OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1917 EDDYSTONE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1917 EDDYSTONE
    Posted: July/05/2010 at 21:48

I got this rifle for my 18th b-day from my grandfather. who has passed away a few years ago. Deal is when I go to shoot it sometime it will miss fire, then when you go to open the bolt up it will discharger sometime. Any ideas whats going? where a good place to pick up parts for it. BTW thats the best way to describe whats it doing.

Thanks Guys Big Grin
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2010 at 22:01
It might have a bunch of cosmoline in the bolt. 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2010 at 22:20
Thanks Ed I'll look @ that. another thing  to mention is the rifle don't look like the old military firearms & have kept it really clean.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

Stevey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 17:51
Whatever Take it to a good gunsmith.

The 1917's cock on closing and any number of reasons could cause the problem -- what could be a disaster is for the rifle to discharge after the bolt is unlocked when the round is held tight against the bolt face by the extractor.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 18:19
Good article on the 1917 from the Civilian Marksmanship Program http://www.odcmp.com/forms/m1917.pdf
Numrich has tons of parts for the Enfield http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=1917
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 19:30
Originally posted by Stevey Stevey wrote:

Whatever Take it to a good gunsmith.

The 1917's cock on closing and any number of reasons could cause the problem -- what could be a disaster is for the rifle to discharge after the bolt is unlocked when the round is held tight against the bolt face by the extractor.

don't want take it a gun smith & pay more than the guns worth. if anything I'll retire the thing, haven't used it years cause of this thought i might use it again this year if could get it fixed.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 19:31
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Good article on the 1917 from the Civilian Marksmanship Program http://www.odcmp.com/forms/m1917.pdf
Numrich has tons of parts for the Enfield http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=1917
Thanks Doug I'll look @ them here later.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 19:39
 Has is been sporterized?  How about a pic?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 19:55
yup it has. give me a few & i'll see if i can get one done up for ya.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 20:15
Never mind I cant get the to up load. still to damn  big even after I cut & trimed them up. I can email or something if someone else can get them on here.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 01:09
 huntwingler's 1917 Eddystone:

Edited by 300S&W - July/07/2010 at 19:35
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 01:28
 Couldn't hurt to get an estimate.  Maybe a cock-on-open conversion?

Just in case you decide to:
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 03:10
Hope I look as good at it's age.How old is the ammo you are using?Sometimes powder that got wet will cause a Hang fire.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 07:12
Those guns are certainly worth being fixed.  A don't know if a cock on opening conversion would be safe or not....I know it is not advisable on Mausers because they must grind away too much metal. 

Perhaps it's just grease in the bolt.  Sluggish firing pin, and then it releases when you raise the bolt handle......maybe a bad spring......I dunno.......but I wouldn't put it up to my face.....Bucky     
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 10:35
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Hope I look as good at it's age.How old is the ammo you are using?Sometimes powder that got wet will cause a Hang fire.
New ammo just about every time i would shoot it.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 10:40
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Those guns are certainly worth being fixed.  A don't know if a cock on opening conversion would be safe or not....I know it is not advisable on Mausers because they must grind away too much metal. 

Perhaps it's just grease in the bolt.  Sluggish firing pin, and then it releases when you raise the bolt handle......maybe a bad spring......I dunno.......but I wouldn't put it up to my face.....Bucky     
Yeah hadn't plan on sticking my face in front of it. I may not be the brightest but yeah lol. Thanks Ed/Earl I'll look @ it alittle more over  the few days. I just remember I have a cousin whos took a gun smithing class maybe I'll have him look @ it.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 10:43

Excellent!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 16:35
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

hunterwingler's 1917 Eddystone: 

WHAT HAPPEN TO THE PIC'?? oh well....

Edited by hunterwingler - July/07/2010 at 16:37

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 19:41
 SORRY,Jamie.  We had a power outage while I was on Photobucket.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 20:16
LOL its all right. just though something had happen to them is all. btw everything that has be asked about in this posting has been looked @. sooo yeah I don't know. Whacko I'm going give it a break for few days b4 I start beating my on the a wall.

Edited by hunterwingler - July/07/2010 at 20:21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic