OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Best Porro prism binoculars you have owned

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2010 at 21:38
Best ever porro for me was a Docter 12x50BGA Nobilem.
Razor sharp and super clear optics, decent field of view, eye relief just barely enough for someone with glasses.
Only downside was that it is a big and bulky binocular.
Of course Docter no longer offers that specific model, but they still carry a similar 10x50.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2011 at 20:50
Throw in another vote for the B&L Discoverer.

I had a 10x42 which was superb.  I wish I'd never sold it.

I have an 8x42 which is equally as good.  It is one of my favorite binoculars ever.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 13:05
Since the "I have owned"  question is in play:

Swift Nighthawk 8x40.  First good binocular I ever bought or even used.  Huge 499' fov.  I still have it and bought another one like it in NIB condition from ebay a couple of years ago.  I used and abused the devil out of that glass and it took its lickin' and kept on tickn'.  It never did let me down.  I finally did have to send it in for a cleanup and tune up.  The black armor has faded to gray, but is still securely attached.  While the optics are not really up to modern standards, I still have no qualms about using it and do not feel like I am at much disadvantage.

Swift Audubon 8.5x44 HR 5.  This is still one of the better binoculars for pure view available.  It is a step up over the Nighthawk for sure.  I sold this one.  Mine was the non ED version.  I also had the modern version of this binocular, but sold it because the eye cups were too large in diameter to fit me comfortably.

Leupold Yosemite 6x30.  This is simply the best deal I have ever seen.  This will gall a lot of folks, but the Nikon SE I don't think is a really significant advance., seeing how the Yosemite is waterproof.  The 8x32 SE is certainly apparrently brighter than the 8x30 Yosemite, but the 6x seem a made to order match for the Yosemite.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 18:48
Those I currently own:
1. Seeadler-Optik  9x63
2. Pecar-Berlin  9x63  - these are about 30 yrs old and the lenses are getting " milky" in appearance. It doesn't seem to affect performance though.

Finest bino's I have ever owned, but are very heavy/bulky. Not a bad thing considering my hunting is usually from an elevated shooting house. 

Edited by HuntMaster - January/03/2011 at 18:50
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 14:48
It is not the best Porro out there. But  it's the best one I have ever owned. :)

Tasco 7x50 back many moons ago.  It's better than junk grade.  But I quickly moved away to roof binoculars when the prices of those came down.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 15:03
Hehe - this thread is still going:-) I guess I have to give my picks then:
- Steiner 7x50 Commander, used at sea for the past 30 years, have been through tremendous shocks and hardship, immersed in water thousands of times, banged against wood, glass and metal thousands of times (great for open areas, poor if you need to adjust focus)
- Minox BR 10x44 BP
- Leupold 6x32 Yosemite (my son uses them for hunting the forest)
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 16:15
Originally posted by WestOfPecos WestOfPecos wrote:

Leupold 6x32 Yosemite (my son uses them for hunting the forest)
Leupold 6x30 Yosemite  Wink 
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 17:13
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Originally posted by WestOfPecos WestOfPecos wrote:

Leupold 6x32 Yosemite (my son uses them for hunting the forest)
Leupold 6x30 Yosemite  Wink 

oops:-) This will teach me to re-read what I write before pushing POST...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic