OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Info on the 1-4x24mm Trijicon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glock24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info on the 1-4x24mm Trijicon
    Posted: July/12/2010 at 11:13

I'm taking a hard look at these 1-4x Trijicon Accu-Points for an upcoming AR-15 build.  I'd love to hear from anyone with experience behind these scopes.

What color reticle is best?  Is the crosshair or triangle preferred?  Anyone know if Trijicon has a BDC reticle on the horizon? 

I'm trying to move away from a Nightforce 1-4x with Mil-Dot reticle and toward something with a bigger, brighter, aiming center.  I can loose the NF Mil-Dot easily, even with illumination.  And no, I don't want to just swap out the Mil-Dot for the FC-2 reticle if I can avoid it.

Views through any of these Trijicon reticles would be outstanding!

Thanks in advance.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 11:27

Reticle is personal preference.  The triangle some argue isn't as precise but if you work of the point of the triangle it can be pretty accurate from what I hear.  If you are using it more for fast target acquisition I would recommend it simply because you would have a larger aiming point.  it would depend on what your intentions were for the gun on my pick but for CQB i'd say triangle, for target/hunting crosshair. 

Color is another personal thing.  Some folks pick out other colors better than otheres.  Also depends on if you gonna be mainly using it at night or daylight.  Different ones will stand out better in one light situation than others so keep that in mind.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
huudoo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huudoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 13:51
hi , i got a 3x30 ta33-8 amber chevron and love it...  if you put your hand over the tritium bar
you will loose the color .BUT you have a plain black reticle.. looks cool to me..
her eis a link to some trijicon reticles...

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/OpticsReticles/Trijicon/Trijicon.htm

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 14:28
I really like the Accupoint scopes, and especially the 1-4X24 and 3-9X40 models!

As SVT said, the reticle is a personal choice, as everyone sees things differently.  I personally like Amber and green the best, but a lot depends on how you will use the reticle.  In some situations, i.e. predator or hog hunting at night with a green light, I could see that maybe the green might not contrast against the background enough... maybe (I've never tried it in the field).  Some think the yellow is too bright.  Red will contrast against most anything, but is also the least prominent (to me) during most of the day.  At night or in low light is a different story, though.

I like the triangle reticle the best, unless you need holdovers, where the mil dot would be an advantage or if you want a smaller illuminated dot.  I've found I can aim every bit as precisely with the triangle (and actually more so) by using the very tip, so that hasn't been a handicap for me.  The BAC triangle post is also the fastest reticle choice with the most uncluttered field of view of any of the other options.

These are excellent scopes!

I would also consider waiting a couple months until the new SS 1-4X24 (illuminated mil reticle) scope comes out.  I am, and I plan to also use mine for an AR.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
NinjaTurtle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NinjaTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2010 at 14:30
I run a 1-4 Trij on my Daniel Defense and love it.  The red triangle fit the bill for me but I agree that reticle color is a personal choice.  I also looked at green and amber triangles and decided in a very scientific manner to get the red one (ie it was on sale Big Smile).  In my application I don't need the precision of the mil dot (althought the triangle is more than precise enough IMHO) and the triangle is fast, fast on target.  I've had mine for about 3 months and I think I finally have the perfect optic for my applications.  I haven't had any wash out in the Texas sun, transition from high to low light works fine and the glass is easy on the eyes. 
BTW- My boys started hogging my gun after I put the Trij on so I got two more TR24R's with the GG&G QD mounts for both of their DDM4. We've put a few thousand rounds through the combo over the last few months with total reliablity. 
Your actions today will echo in eternity.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 13:37
I just got one last Friday.  While I have not used it yet, I will comment on the glass.  It is very nice, clear all the way to the edges and the triangle reticle is very fast and easy to pick up.  I have tried several scopes trying to get the perfect scope for my AR.  Red dots, ACOG 3x, IOR 4x, 3-9x scopes, and I think I may have finally found it with the Accupoint.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
dfsutton View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfsutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 15:12
I'm very interested in seeing what happens with this scope.
dfsutton View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfsutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 15:15
Originally posted by dfsutton dfsutton wrote:

I'm very interested in seeing what happens with this scope.

Oops, I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread
Manny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 17:09
Ninja turtle, how do you like the GG&G mount?

Does it maintain zero with removal & replacement?

I really like the single lever design, but have been unable to find anyactual users yet, any post on it seems to end up with advice to stick with Larue, but no actual info on the GG&G.

I'd sure appreciate your sharing your thoughts on it.

Thanks,

Manny
NinjaTurtle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NinjaTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 22:09
Manny,

I've been very happy with all of my GG&G QD's.  Zero hold is as good or better than any quality QD's I've tried.  We run identical rifles and they hold zero from gun to gun as well. We do try keep track of which scope goes on what rifle but I don't see much difference in zero when swapping them around.  Keep in mind that we don't generally bench rest these rigs so I'm sure there are slight deviations.
We've dropped, beat and generally abused them about every way you can (teenagers + 4 wheelers= good test IMHO). Lot's of times we come in so dirty that we have to dismount the scopes for cleaning.  Snap'em back on and we're banging gongs, 'dillos and crows on the next trip out with no problem.  You do have to pay attention and get the lever adjusted the first time - but I haven't had to touch it since day one.  I recommend them hightly and I've run just about every piece of metal out there.
I like La Rue - they make good stuff.  I've just been moving to GG&G instead and I'm a Texas guy!
Your actions today will echo in eternity.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 09:56
The TR24 is a great scope, used one on a 6.8 for sometime with the German #4 and green dot.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic