i think if you are willing to spend the money for a markV get it in a wby caliber. for $1400 i think you can buy a .270 in a kimber for that. your paying for a lot of name, which is why i bought a vanguard, in a .300wby.

Edited by pyro6999 - July/16/2010 at 20:27
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 22:22
See Avatar ..
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 22:32
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

See Avatar ..

That was a pretty good movie.  Especially in 3D.Bucky
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 06:56
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

See Avatar ..

That was a pretty good movie.  Especially in 3D.Bucky
Thanks!!!!!!
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 07:54
I own an accumark in 300 Wby, a Vanguard Backcountry also in .300 wby, (basically the vanguard version of the ultra lightweight with the #2 contour fluted barrel) and load for an ultralightweight in .257 wby. (110 gr. accubond at 3450 fps!!) My accumark will shoot 1/2 moa pretty consistantly with it's pet loads, but won't shoot a sierra gameking to save it's own life. It is a tick on the heavy side with a rather large scope on it, and harris s-25 bipod. The Vanguard Backcountry is discontinued now, but it will shoot with, or better than my Accumark, but it's only good for about 2 shots before cooling time is needed. If you shoot 3 quick shots, the third will almost always fly about 1/2". The ultralightweight I load for is very similar to my Backcountry, in that it shoots pretty well, at about 3/4 moa, but you won't be taking 5 quick consecutive shots. after about 3 its hot! Of the three rifles I like the Accumark the best. The extra barrel diameter is great at the bench, I don't mind it when I'm hunting, and the weight helps tame the recoil a little bit. The Backcountry only weighs        6 3/4# so it bucks a bit. Not my favorite rifle at the bench. But the next time I go hunting in the hills, it will be going with me.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 12:01
Thanks all. Lotta good info. I'm going to (hopefully) accompany him on his next range visit and see how I like it. May or may not be interested in saving for one. I think I'd likely get a Wby caliber. I'm "intrigued" by the 7mm Wby. for some reason.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 20:14
I had one of the older vanguards with the glossy walnut stocks gloss finish that you could comb your hair in the whole traditional weatherby look. It was a 243 and while I know it was really just a dolled up Howa but that thing would group those little 24 cal bullets in your thumb nail at 100 yds. It was one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned and I was dumb to ever trade it off. I think Weatherby makes a pretty good rifle and if I was looking I would definately consider one of the vanguards again. I have to believe that the mark 5 is a great rifle too. I'm just not a magnum sort of guy . The only Weatherby I have now is an orion O/U.
bberg7794 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2010 at 07:06
There's nothing wrong with a Vanguard at all. It has to be one of the best bargains out there and is a nice refinement of the Mauser action.

The 7mm Weatherby cartridge predated the 7mm Remington by a bunch of years and has a slightly greater powder capacity. The only drawback of the Weatherby may be the cost and local availability of the ammunition. It is certainly one of the most popular Weatherby calibers and for good reason.
quarterbore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Previously Banned Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarterbore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2010 at 12:15
Weatherby makes one silky smooth rifle, no question.  As far as firearms manufacturers go, Wby. is still very small comparatively and while certainly larger than Cooper, I do not see  a lot of full page ads for Wby. rifles.  In addition, I really do not see many of my friends hunting with a Weatherby.  Their list prices look expensive as many rifles do, but can be had at a discount. 
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2012 at 23:05
I shoot a Mk V Ultralight in 25-06 and I'll give you my candid impressions:
I really like:
a) the light weight for carrying over rough country
b) the 60 degree bolt throw... it reloads faster than any bolt rifle I have ever shot
c) very smooth action
d) faster than any other bolt rifle to pull up and on target... almost like the old 30-30
e) good looks... just proud to carry it cause its a nice looking Weatherby
f) the long free bore gives me 100-200 fps of additional velocity without excessive pressure. I can shoot the 25-06 at .257 Wby speeds.

I don't like:
a) the super light barrel walks all over as it heats up. You just can't use it for long range shooting (beyond 300 yards) or varmint hunting. 200 yards is my limit on p-dogs and three is the limit for the day.

b) least accurate rifle I own. I worked for a year to get it around 1 inch. Shimmed fore end, floated barrel, and tried loads, powder, bullets, primers, seating depth, etc. til I was blue in the face. Now first shot is right on every time, second shot wanders 3/4 inch, third shot wanders 1 inch and after that it starts to wander up to three inches at 100 yards.

c) Mark V firing pin design is poor. It screws into the bolt shroud with a ball bearing retainer that just sits on the shroud to prevent the firing pin from turning once installed. It is difficult to remove the bolt shroud without dropping the ball bearing. There is no way to know how far the firing pin protrudes without a micrometer when you assemble it (tough for field repairs/cleaning). The ball bearing is impossible to find in the sagebrush of the prairie, (especially if you are shaking after failing to fire on a giant buck you stalked for two hours). First hunt out from the factory I had six misfires because of insufficient firing pin protrusion (it just kills me to stalk an antelope or deer for half a day and watch them bound away as I fiddle with the rifle and eject loaded rounds on the prairie). Field correction of the problem was even worse. Almost threw it in the lake but have since corrected the problem and learned a lot from Weatherby about firing pin verification.

d) Mark V trigger design is poor. After stalking antelope for just three days it got too dusty and failed to engage the sear one out of ten times. I couldn't repair in the field due to lack of solvent and as a result failed with two hard earned antelope shots. I like to carry my chamber empty but with this rifle, you are rolling the dice with a quick chambering when the game appears. Weatherby gave me a cleaning regimen and solvent and now it only fails one out of three hundred chamberings. I believe I could set the trigger above six pounds and rectify the problem but I'm not sure I could detonate a round accurately at that trigger pull weight.

e) The bolt has a screw on the rear of the bolt that can come loose too easily and when it does, you are finished hunting. Last year my buddy spent three days hiking in and then stalked a trophy Dall sheep for three days.  Somehow, his screw came loose in the hike and when the time came, he discovered that he could not take the shot of his life. Fortunately, his guide had a micro screw driver and they did a field repair but it took him another three days hiking through the mountains to catch up with the sheep.

Bottom line:
Overall, it is the least accurate and most unreliable rifle I have ever shot; and I have shot a lot of them. Yet I am now thankful that I didn't throw it in a lake on one of my hunts. I feel I have learned to control the design issues and I now limit my use to hunting conditions where a light rifle is nice and shots will be relatively close. I don't see any dangerous game in this rifle's future though. 

I know it is not a raving review but it only represents my personal experience. I have have learned to like the rifle enough to keep it but I certainly understand why African PHs grimmace when they see a Mark V.
gremcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 07:17
CDNN had some of the Weatherby's under a grand. they were Mark V's in standard and Weatherby calibers. They had the ultralight but I think in a righty they only had it  in 300 weatherby. That would be a lot to handle in a 6 1/2 pound gun.
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 20:10
Gremcat... you got that right! My 25-06 feels like a 7mm Mag using 100 bullets. I'm not sure I would want to detonate a .300 Wby in one unless I had a chiroprator on retainer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic