OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3-9 comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-9 comparison
    Posted: July/02/2010 at 21:42
How would ya'll rate the following 3-9's?

Nikon Team Primos

Sightron SII

Bushnell 4200 Elite

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 21:55
I've only got the team primos and have looked through the 4200, but I bet the majority of people would rate them as

1. 4200
2.  team primos
3.  SII
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 22:11
I would definately give the 4200 the #1 spot they have very nice glass and the rainguard finish the other two who cares.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 22:15
if your talking the sightron big sky its another story.
i own two out of the three, the 4200 is probably one of the best scopes under$500 out there right now.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 22:26
Team Primos has a BDC reticle as well, something else to consider
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 23:40
I like the SII a little better than the Team Primos. 4200 on top.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 00:31
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I like the SII a little better than the Team Primos. 4200 on top.

I am with 3_tens on this one.

ILya
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 04:53
4200......Sll......TP
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 22:03
4200 .. Nikon ...SII
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 05:57
Bushy, Sightron, Nikon. Nuff said.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tidmarshsmiths5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 18:30
Looking forward to see if they put the 4200s on clearance.

How are the 4200s in low light?

My nephew looked through my Nikon Team Primos today and exclaimed, "Holy Moly! This thing is crystal clear...wow, the clarity!"  "Here Dad, look through this."  They are a solid Simmons family...hey, they work for them and they have surely taken more deer than me this year...even Mr. Lucky, my nephew...my brother just steps up to 50mm objectives and calls it good.

I'm looking to trade up to either a Zeiss, a Burris Signature Select or something I find that I like in a 42 to 44 Obj...looking to improve my low light while not compromising clarity and crispness.

The Team Primos is a clear crisp scope, but it really gives me nothing in low light.  I think my Burris FFII is a smidgeon better (just a hair) in low light but the Team Primos is even shorter on the tube and sits too far forward on my long bolt Savage.  The only other thing I could do is replace the Tallyes and go with a rail, but I really just don't like them over my bolt...it's a loading thing for me with that blind magazine.

If, however, the 4200 is an easier mount (I'll go look up the dimensions) and they are out there for a steal...perhaps, I may look at one of these.  I'm afraid unless I get up there around $400 I'm just going to be dissatisfied as they are probably (for my eyes) similar or not enough difference to replace the Nikon with.

What say you?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 18:37
Originally posted by tidmarshsmiths5 tidmarshsmiths5 wrote:

Looking forward to see if they put the 4200s on clearance.

How are the 4200s in low light?

My nephew looked through my Nikon Team Primos today and exclaimed, "Holy Moly! This thing is crystal clear...wow, the clarity!"  "Here Dad, look through this."  They are a solid Simmons family...hey, they work for them and they have surely taken more deer than me this year...even Mr. Lucky, my nephew...my brother just steps up to 50mm objectives and calls it good.

I'm looking to trade up to either a Zeiss, a Burris Signature Select or something I find that I like in a 42 to 44 Obj...looking to improve my low light while not compromising clarity and crispness.

The Team Primos is a clear crisp scope, but it really gives me nothing in low light.  I think my Burris FFII is a smidgeon better (just a hair) in low light but the Team Primos is even shorter on the tube and sits too far forward on my long bolt Savage.  The only other thing I could do is replace the Tallyes and go with a rail, but I really just don't like them over my bolt...it's a loading thing for me with that blind magazine.

If, however, the 4200 is an easier mount (I'll go look up the dimensions) and they are out there for a steal...perhaps, I may look at one of these.  I'm afraid unless I get up there around $400 I'm just going to be dissatisfied as they are probably (for my eyes) similar or not enough difference to replace the Nikon with.

What say you?

good enough for me to kill a doe at first legal light on opening morning on 6x! at 100yds. lf you spend more a zeiss conquest will get you a little more.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 19:33

The 4200 3-9x40 is already a bargain at its current price

As a Savage owner myself I too look at scope lengths.  The 4200's are longer than many others and are easy to mount in the proper position

The TP reticle is hideous.  All Nikon BDC reticles are hideous. 

Never looked through a SII, wouldn't bother either with the 4200 3-9x40 priced as it is

The Conquest et. al, are indeed nice glass, but in a different price class too
tidmarshsmiths5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 19:49
Originally posted by Smokey53119 Smokey53119 wrote:

The 4200 3-9x40 is already a bargain at its current price

As a Savage owner myself I too look at scope lengths.  The 4200's are longer than many others and are easy to mount in the proper position

The TP reticle is hideous.  All Nikon BDC reticles are hideous. 

Never looked through a SII, wouldn't bother either with the 4200 3-9x40 priced as it is

The Conquest et. al, are indeed nice glass, but in a different price class too

Smokey...what glass do you use on that Savage?

I agree...the BDC reticle for whitetail deer hunting in the Southeast is a waste of my time and way too busy...although, bro says if I hunted gas lines like they do sometimes it would come in handy...
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 21:59
I have a few Savages...

7mm Rem Mag long action wears a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 on an EGW one piece base and Burris Sig Zee rings.  The FF-II was too short for a two piece base system

223 Rem short action wears a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44 on a Ken Farrel base and Burris Sig Zee rings.  Scope fits with two piece bases but the Farrell base was a great deal

243 Win long action wears a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on Burris XTR bases and Burris Sig Zee 30mm rings.  This rifle had a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 UCC on the same bases and Burris Sig Zee rings in 1 inch

223 Rem long action wears a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 UCC on Burris XTR bases and Burris Sig Zee rings

22-250 long action wears an original Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-20x44 on Burris XTR bases and Burris Sig Zee rings.  This one will get another Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 UCC I have waiting for it as soon as I buy some more Burris XTR bases or an EGW base.  The Nikon is too short for this base/ring combo

243 Win short action wears a Minox ZA3 3-9x40 on Burris standard turn in bases and and Burris Sig rings.  This rifle has had a 4200 3-9x40 on it with the same bases and rings. 

7mm-08 Rem short action wears a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III on Burris dual dovetail bases and Burris Sig rings.  This rifle has had a 4200-3-9x40 on it with the same bases and rings, and a FF-II 3-9x40 with XTR bases and Sig Zee rings.  The FF-II fit ok with the dd bases, but I needed it further back for proper eye positioning
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 22:10

I dont have an SII, but I have the 4200 and the TP and I would put the 4200 ahead of the TP.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic