OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Whos is better and does size matter??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whos is better and does size matter??
    Posted: July/11/2010 at 14:22
Enough is to much.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 07:40
I doubt youll find a 1500 yard range finder for 500 bucks. But look for used Lecia.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 08:13
This may get more response if it were posted under Laser Range finders.

I love my Leica but it does not have the angle calculator gimmick. It takes about 20 Deg before it is much of an issue, unless shooting extreme ranges. Then you really need to know and practice Ballistic calculations rather than relying on extra gimmicks added to your tools that may cause complications in the field. With the law suits that are flying, worries about service after the sale could be an issue..
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 13:37
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

This may get more response if it were posted under Laser Range finders.

I love my Leica but it does not have the angle calculator gimmick. It takes about 20 Deg before it is much of an issue, unless shooting extreme ranges. Then you really need to know and practice Ballistic calculations rather than relying on extra gimmicks added to your tools that may cause complications in the field. With the law suits that are flying, worries about service after the sale could be an issue..

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">
Enough is to much.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 14:51
Bushnell Elite 1500 is very good.  Measured plus or minus one yard out to 1000.  I haven't tried to measure it further.  Angle feature is right on.  I've used that for bow hunting and it is very accurate. Calculate the cosine of the angle and multiply by the range and you will have the "ballistic range"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rudy99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudy99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 17:47
You should check out the review done here: http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html
The Leica appears to be the best bang for the buck. There was one on the sample list a few days ago, but it appears to be sold now.

BTW, what is up with your posting format? Are you copying from microsoft word or something?
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 20:12
Originally posted by rudy99 rudy99 wrote:

You should check out the review done here: http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html
The Leica appears to be the best bang for the buck. There was one on the sample list a few days ago, but it appears to be sold now.

BTW, what is up with your posting format? Are you copying from microsoft word or something?

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">
Enough is to much.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 21:14
I would agree that, overall, the Leica is the better of the two.  Best bang for the buck, I would disagree with.  You don't need millimeter accuracy in range for hunting purposes.  I paid $249.00 brand new for my Bushnell, have used it for a couple of years with great results.  A difference of about $600.00 for capability I really don't need. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 23:27
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I would agree that, overall, the Leica is the better of the two.  Best bang for the buck, I would disagree with.  You don't need millimeter accuracy in range for hunting purposes.  I paid $249.00 brand new for my Bushnell, have used it for a couple of years with great results.  A difference of about $600.00 for capability I really don't need. 

I see your point; I also think that the angle compensating feature adds versatility if you happen to be a Bow hunter.
Enough is to much.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 23:36
What will you be using this for ?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 23:41
You don"t need a 1500 Yd Range finder for Bow hunting. What are you trying to accomplish, I am having a hard time trying to figure out what goals you are trying to reach by your post.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 00:20
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

You don"t need a 1500 Yd Range finder for Bow hunting. What are you trying to accomplish, I am having a hard time trying to figure out what goals you are trying to reach by your post.

Enough is to much.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 11:51
Originally posted by REP REP wrote:

I see your point; I also think that the angle compensating feature adds versatility if you happen to be a Bow hunter.
I hunt a lot of pretty steep inclines, so it is very useful for that, as well.  For hunting purposes, I find the Bushnell more than adequate.  And it is usable for golf as well...
Certainly, the Leica is a higher quality piece of gear.  Just depends on what you really need it for and how much money you have to burn.  There are certain atmospheric conditions that the Leica will probably perform better in, reflective quality is probably a bit better, but I just can't justify the price differential.  The Bushnell has never let me down when I need it, and that is pretty much all you can ask from a piece of equipment...

REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 17:23

Originally posted by REP REP wrote:

I hunt a lot of pretty steep inclines, so it is very useful for that, as well.  For hunting purposes, I find the Bushnell more than adequate.  And it is usable for golf as well...
Certainly, the Leica is a higher quality piece of gear.  Just depends on what you really need it for and how much money you have to burn.  There are certain atmospheric conditions that the Leica will probably perform better in, reflective quality is probably a bit better, but I just can't justify the price differential.  The Bushnell has never let me down when I need it, and that is pretty much all you can ask from a piece of equipment...

Thanks I will be sure and give it a close look before I lay down the green backs. I hope to be able to sneak off to Cabelas in the morning. Thank you for the post. REP
Enough is to much.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 23:42
Dont know much about range finders but size must matter, my wife married me for some reason...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic