OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need some help quickly (burris XTR)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase102798 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some help quickly (burris XTR)
    Posted: July/11/2010 at 21:07
A gentleman bought one of the Burris XTR 1-4 scopes from me used. It was in excellent condition but he claims there is a lens missing from the front. I don't think he is correct, but I don't have one to compare.

Could someone check theirs and take a look at the picture link below that he sent me? You can see a lens down in and I thought that was the front lens. Thanks in advance.

AzJim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 12:24
I don't own this scope, but Burris has a large image on their website that shows the front of this scope. I don't really see any difference between the burris image and your image aside from the angle.

I think your scope is fine.

--
Jim
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 15:43
I am pretty sure if there was an entire lens missing the scope wouldn't focus...
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 19:09
Send that picture to Burris C/S. Thier email is on thier website. They can tell you for sure if it is correct.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 22:49
The first lock ring holds in the element package that the the second lock ring is mounted in. Look closely and you can tell that the outer lock ring is a larger diameter thread than the threads of the second lock ring that holds in the lens. Like Graysteel said, There is no way the scope could focus with a missing lens. I suppose you use the term Gentleman loosely.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
chase102798 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase102798 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 14:50
Hi guys,

I emailed customer service the link and they said it was just as they manufacture it. He believed that the buyer was getting confused by looking at the photoshopped pictures on their website.

I emailed the gentleman the responses and he was in fact confused by their marketing photos. I appreciate everyones response, it calmed my nerves a bit.

3_tens, at first I did believe I was using the term loosely as I thought I was being jerked around, but after explaining it to him, he was real nice and apologetic and he admitted that he was fooled by the website and doesn't have alot of experience with optics. So, I guess no harm no foul.

Thanks everyone.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 21:49
Glad to hear Burris cleared it up for all involved.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2010 at 00:03
Burris CS has always been good with information for me. I have never had to send a scope back either. Glad your buyer ended up happy. By the way welcome to the OT Chase102798. You are welcome to stay and join in the fun. We have a good time here.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2010 at 00:15
If you can see reasonable image through a scope, the front lens is not missing.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic