OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Archery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

treestands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: treestands
    Posted: July/06/2010 at 19:29
  What ya usin'?

Here's my early season (low altitude) stand:
   Summit Archery: Realtree Outfitter Series Bushmaster Treestand

Summit Archery: Realtree Outfitter Series Bushmaster Treestand

And my go for broke set up.  An API AL100 and Klein Tree Spikes:

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 20:11
I have a Summit climber for deer season. Does the job well. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 20:57
A branch.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 21:16
We use all Ladder stands if possible, Our group is getting to old for tradition hang on tree stands.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 21:40
I've used API Baby Grand stands with a portable climbing stick that I can remove daily if need be.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 23:15
i don't use them kind of hard around here with only pine trees. plus not big fan of heights.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 09:49
 Here is one to try , if you think you are too old you aren't,if you want stability here it is.
 I'm 58 have had 6 lumbar surgeries , 3 with fussions and I can still use mine and be comfortable for a few hours at a time. I used to be able to sit all day but that was 4 years ago before the last 3 opperations.
 Good for bow hunting or rifle. Give it a look, only sold on line or at Sportsman Shows.
froggy
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 10:50
has anyone ever used the Tree Lounger?
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 12:00
I almost bought one years ago, when they had alot of infomercials about them, but if I remember correctly they were quite expensive.  Haven't seen much of them lately.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 12:03
I have to get a new climber this year and still haven't decided yet what to have.  has to be able to hold my "big" self
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 12:05
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 13:30
Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

i don't use them kind of hard around here with only pine trees. plus not big fan of heights.

I use stands where possible cause I'm not a big fan of empty game tags...........................grin
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 13:55

Just start out at a height your comfortable with.

Empty tags aren't too bad with a bit of catsup! LOL

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 14:18
Tag stew cassarole...
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 14:50
Taste like antlers, only softer.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 17:20
I like the Lone Wolf Alpha hang-on stand...

It's very solid and quiet due to the 1-pc cast aluminum platform. 

I also use the Summit Mega Samson 18' ladder stand.  It has an I-beam ladder leg profile that makes it very rigid without needing extra bracing against the tree.  Unfortunately, I think Summit discontinued them. 

I also have one of Summit's tripods, but I don't remember the model name and I believe they discontinued it too.  It is very solidly built as well. 

I like Summit's stands in general.

Most of the rest of my stands and blinds I built myself.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 20:52
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I use stands where possible cause I'm not a big fan of empty game tags...........................grin
  Yeah same here. but in 20+ years of hunting I've only not filled my tag 2/3 times. so I'm not to worried about it. Big Grin

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 04:32
+1 on the Summit stands. They are well made and very functional for their intended purpose. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 07:02
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Just start out at a height your comfortable with.

Empty tags aren't too bad with a bit of catsup! LOL

OR, live in a FREE state like Alabama where you can kill two deer a day every day from mid-Oct to 31 Jan...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 08:04
To answer the tree lounge question, they are superb stands, as long as you don't need to move them very much.  without question, they are the most comfortable and safest climber I have hunted out of, but they are not nearly as "clean" to set up on a tree.  I tend to leave mine on a tree on private land instead of packing in and out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic