OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with choice
    Posted: July/11/2010 at 13:18
Loco I cant decide on what scope for my 6.5 Creedmor AR. The only thing I am sure of is the price limit of $600, my wifes idea (%$#@!). This is what I narrowed it down too. Hawke Sidewinder/Tactical 6.5-24 $398.00, SS 3-9 FFP $600, or SS 10x42 (non HD) $300.00. I prefer a 30 MM tube. Rifle use is hunting 75%, target/plinking 25%. Would like to try targets out to 1000M. I like the idea of the FFP on the SS but as some have said is that really needed on a 3-9 vari? The SS 10x42 sounds like a great scope but Iam worried about using it for hunting in the event of a close shot. Hawke seems nice but havent heard much about toughness and warranty. Are there any I have missed or overlooked in anyones opinion? Maybe I should save up fo the Viper PST FFP. What do you think? 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 13:32
how about the ss6x then??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 13:32
Get the SS 3-9.  Great scope.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Staedy Aim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 13:37
The six would probably work. I guess I wanted a little more power though.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 13:39
Helo 18, do you use yours for long range?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 13:42
Mine sits on my 270.  I have shot out to 800 yards with it so far, but I am sure I will get out to 1000.  But I use mine a lot for hunting and not as much target.  I do like shooting targets and it works for me.   I do like my Burris Black Diamond 4-16 on my 300 Win for the long range stuff, but the glass is better on my SS 3-9 and that makes a difference and why I have no problems using it at 800+ yards.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 13:49
Thank you helo. You are in a long list of people who like it. Heres a dumb question, I have always used a range finder. Would the SS3-9 negate the need for one once I got good at using it?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 13:53
Not necessarily.   You have to practice a lot with it to get good using it ranging.  If you can't hold the rifle steady enough it makes it harder to do and it is not as accurate.   I like to practice with the scope and then hit it with a range finder to see how close I am.  Doesn't make a lot of difference close range, but at long range (say 800 yards) if you guess wrong by 50 yards, then you miss.  So practice is a big deal.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 13:59
Good point Helo. Guess I need to just pick something and get good at it. Never used a MIL reticle but they do sound handy. I am out of elk jerky so I better get with it!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 14:06
Where do you hunt elk?  If it is like where I hunt in Montana, you could have shots anywhere from 20 to 400 yards on elk.  I would not want a fixed 10x for that.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 14:10
I hunt in Southwest Idaho. Probably similar to your area. Open plains and timber areas. I have a burris PEPR that I was going to mount a red dot on top of if I went with a fixed power.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 16:28
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">
Enough is to much.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 17:49
Good story REP. Like you I have been reading lots of reviews. Maybe too many! Bottom line is if the scope does what I want it to do then it will be fine. The SS 3-9 sounds like it will and more. I know people who hunt with $60 dollar scopes and some that only use $1500 and up optics. Each to his own. If I can keep meat in the freezer and go plinking with the guys then Im happy. Thank you all for your input. This site is an excellent source of info.You all help those of us like me who arnt very knowledgable about these things. I can pass that info on to my sons and that is priceless. Thanks again and happy shootin!
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 21:06
Originally posted by Staedy Aim Staedy Aim wrote:

Good story REP. Like you I have been reading lots of reviews. Maybe too many! Bottom line is if the scope does what I want it to do then it will be fine. The SS 3-9 sounds like it will and more. I know people who hunt with $60 dollar scopes and some that only use $1500 and up optics. Each to his own. If I can keep meat in the freezer and go plinking with the guys then Im happy. Thank you all for your input. This site is an excellent source of info.You all help those of us like me who arnt very knowledgable about these things. I can pass that info on to my sons and that is priceless. Thanks again and happy shootin!

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">
Enough is to much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic