OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sako 75 stock refinishing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 17:39
Smile Great pics, great job! - especially near the checkering

I use Laurel Mtn, Permalyn sealer & finish from Brownells on my rifles with good or better wood.

On the laminated ones that I think of being like plywood I sand them down with 100 grit in my DeWalt power sander and then finish with 6-8 coats (lightly hand sanding between coats then brushed on with a foam rubber brush) of water base exterior polyurethane. The polyu takes about 30 - 45 minutes between each coat so a stock can be finished in one night. The finish is what you would expect if you take care to remove runs and is extremely durable. Great for sweaty hands, sand, water, heat, dirt and whatever.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 20:53
That thing looks better than new, bang up job on the stock.  I love the bags as well
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 06:36
Thanks all. It was a tough job to be sure. That epoxy based stain finish used at the factory was a bi*#@ to get off. I ended up using a product I got from Brownells called Certistrip. With a lot of "elbow grease" and steel wool dipped in the Certistrip, I finally got it down to the wood. I used about a dozen old toothbrushes (dipped in the Certistrip) to clean out the checkering. Then came sanding all the way down to 800 grit. The finish was Tru Oil and I applied four coats. In-between coats, I used 0000 steel wool. I allowed 3-4 days dry time  and ran a magnet over to collect any fine metal shavings from the steel wool polishing. After the final coat of Tru Oil, I applied some wax and there she was. The worst part was that it hurt my hands badly (I have osteo-arthritis there) and took about a week to recover. LOL. It turned out well and I had some Tru Oil left, so I also did my 1885 Low Wall. It had real plain jane wood but looks better now. Guess I never learn! LOL.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic