OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Scope ID help needed ASAP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Scope ID help needed ASAP!
    Posted: July/05/2010 at 00:37
stupid question but I only know anything about hunting scopes never ventured into tactical or even looked at one

I found a good deal on a "Leupold M4 4.5-14x40"  30mm tube side focus. It has target turrets (not M1 style)

I dotn see anything like this in current production as they are all 50 mm in the mark 4 line.

Is this a discontinued scope like a vx-iii or vari-x ii as opposed to a VX3?

Or if this a whole other onto its own how does it compare to a VX3 specifically if it were to be used as a hunting rifle?

Is it heavier?
Is it fog proof water proof etc like all the others?

Any info you can give me ASAP will be great I think I am going to have to move on it quick.  Also what would be a good price!
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2010 at 04:25
There have been a number of counterfeit Leupold tactical scopes on the market and you can see them advertised on auction sites and elsewhere. Leupold had information regarding identification of these cheap crap counterfeits on their website at one time... might still be there.
 Check Leupold site.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2010 at 07:56

Counterfeit Leupold Riflescope Warning

Leupold® is issuing a customer alert to purchasers of products, particularly via Internet sales, in regards to bogus Leupold products that are apparently being illegally imported from the People’s Republic of China. These products bear many of the marks and trade dress of current Leupold & Stevens riflescopes making them very hard to distinguish externally from authentic Leupold products.

Counterfeited Leupold Mark 4® riflescopes and more recently, counterfeited Leupold Prismatic riflescopes have begun to arrive with increasing regularity at the firm’s Beaverton, Oregon, headquarters for service. These products are not manufactured by Leupold and are not covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.

Leupold employs serial number tracking for all its riflescopes, so if a customer finds a scope that is suspect, he or she can simply write down the serial number and call 1-800-LEUPOLD to confirm if it is indeed authentic.

Counterfeited Leupold Mark 4® riflescopes:

In general, most of the scopes appear to originate from Hong Kong (People’s Republic of China), and have “Leupold Mark 4” laser engraved on the bottom of the turret in a silver etch, while the black ring on the objective is etched in white and does not include the name “Leupold”. The scopes also do not bear the Leupold medallion, a mark all Leupold scopes will always possess. An authentic Mark 4 riflescope will always be engraved black on black and have the name “Leupold” engraved on the black ring.

Identifying Marks:

Counterfeited Leupold Prismatic riflescopes:

The absence of a serial number and barcode on the bottom of the scope is the easiest way to identify these counterfeits. A brass ring may be visible when looking into the objective and screws can be seen on the top of the finger click adjustments under the caps. The product name is not engraved on the black ring.

Identifying Marks:
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
nitis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2010 at 08:40
Ok well lets assume the best I have requested the serial number so that I can have it checked.

What is your best guess as to what it might be or what it is and how it compares to a vx3?

I have seen enough doom and gloom assume it is legit as it is from a reputable seller on a classified add on another forum.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2010 at 09:09
  This is what you describe:

Specifications for Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14 x 40mm PR Long Range Rifle-Scopes:
Actual Magnification:   4.9(4.5x) 14.6(14x)
Length (in):   12.6
Eyepiece Length (in):   3.2
Objective Length (in):   4.0
Objective Diameter (in):   2.0
Eyepiece Diameter (in):   1.55
Tube Diameter:   30mm
Weight:   16.0 oz. / 454 grams
Eye Relief (in):   4.4(4.5x) 3.7(14x)
Eye Relief (mm):   113(4.5x) 93(14x)
Obj. Lens Diameter:   1.6in / 40mm
Max. Adjustment @ 100 yds (in):   95
Max. Adjustment @ 100 m (cm):   241
FOV @ 100 yds (ft):   18.6(4.5x) 7.3(14x)
FOV @ 100 m (m):   6.2(4.5x) 2.4(14x)
  Ring Spacing
Max. Mount Ring Spacing (in):   5.4
Front Ring Space (in):   1.8
Rear Ring Space (in):   2.3
Features of Leupold Mark-IV 4.5 - 14 x 40mm PR Long Range Rifle Scopes:
  • All models feature tall, target-style adjustment knobs with covers
  • 1/4-MOA ?click? windage and elevation adjustments with 15-MOA of adjustment for each revolution
  • Impeccable sight picture with excellent low-light performance
  • Legendary Leupold ruggedness and absolute waterproof integrity
  • Index Matched Lens System on 3.5 - 10x40 mm and 4.5-14x40mm Long Range
  • Leupold?s standard multicoat lens system on 3-9x40mm
  • Duplex, Fine Duplex, or Mil Dot reticle options available

Edited by 300S&W - July/05/2010 at 09:23
nitis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2010 at 09:28
that looks like it now I need to see some more pics from the guy and a serial number  and I will have it thanks for the help!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2010 at 09:32
 Thunbs Up  We aim to please!

GOOD LUCK and let us know how you make out with the deal if you would.

Edited by 300S&W - July/05/2010 at 09:32
22eley View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 22eley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 20:40
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

There have been a number of counterfeit Leupold tactical scopes on the market and you can see them advertised on auction sites and elsewhere. Leupold had information regarding identification of these cheap crap counterfeits on their website at one time... might still be there.
 Check Leupold site.
  That number is a TON of FAKES john
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2010 at 21:43
?
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 00:13
 ??
nitis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 00:28
Ok got the scope today 400 shipped to me.  Looks like brand new! less some light marks on the underside you can hardly tell it had been mounted.

Only problem I see is I am going to need to spend 60 bucks and send it to Oregon for a new reticle I thought it was a regular duplex but it is a fine duplex.

Oh well still money ahead even with that.  I probably would have had that done no matter what scope I bought.

I am happy so far I know I would have never spent the money to buy this nice of scope new!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 01:02
 Still a GOOD DEAL!

So what reticle are you getting?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 01:58
You know they will do custom balistic reticles matched to your specific caliber bullet right as well as doing custom engraved knobs that will be marked for each hundred yards for your specific caliber and bullet so there are some pretty cool things the custom shop can do.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 07:23
Glad you were able to verify that is was a real Leuopld over a fake before you bought it.
+1 on what Urimiginaryfrnd said. Custom shop can make what you want.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic