OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-3 Series - different features?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiking-76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-3 Series - different features?
    Posted: July/13/2010 at 10:57
hi there,

i'm planning to buy a new Leupold scope.
unfortunately i'm a little bit confused when it comes to the different features.

my favourite would be the VX-3 6.5-20x50mm
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-6-5-20x50mm-long-range-target/

but when i checked the features i just discovered the Index Matched Lens System,
whereas all the other scopes from the VX-3 series offer such fancy things like seen here:
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-4-5-14x40mm/

my question now is:
is my favourite scope indeed the only one from this series, whose lenses (coating, whatever) are inferior to all the others?
or have the guys from leupold just forgotten to update the features on the website?

greetings, Wiking

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 13:25
Welcome to OT, Wiking!

Keep in mind that stuff like "Index Matched Lens System" are just fancy sounding marketing terms Leupold uses.  All decent scopes have "index matched lenses" to some degree.  The same applies to their lens coatings, i.e. "Diamondcoat."  Different optical companies have different marketing terms for their own versions of similar technologies, and these terms change as the scope generations change.  It's marketing hype, a strategy all other companies use to some degree, though Leupold is especially skilled at it. 

All VX-3 scopes have the same glass, coatings, and same general construction.  The only differences are model to model options like reticles, adjustable objective / side focus, different knobs, and different magnification ranges.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Wiking-76 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiking-76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 02:39
Thanks for your answer, Ted!

Would you say, Leupold makes some decent scopes?
I've got no experience with this brand.

At the moment i got a Nikko-Striling Nighteater 6-24x56 and i'm not very satisfied... especially at low light conditions

greetings from austria, Wiking
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 07:17
   +1 on the WELCOME!!

They're BETTER than decent,Wiking.

They're not the equal of top Euro-scopes but still are ALOT of scope.  I think you'd be more than satisfied.

Edited by 300S&W - July/14/2010 at 07:18
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 11:02
Leupold has stepped up to the plate on the VX3 line, I believe its as good as anything in it's price point: Decent optics, good reliability, great C/S, lots of options and good resale value. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Wiking-76 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiking-76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 11:37
thanks for your help, guys.

just ordered the VX-3 6.5-20x50mm and i hope it will fulfill my expectations.
i'll post a short review after testing.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 11:59
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 15:05
Originally posted by Wiking-76 Wiking-76 wrote:

Thanks for your answer, Ted!

Would you say, Leupold makes some decent scopes?
I've got no experience with this brand.

At the moment i got a Nikko-Striling Nighteater 6-24x56 and i'm not very satisfied... especially at low light conditions

greetings from austria, Wiking

They are LIGHT YEARS better than Nikko Stirling scopes!

The new "VX-3" series (not to be confused with their previous "VX-III" and "Vari-X III" generations, which weren't quite as good) are nice scopes.  I think Zeiss Conquest is a bit better for not much more money, but VX-3 is close in my opinion.

However, if you live in Austria, I would look at Kahles, which are even better, though they may be much more expensive there as they are here.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Wiking-76 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiking-76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 16:25
In fact, Kahles-Scopes cost about the same over here, but the price still exceeds my limit for the new scope.

How can i tell, which generation the Leupold is?
According to the product code (66575) it seems to be a "VX-3"...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 16:39
Originally posted by Wiking-76 Wiking-76 wrote:

In fact, Kahles-Scopes cost about the same over here, but the price still exceeds my limit for the new scope.

How can i tell, which generation the Leupold is?
According to the product code (66575) it seems to be a "VX-3"...

Just look for the "3" instead of "III" in the product code.  If it says "VX-3," it's the new and improved version.

Goofy move on Leupold's part to use a product designation that is so similar to previous versions.  The similar model name causes too much confusion.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic