OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - what do you really have to spend for true quality?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what do you really have to spend for true quality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what do you really have to spend for true quality?
    Posted: July/03/2010 at 22:09
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 22:48
ior valdada is about the only one i can think of.
http://swfa.com/IOR-4-14x50-Hunting-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P1846.aspx
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jleinum09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 00:54
From how i see it, you get what you pay for with optics, period.  In most cases a five hundred dollar scope won't have as good eye relief, clarity, or be as bright in low light conditions Compared to a more expensive scope.  If you can afford a high end scope like Schmidt and Bender, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. then definitely do it. If you are looking at spending less than 1500, i would wither go with the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with the rapid z reticle.  I strongly suggest it since it sounds like you want to get long range performance out of your gun.  A Leupold Vari x3 would also be a good choice, it has a good bang for the buck.  
One Shot, One Kill
jleinum09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 00:57
Oh, and another great scope would be the Trijicon 5-20x50 if you would like an illuminated reticle.   Excellent for low light conditions.  Would suggest the green mil dot reticle ! It is superb for the price. By the way, welcome to OT!!
One Shot, One Kill
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 06:45
Originally posted by jleinum09 jleinum09 wrote:

Oh, and another great scope would be the Trijicon 5-20x50 if you would like an illuminated reticle.   Excellent for low light conditions.  Would suggest the green mil dot reticle ! It is superb for the price. By the way, welcome to OT!!

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 07:33
Welcome to OT.Swaro Z5,Zeiss or Trijicon.Cant'go wrong with any of the three!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 07:42
With your goal of 1000yds, the  Trijicon,is doable but iffy. I believe it only has 50 MOA of internal adjustment. The Sightron Big Sky III scopes get very good reviews for having glass quality at there price point.
  As far as value versus features though, it is really hard to beat the S.S. 3-9x42. It is a first focal plane scope, with mil adjustment that match the mil-dot reticle. Glass quality is rated very high by most reviewers (I don't own one).
  While not quite the magnification range you wanted the S.S. does  all you stated, and does it well.

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical RiflescopeMil-DotSWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 08:08
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

With your goal of 1000yds, the  Trijicon,is doable but iffy. I believe it only has 50 MOA of internal adjustment. The Sightron Big Sky III scopes get very good reviews for having glass quality at there price point.
  As far as value versus features though, it is really hard to beat the S.S. 3-9x42. It is a first focal plane scope, with mil adjustment that match the mil-dot reticle. Glass quality is rated very high by most reviewers (I don't own one).
  While not quite the magnification range you wanted the S.S. does  all you stated, and does it well.

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical RiflescopeMil-DotSWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 08:32
For an All around scope.
Here is a review of the scope I would recommend
 http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15017

here is the link to the actual scope.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-25-16x42-Elite-6500-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13139.asp

Edited by Steelbenz - July/04/2010 at 08:33
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 10:20
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

For an All around scope.
Here is a review of the scope I would recommend
 http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15017

here is the link to the actual scope.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-25-16x42-Elite-6500-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13139.asp

Thank you I enjoyed the review. I would really value your input on my new Zeiss line post titled Made to order Zeiss? Thanks again, REP
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 11:22
just so we are clear the zeiss conquest doesnt come in a 30mm tube, its 1" only.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 12:37
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 12:50
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

just so we are clear the zeiss conquest doesnt come in a 30mm tube, its 1" only.

REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 13:00
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

...except for the 3-12X56 Conquest...

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-12x56-Conquest-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P1781.aspx

WOW now we are getting somewhere this scope is in my price range, meets the focal desires etc.. Can you get it in the no.4 with high knobs? 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 13:22

ok sorry i should of said they dont have a 4.5x14x50 in a 30mm which is what he said he was looking for.Embarrased
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 15:30
I'm sure many will disagree but I find it difficult to judge any product based on price in today's global economy, brand names are just that and don't carry the respect they once did.

I've seen scopes that cost 700-800 bucks not as clear glass as those 300-400, it all depends on what you need,how much you want to spend, do you take care of your tools or prefer to just toss them around. Opinions of scopes on all forums are as varied as guns. I suggest going to as many shops as you can and check each brand out in person.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 18:46
Originally posted by oldguy oldguy wrote:

I'm sure many will disagree but I find it difficult to judge any product based on price in today's global economy, brand names are just that and don't carry the respect they once did.

I've seen scopes that cost 700-800 bucks not as clear glass as those 300-400, it all depends on what you need,how much you want to spend, do you take care of your tools or prefer to just toss them around. Opinions of scopes on all forums are as varied as guns. I suggest going to as many shops as you can and check each brand out in person.

Enough is to much.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 19:15
Originally posted by REP REP wrote:

WOW now we are getting somewhere this scope is in my price range, meets the focal desires etc.. Can you get it in the no.4 with high knobs? 

No, the #8 is the only reticle available in this scope, and it isn't available with high target / tactical turrets.

Why are you so insistent on a 30mm main tube and tall turrets?  The only advantage the 30mm tube offers (besides the fact that the super premium scope manufacturers lavish their best technology in their 30mm models) is more elevation adjustment potential (not all 30mm scopes actually have more adjustment range than 1" scopes) and greater power zoom range.  If you don't plan to use the scope for super long range shooting, you don't need a 30mm (or larger) tube.  Tall turrets are not necessary for typical big game hunting, where the vast majority of your shot opportunities are less than 400 yards.  In most hunting situations, they are actually a liability, because they get in the way of gun cases, scabbards, hang up on stuff.  With some designs, they can easily be rotated away from zero through use if you're not careful.  For half the price of the high end 30mm scopes, you have quite a few superb 1" scopes to choose from, the Conquest being one of them.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 19:31

...I have no idea of what’s out there and when you are paying for hype with a good advertizing budget or real quality. This is where I am now hoping to learn of an offering that is of outstanding quality a real world price.      

Since you were considering Zeiss, rest assured, you are paying for outstanding quality if you buy any scope bearing the Zeiss name.  They don't make anything that isn't high quality.  The Conquest series is their "value" line, and they are still very high quality.  It's hard to beat Conquest in its price range.  

The Bushnell Elite 4200 series are very good, high quality scopes, especially for the money.  They are among the best values out there.  They don't quite have the optical performance of the Conquest, but they aren't that far behind really.

The Trijicon Accupoint series are great scopes as well.  They seem to me to be somewhere between Elite 4200 and Conquest class optically.  Plus, they have a very unique, innovative non-electronic illumination system.  I love the Accupoint scopes!  The 3-9X40 and 2.5-10X56 are both superb.  I prefer the 3-9X40 because it is much more compact and has more constant eye relief than the 2.5-10X56, but the latter has better low light performance.

In short, quality begins in the $250 - 300 range and you can get some really superb 1" tube scopes for $500 - $1000.  Most of the really good 30mm scopes start at $1200 and go up from there into the stratosphere.  But, if you plan to use your scope for big game hunting, you really don't need to spend more than $1K to get a very high quality scope.
Ted

REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 21:35

No, the #8 is the only reticle available in this scope, and it isn't available with high target / tactical turrets.

Why are you so insistent on a 30mm main tube and tall turrets?  The only advantage the 30mm tube offers (besides the fact that the super premium scope manufacturers lavish their best technology in their 30mm models) is more elevation adjustment potential (not all 30mm scopes actually have more adjustment range than 1" scopes) and greater power zoom range.  If you don't plan to use the scope for super long range shooting, you don't need a 30mm (or larger) tube.  Tall turrets are not necessary for typical big game hunting, where the vast majority of your shot opportunities are less than 400 yards.  In most hunting situations, they are actually a liability, because they get in the way of gun cases, scabbards, hang up on stuff.  With some designs, they can easily be rotated away from zero through use if you're not careful.  For half the price of the high end 30mm scopes, you have quite a few superb 1" scopes to choose from, the Conquest being one of them.

Enough is to much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic