OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TACTICAL vs. 3 Gun AR15 / SHOT GUN / SIGHTS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TACTICAL vs. 3 Gun AR15 / SHOT GUN / SIGHTS
    Posted: July/09/2010 at 22:47

I do not know how this will turn out but I have to ask...

What sights/scopes/ideas can you suggest for a Red Dot Type, Speed Sight, 45 degree angle magnifier or 1-4x scope for the AR15 for shots between 20yrds and 200yards

Am wondering about a few particularly...

Hawke?

Vortex?

Leatherwood?

If you have any other suggestions I am very impressionable on this...

ANY ABSOLUTELY ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS,

I don't care if it is a brand no one has heard of if it works for you please tell me...

I am looking for him for something that is semi-durable...(I am thinking he might up the $$$ eventually but he did ask so I am doing my best)

Details at the bottom.

BEST REGARDS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP

I have a friend who asked which 1-4x scope can I suggest for the AR15 for 20yrd - 200yrd 3 gun style matches...

I told him EOTECH. FIXED POWER

I also told him ACOG.  FIXED LOW POWER

He stated to much...

or

PLUS HE WANTS THE 1-4X

I am wondering about this ...

Since it is an historical fact that the SS 1-4x will be taking some time and that they are not chosing a reticle (unless this has changed) that is specifically for fast target aquisition vs. 9-10 Target aquisition I am wondering what is left...

I am not making any cuts or slams on SWFA its just he is already shooting and needs it now...

I myself am much excited to beat one of the SS 1-4x24/s up...I know it will perform... I hope they do choose a Fast Target Aquisiton  

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - July/09/2010 at 22:53
No one
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2010 at 10:02
Trijicon 1-4x.  Fast with the triangle reticle.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2010 at 11:07
I run two of the compact ACOGs one is 1.5x amber triangle the other is a 3x red crosshair given a choice I like the triangle in 1.5 but might go with a red as the amber washes out when looking toward streetlights at night but in any other condition it is superb.   0 to 300 there is not that much bullet drop on a man size target you will be somewhere on it.  Working off the point of the triangle I am sub moa at 300 with a 300 yd zero on the 1.5 and up close you use the whole triangle and just know that impact will be a tad  high but in the chest or head.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2010 at 19:22
the golden rule in 3 gun and action shooting matches is:
my grandmother can shoot that good -- it just takes her longer.
Speed is everything, any hand/ammo or other  manipulations, must be made on the move and as fast as possible, to gain precious time for additional time on target with sights. Everyone in A class and above will shoot  perfect hits, the winner will be who does it the fastest. When the difference in time between the top shooters is measured in 10ths of seconds, turning the power variable on a scope (or any manipulation with the optics) goes way down on the list. A 1x4 usually doesn't cut it because head shots at 200 yds are difficult to do (remember fast) on 4x and 10x is too much for close targets--- so side mounted dots work well. Usually when one type of optics dominate the field , someone is not stage designing well. A good stage design will circumvent any clear cut advantage of any piece of equip. so a wide range of usefulness takes the lead. Of course any set up will work it just depends on how "competitive" one wants to be. Action shooting in general is  directed at removing the frontal part of the brain from overriding the lower brain stem motor "reaction". The better it works the faster you can shoot the stage.
The set up I prefer is a nfs 2.5x10, zero stop, left on something from 6thru10 on a warne mount with a 45 rail and a dot type --small like a Doctor, Pride, or Burris or Leo. If your looking for something leo/military would use-- thats another story-- rarely does it overlap with civilian needs.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

GriswoldGuns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GriswoldGuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 12:35
I am in Similiar decision making prosses, I am looking for either a reddot (CompC3 or an EOT512) or a low power scope (no more than 6x) with a pricecap of $450 for sight and mount. This is going on a 16" M4 contour AR that will probably never see targets past 200yds and unless SHTF will never kill anything other than paper. I like the idea of 1-4x but a fixed power with a QD base would also work.  Must clear A.R.M.S. 40LSP buis and its an A2 front sight.  Intrested in the optics that those much wiser than I would think fit this criteria. 
Climb to Glory
I carry a .45 because having to shoot twice is just silly
GriswoldGuns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GriswoldGuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 12:51
forgot to say Illuminated or not doesnt matter and I would like #4 retical or a mildot.

thanks
Climb to Glory
I carry a .45 because having to shoot twice is just silly
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 12:18
The best deal right now for 3 gun is the Burris TAC 30
I ran one in a few matches and it worked well from point blank out to 500 yards

I generally don't like BDC reticles but this scope worked fine.

A red dot is the fastest at close range and easy to hit Steel plates out to 250
But if there are 500 yard shots not so much

Acogs can work well though most guys are running 1-4s

Running dual optics puts you into open class and much more serious competitors

The king of 3G optics is the Swaorvski Z6 1-6 illuminated BRT

The Trijicon TR24 triangle is fast but hard to shoot past 250 because hold over are hard as the Reticle is covering it

Having said that, one of the top dogs runs one and he dials in for long shots

I know the Vortex PSTs are popular but I wasn't very impressed

I am running the Leupold VXR patrol 1.25-4 and quite like it

I am awaiting the new USO dual plane 1-4
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 15:27
Thank you for your responses...

Any new additions in the field.

Again I do not do 3 gunning for a few older (50's and 60's) that do it...

They look to the whipper snapper for gear...

They do have fixed incomes though...
No one
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 16:13
I still really like the leupold FX3 6x42 with long range duplex and the Super Sniper 6x42 Mil Quad.    The price is way more reasonable than the top end 1-4x scopes and I am convinced I can get onto something pretty darn close with a fixed  6x scope.
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42MQ  Thunbs Up
  • Matte Finish
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
$299.95 
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - October/11/2012 at 16:23

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 16:18
Even the mil dot version might be a good choice.  http://kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/swfa
The  Kenton Speed Dial would be ideal.
SS MOA/MRAD
SPEED DIAL          
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TRP_Operator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRP_Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2012 at 21:17
I shoot 3 Gun a few times a year. As for the optic of choice I agree with ccoker  Swaorvski Z6 1-6 illuminated BRT is the scope most people use. Running two optics on a rifle or one on your shotgun puts you in open class and that gets expensive real quick. 

I use the 1-6 power sighted in at 25 yards. With my loads and barrel length it puts me at a 300 yard zero as well. I only have a slight adjustment (hold offs) for 100 and 200 yard shots. The 1-6 or 1-4 scopes work well mainly because they design the course where you have to move and usually you have to move to shoot the longer shots from the short ones. While moving they use a throw lever on the scope to go to the higher power for the long (usually 300 yards) sometimes longer shots. 

I have tried an older Leupold,  Vortex, Burris, and Swaorvski. Although the Swaorvski is high if you want to be competitive it has the best reticle for the game right now. IMHO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic