OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help getting ocular set

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help getting ocular set
    Posted: July/06/2010 at 08:39
hey guys, im lookin for some help gettin my ocular set just right on a ss10xHD. over the past couple days ive done the basic adjustment, per CFs' instructions:

"Gene,
The ocular focus or the eye piece focus is used solely to focus the reticle.  First start off with the ocular focus set at its factory setting (see attachment).  Put the parallax setting at 150.  Loosen the lock ring, aim the scope at the sky so that there is nothing for your eye to focus on except the reticle.  Turn the ocular focus slowly until the reticle is crisp and clear.  Put the scope down, let your eye rest and repeat several times.  Tighten the lock ring and never mess with that focus again.  It is a one time focus for the reticle only it is not used as an image focus."

what ive found is i have almost 2 complete revolutions of the eyepiece where the crosshairs are in focus. ive checked this lookin both through the scope at the sky and at a white blank wall.  ive picked various spots in this range and tightened the lock ring. i made a quick fixture so i can mount my scope toa bookcase pointed out the window

next ill look at a target at say 150 yds. i dial out the parallax so that when i move my head slightly up and down or side to side the crosshairs stay centered on the target. when i get the parallax dialed out, the target isnt in focus. if i use the parallax adjustment to focus the target, parallax is present.

if i get the ocular focus set perfectly, should the target be in focus when the parallax is dialed out? or, is this just something we have to live with? note that i dont look at the range scale on the parallax adjustment ring at all.

im guessin part of my problem is my middle age less than perfect eyes. also i know that if i stare through the scope for longer than a quick glance when setting the ocular my eyes will adjust and focus the reticle - which isnt correct. btw i dont seem to have this issue w the ole 10x standard RF SS10xs i have, they r in focus w the parallax dialed out. ive got an older 12x fixed leupold that is in focus w the parallax dialed out also.

any help appreciated

thx!
lear

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 10:03
My guess is that you have a faulty scope. You have done everything correctly. When you dial out parallax, you are in fact bringing the target and the reticule onto the same focal plane. That means that both objects (the target and the reticule) should be in perfect focus. Even to tired old eyes.
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 12:20
thx 8 shots, i thought i was doin this right, but never had any problems gettin a scope focused before - good to know im on the right track.

i did find im able to dial out the parallax, then get the targets in focus by making small changes to the ocular adjustment within the range where the crosshairs are in focus - which is actually a good bit more than 2 turns, more like 4. i may have it set better now, i can now dial out the parallax on targets from150-300 yds, and they r in focus, but between the eye strain and hazy/high mirage conditions im not able to check at longer ranges today. tomorrow morning ill try 50 yds or so, and out to 500, which is all i can get out the window here.

i still think the scope is fine, its just a matter of my eyes and gettin her set correctly, but i cant be sure.

has anyone had to fine tune their ocular adjustment this way before?

thx again

lear
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 12:42
Sometimes you have more luck doing it the other way.  On an actual target, dial out the parallax completely.  Then, adjust the ocular until both the target and reticle are in focus.   If that works, you should be good to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic