OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Gun Safes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun Safes
    Posted: July/08/2010 at 16:47
What do you guys own? I'm starting to look hard at purchasing a legit safe for all my weapons storage plus important docs.

Any recommendations?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=OSONS5UGRNGYXLAQBBKCCONMCAEFKIWE?id=0031453227326a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=1240403&cm_ite=0031453227326a&_requestid=80169

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=144020

I live about an hour away from Cabelas so naturally that would be a good fit for a safe. Anybody have experience with these types?

Thanks!

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 19:50
No Cabelas around here but as a rule of thumb.
1.   Make sure you buy a safe with at  least a 1 hr fire rating. Anything less and you may find the warranty void.
2. Get at least twice as large as you will ever expect to use. This will be about 4 times what you feel you need now. I guarantee it will get filled. If not with firearms but with other important documents and valuables.
3. If there is a Locksmith that specializes in safes near you, buy from them. Many times the price is better and you will get better warranty service when needed. It is easier to get someone to service a safe they have sold. A box store will not have a service department. A safe is hard and expensive to return.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 19:53
you need to worry about it being water tight just as much as you need to worry about the fire rating, as a fireman we at times will use ungodly amounts of water to put out a house fire.
just something else to think about.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 20:07
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

1.   Make sure you buy a safe with at  least a 1 hr fire rating. Anything less and you may find the warranty void.
2. Get at least twice as large as you will ever expect to use. This will be about 4 times what you feel you need now. I guarantee it will get filled. If not with firearms but with other important documents and valuables.
3. If there is a Locksmith that specializes in safes near you, buy from them. Many times the price is better and you will get better warranty service when needed. It is easier to get someone to service a safe they have sold. A box store will not have a service department. A safe is hard and expensive to return.

Great suggestions Lile.

#1   Thunbs Up  If within your budget go with a 90 minute rated safe.

#2   Thunbs Up  Thunbs Up  Wish someone would have told me this 20 years ago.

#3   Thunbs Up  Definitely worth looking into.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 20:44
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Great advice for sure. I definitely had in mind to buy larger off the bat due to the fact i enjoy hunting and shooting in general so i know purchases will happen over the years. I like the idea of having an hour+ fire/water rating as our house is a bit more rurally located. Better to be safe than sorry from that regard.

I'll have to look into local locksmiths. Hadn't really thought of that.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 05:05
  All of this advice is right on the money. When looking check out Costco on line good safes with all the features for a lot less $$$, with delivery included in price.
froggy
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 07:10
Alot of safe manufacturers sell seconds[scratch & dent] for realy good prices.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 07:21

Some manufactures will deliver and set up too.  I can't remember which one it was when I was research years ago.  Maybe Liberty?  don't remember.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 07:38
Lots of good advice already offered. I had a buddy buy a really nice safe (Liberty I think) at a great price, from a local pawn shop. They delivered and brought it in to the house for him. Years ago (1980's) I bought a Browning safe that was drop shipped to my house. The Union truck driver set it in the road in front of my house because that's all he "had" to do. I bribed him (with a six pack) to hand truck it in to my garage. More fun than diarrhea.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 09:41
I have a big stack-on (sp) safe. a friend was in need of some cash and I got it for 500. its a 1,200 safe. its fire rated and all that good stuff. Also in the paper work its say "if the safe is bolted down all items inside our covered" that from flood. fire and other stuff. So far its been a nice safe but i'm out growig it slowly.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 13:10
Hey shooter hang on,maybe Bigdaddy will cut you a deal on his old safeHere Ye Here Ye
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 13:17
nah I got to keep it also,
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 13:37
home depot sell safes as well with free delivery.  I bought one from them.  Sentry Safe brand
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 13:40
Thanks to all for your advice....i'll check locally and plan a Cabelas run next weekend as well. Might kick some tires and see what kind of deals are out there locally. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Stevey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 14:29
SmileBuy the biggest best quality one that you can afford - 90 min fire rating.
Other factors are a removable door to lighten load for installation and if the safe is to be sited on a basement concrete floor put it ontop of a low elevated platform to get it off the concrete. In case of a flood of fire fighting water (good point) this could help and will prevent the bottom of the safe from rusting upon exposure to the salts in the concrete. The safe might be anchored to the floor to prevent it from being lugged away by bad guys.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 15:00
Well most off the safes i am looking at are in the 500+ lb range empty so i doubt they're going anywhere with it by hand lol. Hell i've found em as heavy as 1100lbs. That's just unreal.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 16:58
The weight is from the fire protection. Weight is good. The lighter safe will have similar thickness metal for the walls but the heaver safe will have more sheet rock in it to last through a fire.

Edited by 3_tens - July/09/2010 at 17:01
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 20:46
If you ever plan to move it, try Zanotti Armor.

ILya
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2010 at 11:18
You may have to reinforce the floor with the bigger safes.
I'm classic shag nasty type.
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2010 at 12:20
As already said, get the biggest one you can. I bought a Heritage the size of a refrigerator thinking I would never fill it. It's full. Thinking of buying another unit for paperwork and electronics and leaving the Heritage as my dedicated gun safe. Make sure wherever you buy it that they will deliver - and move it for you if ever needed! Golf balls work pretty good to maneuver it from room to room once in the house.
RK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic